PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars for fixed gear mid-range rides

BRad704
07-31-2020, 09:27 AM
Unofficial poll because I'm bullhorn-curious...

I built myself a fixed gear road bike this week and after 24 miles at lunch yesterday, I think I'll keep it around for a while. In general, I ride on the hoods anyway and only go for the drops if I'm really pushing it. I don't plan on setting any aero-world-records on this bike and I'm pretty comfortable getting low from the hoods anyway (the whole "horizontal forearm" deal).

My actual question is... will I regret taking the drop bars off and putting on bullhorns? I can get them free at the co-op, but is it worth the time and effort?

Allcarbon
07-31-2020, 09:34 AM
I used to ride fixed gear brake-less. Aside from being a fan of how bullhorns look, it was nice not having to worry about blowing out my top tube with drop bars swinging into them. Having more hand positions with drops is always nice, but the fixed gear bike was used for fun rides.

rustychisel
07-31-2020, 09:35 AM
probably... but try them.

Less hand positions on bullhorns, and don't forget to get the same positional depth and reach you'll probably need to lower the stem and run a shorter stem. Bullhorns are generally longer (forward) and the sweep is up from bar centre rather than dropped.

chrismoustache
07-31-2020, 09:44 AM
I'd go for it.

Changing bars always seemed easy enough on a fixed gear since you typically odn't have as many bits and pieces to remove.

Alternate suggestion, mustache bars?

BRad704
07-31-2020, 09:50 AM
probably... but try them.

Less hand positions on bullhorns, and don't forget to get the same positional depth and reach you'll probably need to lower the stem and run a shorter stem. Bullhorns are generally longer (forward) and the sweep is up from bar centre rather than dropped.

Good thought. Co-op has several bins of quill stems and a mountain of loose bars. My plan was/is to grab a second stem to go with the bars, so I can just unbolt the current brakes and pull the stem. Quick and easy.

BRad704
07-31-2020, 09:58 AM
I'd go for it.

Changing bars always seemed easy enough on a fixed gear since you typically odn't have as many bits and pieces to remove.

Alternate suggestion, mustache bars?

I had a set of Midge bars that I never really liked, so they are actually hanging at the co-op for someone else to try out. :)

Look585
07-31-2020, 10:04 AM
As mentioned above, bullhorns will need a shorter stem and likely a lower position, even if you get bullhorns with some drop.

I like the Virtue Taylor (http://www.virtuebike.com/handlebars/virtue-major-taylor-bar-40cm) or Nitto B130AAF (https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/product/27741-nitto-handlebar-b130aaf-2751). Both are sort of halfway between mustache and drop bars. The Virtues are much cheaper and have a bit more of a downward sweep to the "ramp" while the Nittos (expensive) have a longer reach and a more forward sweep to the "ramp".

Both are fairly shallow drop overall and put you in a nice intermediate position between where you'd be in the drops vs hoods on normal road bars.

I run mine with a cross lever mounted next to the stem for front braking.

smead
07-31-2020, 10:16 AM
Unofficial poll because I'm bullhorn-curious...

I built myself a fixed gear road bike this week and after 24 miles at lunch yesterday, I think I'll keep it around for a while. In general, I ride on the hoods anyway and only go for the drops if I'm really pushing it. I don't plan on setting any aero-world-records on this bike and I'm pretty comfortable getting low from the hoods anyway (the whole "horizontal forearm" deal).

My actual question is... will I regret taking the drop bars off and putting on bullhorns? I can get them free at the co-op, but is it worth the time and effort?

You are riding it on the road, why would your bars and overall fit requirements be any different than on a geared bike?

BRad704
07-31-2020, 10:20 AM
You are riding it on the road, why would your bars and overall fit requirements be any different than on a geared bike?

The fit won't be any different at all. The bullhorns can/should be able to match my current hood hand position.

robt57
07-31-2020, 11:04 AM
Mine has Nitto Rando bars. Had bullhorns at a point, but need better angles for shoulders and the extra hand positions personally. I used to take it on club rides with the geared folk, and the drop was mandatory to stay near or on the front for 30 miles of go fast. Drop for aero and for sprinting type accelerations.

It would tear me up I can tell you, but a few days rest...

But if you are out on your own, not trying to paceline along with geared strong riders [#hasbeen] try everything to see how it melds with your style/effort/body etc etc.

mosca
07-31-2020, 12:19 PM
In my experience, nothing matches the comfort of good old drops and hoods, especially for rides over 2 hrs or so. Even bullhorns didn’t work for me, not really sure why. It’s fun and easy to swap bars, though, so don’t be afraid to experiment. I’m running a narrow-ish mtb riser bar now which I love for shorter rides around town.

David Tollefson
07-31-2020, 12:32 PM
The way you grip (or "hold") bullhorns vs brake levers is very different, and your wrist angle will be different as well. Even if it's comfortable, work up slowly so you don't get tendon issues. Other than that, rock on.

p nut
07-31-2020, 12:43 PM
I’ve got some good climbs around my area (i.e. Little Cottinwood Canyon). Standing and torquing the crud out of the bars. When I had drops, I couldn’t get a good grip when mashing uphills. Sometimes, the levers would slip.

Bullhorns solves the issue. I had a generic Nashbar bullhorns I purchased 13 years ago and still working great. I’ve ridden a few centuries with no issues. If you have big climbs, get the bullhorns.

19wisconsin64
07-31-2020, 12:48 PM
I've been switching over to Cinelli Mash bullhorns, as they have a wide flat area along the tops to put your hands on and they are more comfortable for the way I ride. Some folks have used Nitto bullhorns with success too.
Consider where your brake levers will end up on the bullhorns is also an important consideration.

alexstar
07-31-2020, 01:11 PM
I liked bullhorns for riding around SF; in terms of hand positions, they're pretty much just like riding drop bars with brake hoods, minus the drops. I didn't miss that position because I so rarely used it for city riding. YMMV of course. The good thing about bars on fixed gear bikes is, it's so much easier to swap them out, so why not give it a try?

Drmojo
07-31-2020, 01:35 PM
trust me
bullhorns not optimal on
fixed double century
Solvang and Camino
oh the regrets of youthful exuberance!

BRad704
07-31-2020, 02:25 PM
fixed double century

:eek:

I don't even have a geared double century on my radar right now, but I'm not gonna say "never".

bicycletricycle
07-31-2020, 02:38 PM
i always preffered horns on fixed

fiamme red
07-31-2020, 02:43 PM
I've ridden long events on a fixed-gear (well, at least up to a 600 km brevet), always on drop bars. The problem is that with all the pulling on the hoods when you're climbing steep hills, your hands eventually bruise and blister painfully. I'd guess that double-wrapped bullhorns would be much easier on your hands.

If you're just doing rides that are flat or rolling, go with drop bars for sure.

jemdet
07-31-2020, 03:36 PM
You trade in some 2020 style points for 2004 style points when you switch from drops to bullhorns :)

robt57
07-31-2020, 04:14 PM
:eek:

I don't even have a geared double century on my radar right now, but I'm not gonna say "never".

We met a guy on his fixed while on the Tandem out and back 48 miler. [up and down too]

Wife is a good stoker and I am The Energizer bunny pedaling.

7 mile climb, wife was getting peeved I would not stop pace or pedaling for respite. The fixed dude I had to let go, and watched him go away in front of us.

On the return, the 7 miles of no pedaling on the bombing run she was ok with. Some crazy braking for sweepers etc.

Anyway, 4-5 miles of flat to the end, we FTPed it after that long 7 mile rest. Just as we stop to wait by the cars the fixy guy shows up dripping in sweat, told us he almost kept us in sight on the descent a few times, and went into orbit many times trying.

Some of you Fixed riders are insanely insane. In a good way. ;)

Asudef
08-03-2020, 06:03 PM
My first fixed conversion had the Nitto RB021 pursuit bars and they were great especially since I was surrounded by hills. Its easy to ride out of saddle and allows you to still get low and aero. Have done near centuries on that setup with no issues.
I've wanted to try the RB009 but am now riding Nitto Moustache bars and can't see myself using anything else.

I never particularly cared for drops but also never had them with the road lever set up. Not a fan of the stubby flipped and chopped bullhorns though, they look super goofy and amateur.

Jef58
08-04-2020, 05:02 AM
I prefer regular drop bars with road brake hoods to be good for duplicating road bike riding if using a brake. I have one brake so the other hood is a dummy for my hands. Bullhorns were fine for me if just doing casual short rides. If you go the bullhorn route, I like the Paul Cross levers. They work pretty well and easy to get on/off the bar if needed. I have a tendency to switch from time to time, but usually have road bars on...