PDA

View Full Version : OT: Batten down the hatches

Keith A
07-31-2020, 04:45 PM
Looks like Florida will get a visit from Isaias this weekend. The current forecast has the center of the storm pretty close to passing over my area on Sunday.
:bike:

As a surfer, I used to love hurricane season...but not anymore. We've had too many of them come our way lately :help:

Rpoole8537
07-31-2020, 04:48 PM
I attended college in Central FL and still have many friends there. Fingers crossed for all of you. Batten down.

Ralph
07-31-2020, 05:14 PM
It looks like it's coming over your house, but we both know how that goes. Not expecting much here in Longwood, but you just never know. My wife gets all excited.....fills up all the cars, all the empty gas cans, charges up all the battery powered devices, spare batteries out, gets her oil fired lanterns ready, garbage cans stored away, (she reminds me I sold my generator) etc. You would think a cat 5 was bearing down on us. Stay safe over there.

Keith A
07-31-2020, 05:39 PM
Thanks. We have a great generator, a Honda eu3000i. Clean "inverter" power, quiet and fuel efficient. We bought this back 2004/05 when we got hit by 3 hurricanes. We were without power for more than a month. As long as we can keep the fridge, freezer and small A/C unit...then we are good.

gbcoupe
07-31-2020, 06:00 PM
In-laws left from Jupiter/Tequesta to the Eastern Shore of Maryland same day travel was restricted, so my father in-law could be closer to Johns Hopkins. He'll probably never see it again, but hopefully their (or anyone's) house doesn't get pounded.

Wish you guys well.

Blue Jays
07-31-2020, 06:37 PM
Good luck and be very careful, everyone.
Hope the hurricane spins-off in a safe direction and disappears in the ocean.

Peter P.
07-31-2020, 07:40 PM
... My wife gets all excited.....fills up all the cars, all the empty gas cans, charges up all the battery powered devices, spare batteries out, gets her oil fired lanterns ready, garbage cans stored away....

You should say to her-"Honey; you forgot the wine and condoms!"
;)

Ralph
07-31-2020, 08:35 PM
You should say to her-"Honey; you forgot the wine and condoms!"
;)

We have wine!!

el cheapo
08-01-2020, 05:10 AM
Parents went through Hurricane Andrew in 1992 which nearly wiped out Dade County. It looked like a typical tropical storm or Cat 1 until it blew up over night with 200 mph winds. For you newbys to Florida... don't take these storms for granted. Good luck!

BobC
08-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Current projections have the center of the storm passing right over my house Tuesday @ 0200.

steveoz
08-01-2020, 04:41 PM
I'm a little south of it's path, forecasts show a lot of dry, Sahara dust air in it's way - shouldn't spin up Like Andrew - got the sliding shutters lubed just in case I need to make a quick batten-down, but overall I'm not to worried about it...

Keith A
08-01-2020, 09:04 PM
Parents went through Hurricane Andrew in 1992 which nearly wiped out Dade County. It looked like a typical tropical storm or Cat 1 until it blew up over night with 200 mph winds. For you newbys to Florida... don't take these storms for granted. Good luck!I've been in Florida all my life, and have lived through quite a few storms. I've also participated in more hurricane cleanups than I can count on two hands -- and Andrew was one of the worst I've seen. The storm wasn't very large, but it was like a huge tornado that just cleared everything in it's path. I was there with our church group for a week, and the damage was incredible.

I don't think our current storm has the potential of Andrew, but I certainly won't let my guard down until it has moved past us.

Let's hope that we are all spared any significant damage.

Keith A
08-04-2020, 01:39 PM
This storm turned out to be a non-event for us in Florida, but it sounds like the NE wasn't as fortunate. Just saw that 1.7 million are without power in the NE. Hope everyone up there is doing okay.

reuben
08-04-2020, 03:03 PM
I'm in the Chesapeake Bay area.

We got a boatload of rain - almost sideways at times - and high winds, but that's about it. Lots of people w/o power, mostly in VA from what I can tell, but they should be restored pretty quick.

No trees fell on my house this time, unlike a couple of years ago. Yay! (pro tip - if you have Allstate, ditch them; and I say that as someone whose agent is a friend, and he agreed that I got screwed by the claims department, which he had started hearing bad things about over the previous few years)

I will say that the wind was quite loud, and trees were swaying rather wildly. Later I noticed that the wind was rather calm but the noise was almost the same. So I went outside.

I have NEVER heard so many frogs singing so loudly. There are a lot of frogs behind a neighbor (hundreds) and other locations close by (thousands), but I've never heard anything like it. Absolutely amazing. To top it all off the peepers were adding some alto and soprano.