PDA

View Full Version : A little rant about Schwalbe tires...

XXtwindad
07-31-2020, 11:04 AM
I used to be a big Schwalbe fan boy. I still really like the way they roll. But man, do they seem to be fragile. In the past year, I’ve punctured three Schwalbe tires within two months of purchasing them: two Racing Ralph addix(es) and, just a few days ago, the Pro One 25c. They’re not that cheap, either. Initially, I ascribed it to bad luck, rough terrain, or too much junk in the trunk.

I don’t think so now. Anyone else have this experience with Schwalbe tires? Conversely, any recommendations in the 28c tubeless category? I really, really am sick of punctures. I’m intrigued by the IRC Formula Pro RBCC tires. They seem highly regarded.

redir
07-31-2020, 11:14 AM
I still have a few sets of Tubulars but after that I think I am done with Schwalbe tires too. I found the clinchers to be ok though (can't remember what they were called) but the tubulars don't ride as well as like a Veloflex in the same price range. IMHO

many_styles
07-31-2020, 11:19 AM
TBH, getting punctures is just a string a bad luck. Yeah, no one likes dealing with them, but the trade off is riding a tire that’s super stiff and has a ton of puncture resistance built in.

I’m on the other end of the spectrum. Decided to ride Rene Herse tires on my road (26mm, standard casing) and now on my Ritchey, 38mm, also standard casing.

The 26mm road tires, ride sooo comfy! I’m tempted to get the extralite casing.

Just take your recent case of bad luck with a grain of salt. It’s a small sample size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charliedid
07-31-2020, 11:20 AM
Never had a problem with them either personally or in a shop situation.

kppolich
07-31-2020, 11:24 AM
Over 5,000 miles of tubeless bliss on 700x28mm Schwalbe Pro 1's here without a puncture. The older version not the latest.

I have a few friends who equate tubeless road to thinking they don't have to steer around objects or handle their bike and just beat them something fierce. That's not the case for road use. Change up your sealant to something more concentrated so when punctures happen they seal instead of a puncture turning to a flat.

-KP

John H.
07-31-2020, 11:36 AM
Are your mtb tires of the Snakeskin variety?
The lightskin are pretty fragile.

My experience has been the direct opposite.
I rarely flat- and when I do it is usually on a very worn tire. For me, Schwable tires have been set and forget.

I used to be a big Schwalbe fan boy. I still really like the way they roll. But man, do they seem to be fragile. In the past year, I’ve punctured three Schwalbe tires within two months of purchasing them: two Racing Ralph addix(es) and, just a few days ago, the Pro One 25c. They’re not that cheap, either. Initially, I ascribed it to bad luck, rough terrain, or too much junk in the trunk.

I don’t think so now. Anyone else have this experience with Schwalbe tires? Conversely, any recommendations in the 28c tubeless category? I really, really am sick of punctures. I’m intrigued by the IRC Formula Pro RBCC tires. They seem highly regarded.

yinzerniner
07-31-2020, 11:46 AM
On the previous-gen Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless I used to get a puncture (which sealed with a bit of sealant spray) every third ride or so. Don't know if this is due to bad luck or poor construction. The only puncture that I got that didn't seal was nailing a pothole which tore the sidewall but also wrecked the rim. But doing the old patch and sew hack worked, and rode the tire for another 1500+miles without fault.

Switched over to the new Pro One Addix TLEs and have never had a noticeable puncture, and they ride much nicer than the previous version.

GP5K tubeless should provide better puncture protection along with faster rolling, but the casing is much stiffer and might ride a bit harsher. Also heard great things about Hutchinson tubeless.

scoobydrew
07-31-2020, 11:49 AM

I rarely flat- and when I do it is usually on a very worn tire. For me, Schwable tires have been set and forget.

+1 -- Which casing does the OP have? Where do the punctures occur? They sound pretty severe.

On the 700x28 category, I know folks that have had good luck with Conti GP5000 TL. Not as fast rolling as Vittoria Corsa Speed or even the Schwalbes, but the difference apparently marginal.

Red Tornado
07-31-2020, 12:00 PM
My experience is with MTB tires. Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 rear/2.25 front. Never had major puncture issues with them, but that 2.1 on the rear seems to wear out in NO TIME AT ALL. I can burn through three of them to one front 2.25. They are the compound prior to Addix, can't remember the name at the moment. Other than that great tires, roll good, handle good.

Sorry if I bumped this thread a little off direction....

WindyCityCy
07-31-2020, 12:11 PM
I have been riding tubeless for 6-7 years. The Schwalbes from like 6 years ago seemed to be better at avoiding punctures but incredibly hard to mount. The last batch I purchased (2-3 years ago) didn't fare well with our terrible CA roads and I was getting punctures after only a few rides with almost every tire so I switched to Hutchinson and have had much better luck.

Onno
07-31-2020, 12:14 PM
Same experience here. When I switched to tubeless 2 years ago, I used Schwalbe Pro One, 30mm. Flatted both front and back about 4 times in a couple of months. Switched to Hutchinson, and have had no flats, despite about 3000 miles on the same roads.

hobbanero
07-31-2020, 12:31 PM
I've had good experiences with the now last generation Schwalbe Pro One tubeless. I use Orange Seal original formula--the endurance formula is too liquid to seal at road pressures. I get the occasional puncture but only notice because I have sealant on my seat tube. I am pretty good about scanning the road ahead, and if I do run through glass or other junk, I clean the tire immediately with a water bottle (never with my hand).

pdonk
07-31-2020, 12:40 PM
Like the way the pro 1s ride. Hated trying to mount or remove to change tubes. Actually destroyed a rim as tire would not seat properly during a road side change.

At home using a floir pump. Not much better, even soaping bead. At shop with a compressor seemed to be only way they would mount.

I have since switched to conti gp5000 non tubeless and could not be happier. Mount and remove with no tools. Have only flatted after running over nails or glass.

kingpin75s
07-31-2020, 02:03 PM

+2 on the MTB end.

Lots of Liteskins sold as OEM to keep build weights down. I can run them on my local trails in MN without issue, but I run snakeskin for any bikes that I take out of state to ride or race. My friends in CO had to give up on their Liteskins pretty quickly. YMMV based on local terrain.

rnhood
07-31-2020, 03:54 PM
Move up to Continentals, and you’ll be smiling again.

Andreas
07-31-2020, 05:19 PM

Probably either bad luck or user error. 2 MTB tires, one road. Single user.
All noise, no signal. Your initial response was correct.

Schwalbe Pro/G One in 28/30 for a few years. Their price is now up to $35 with the declining value of the US peso due to the orange fascist. I bought another 4 when they were $30.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/schwalbe-pro-one-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-tyre-700c-89170.html

Over 30,000 miles on dirt roads - no flat.

XXtwindad
07-31-2020, 06:42 PM

XXtwindad
07-31-2020, 06:47 PM

Schwalbe Pro/G One in 28/30 for a few years. Their price is now up to $35 with the declining value of the US peso due to the orange fascist. I bought another 4 when they were $30.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/schwalbe-pro-one-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-tyre-700c-89170.html

Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

gbcoupe
07-31-2020, 07:41 PM
Just got some new mattress thick Marathon's included with some wheels I bought. Was going to give them to a co-worker, but I don't think he has bike that will fit 38's. Might try them on my winter bike. They're probably as heavy as the wheelset I bought. Might add to the winter workout as long as they ride OK.

David Benson
07-31-2020, 07:55 PM
GP5K tubeless should provide better puncture protection along with faster rolling, but the casing is much stiffer and might ride a bit harsher.

Please explain how the tyre can have a ‘stiffer casing’ yet be ‘faster rolling’?

joosttx
07-31-2020, 07:57 PM

I have to agree. I have been very pleased. I am riding some Ralph’s racing tires that desperately need to be changed because they are worn out. Even in this bad condition I haven’t yet gotten a flat. I am kinda of doing the Kramer thing with the car and seeing how all it will take before I flat.

bfd
07-31-2020, 07:57 PM
Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

I just picked up a pair of Schwalbe One V-Guard 700x30 tires, which actually measure 29mm wide on my narrow rims, and so far I like them! But I only have a few hundred miles on them. They were also cheap at $25 per tire:

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?s=u&q=Schwalbe+one

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

joosttx
07-31-2020, 07:59 PM

Some people just ride heavy which causes them to flat more.

Robot870
07-31-2020, 08:07 PM

This^^

XXtwindad
07-31-2020, 08:26 PM
Some people just ride heavy which causes them to flat more.

haha. can't help all the junk in the trunk.

Unovis
08-01-2020, 01:25 AM
Had a pair of Schwalbes and they were terrible. Numerous flats while commuting.

ultraman6970
08-01-2020, 08:06 AM
The issue is that are so inconsistent that is really hard to go with this brand all the time because you never know exactly what are you going to get, a 10k miles tire or a cursed one that will last 2 miles.

Remember used a set of clinchers and a set of tubulars, the ultremo clinchers one was ok the other one turned like paper really quick. The tubular set besides being super straight as usual with them, went bad super quick, think got like 400 400 miles out of the set before I puncture them badly enough to just trash them. This was years ago so surprise me read that they havent changed that much ever since.

MikeD
08-01-2020, 10:08 AM

I switched from the Conti 4000S to the Vittoria Rubino Pros. The Vittorias are better. They don't shed threads from the chafer strip and are not out of round, like some of my Contis were. I've read that the 5000 tubeless tires are a royal pain to get on and off the rims. No more Continentals for me.

FlashUNC
08-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Continentals may not flat, but have all the ride quality of taping garden hose to your rims.

bironi
08-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Clinchers,
Vittoria Open Pave
Vittoria Corsa
Schwalbe One
All with latex tubes
28's
Happy with all.
I watch for sales, usually the model being replaced by a more expensive model.

many_styles
08-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Continentals may not flat, but have all the ride quality of taping garden hose to your rims.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gasman
08-01-2020, 12:24 PM
My Schwalbe Marathon plus haven’t flatted yet. Of course they ride like crap and are heavy but they don’t flat.

makoti
08-01-2020, 01:06 PM
I switched from the Conti 4000S to the Vittoria Rubino Pros. The Vittorias are better. They don't shed threads from the chafer strip and are not out of round, like some of my Contis were. I've read that the 5000 tubeless tires are a royal pain to get on and off the rims. No more Continentals for me.

Then it must be true.
These are what I ride. Tubeless. No more trouble with them than any other tire I've tried.

MikeD
08-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Then it must be true.

These are what I ride. Tubeless. No more trouble with them than any other tire I've tried.

https://boydcycling.com/blogs/news/a-word-of-warning-regarding-continental-gp5000-tl-tires

Many people complaining about them on the Weight Weenies forum.

Guess you got lucky.