PDA

View Full Version : Removing frame protection tape residue

Ozz
08-01-2020, 05:54 PM
What is a good way to remove tape residue?

I put some on on my carbon fork where a speed sensor was mounted (15 yrs ago)....don't use any more and now want to get the tape off.

I used WD-40 and got most the layers of tape off, but the residue is being very stubborn....

Recommendations appreciated.

Dave
08-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Products like goof off really do work better for this purpose. I had tape on new Colnago frames that was already turning yellow and peeling it off left all of the adhesive on the bike. Some very old goof off worked great.

Modern urethane paints should not be damaged by goof off.

Dead Man
08-01-2020, 07:49 PM
Products like goof off really do work better for this purpose. I had tape on new Colnago frames that was already turning yellow and peeling it off left all of the adhesive on the bike. Some very old goof off worked great.

theres goo gone and goof off.. one is orange oil based, one is organic solvent based.... orange is fine for painted stuff, organic solvents will ruin painted finishes.. i dont remember which is which, but make sure you know which is which if/when you buy. they sound and look much too alike 🙂

i mean, itll say right on the side of the can.. so it aint hard.

thats all i have to contribute. DEAD MAN OOT

cinema
08-01-2020, 07:54 PM
it takes a little bit of time but what always works for me, instead of using chemicals that may dull the clear or paint, is to cut another fresh piece of frame tape or similar adhesive tape. use that as a magnet basically and stick it to the fork on and off repeatedly pushing down on remnants of adhesive left over. i use a small maybe 2 inch square piece of tape and push hard with my thumbs and rip upwards. maybe a little swirling action to pick up stubborn adhesive, again and again. usually need a couple separate pieces of tape as they become full of old adhesive. eventually it will all come off

johnmdesigner
08-01-2020, 08:17 PM
Bestine rubber cement thinner will take it off immediately.
Less work less words.

glepore
08-01-2020, 08:23 PM
As above, goo gone. Goof off is s weak paint remover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallymann
08-01-2020, 09:25 PM
xxx

smead
08-01-2020, 10:17 PM
For sticker / tape residue on glass or painted surfaces, I've always used peanut butter. Seriously, it works, rub it in good, might have to use a finger nail for really tough spots, but has always worked for me w/o a scratch. You can lick your fingers when done!

dgauthier
08-02-2020, 03:45 AM
Low odor mineral spirits.

g00se
08-02-2020, 06:38 AM
Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Brilliant stuff for getting label/tape gum off of surfaces.

R3awak3n
08-02-2020, 06:39 AM
+1 for goo gone. Now, it will still take some scrubbin, but it will do the job.

Beanbiken
08-02-2020, 06:46 AM
Eucalyptus oil....... if you can get it in the States.

Mikej
08-02-2020, 07:08 AM
What type of tape?

Ozz
08-02-2020, 08:10 AM
What type of tape?
I can't remember the name....got it from Colorado Cyclist 15+ yrs ago (2" x 10' roll).....maybe called "Bike Saver"?

Peter P.
08-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Mineral Spirits will work and won't damage the paint. I just used it yesterday to remove the adhesive from the foam insulating strips that were inside my air conditioner sleeve. Definitely stronger than WD-40, which is reasonably good by itself.

As far as the Goo Gone/Goof Off confusion: You want GOO GONE. I'm holding a bottle. It's a "Goo & Adhesive Remover". "Removes sticky, gummy, gooey messes." "Surface Safe". There are no precautions on the label for painted surfaces.

saf-t
08-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Vegetable oil can be a remarkably good and non-toxic solvent from removing adhesives

tylercheung
08-04-2020, 11:37 AM
what about rubbing alcohol? is that generally bad?

jb_11
08-04-2020, 04:14 PM
it takes a little bit of time but what always works for me, instead of using chemicals that may dull the clear or paint, is to cut another fresh piece of frame tape or similar adhesive tape. use that as a magnet basically and stick it to the fork on and off repeatedly pushing down on remnants of adhesive left over. i use a small maybe 2 inch square piece of tape and push hard with my thumbs and rip upwards. maybe a little swirling action to pick up stubborn adhesive, again and again. usually need a couple separate pieces of tape as they become full of old adhesive. eventually it will all come off

This +1

Failing that, I move on to goo gone. It leaves an oily residue which you can remove with a light cleaner

Failing that, 3M adhesive remover

Dave
08-04-2020, 05:25 PM
what about rubbing alcohol? is that generally bad?

It's not bad, but probably won't work. Mineral spirits will, but not as well as goo gone or goof off. If goof off hurts your paint, it's not a modern urethane.

Allcarbon
08-04-2020, 05:58 PM
Goo gone is the way to go with stubborn adhesives. I used to soak a rag/paper towels in goo gone and wrap old vintage bars with it for about 15 minutes. Made that stubborn bar tape adhesive from old bar tape come off quite quickly. Would make quick work getting it all off if you aren't afraid to use a lot of goo gone at once.