PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with the Alpitude Saddle?

bianchi10
07-31-2020, 09:16 AM
Have often been curious about a raw carbon shell saddle. I have been told that the flex from a well made carbon saddle makes up for the no padding. Wearing good padding shorts and proper set up can result in a very comfortable saddle.

I've been very sensitive to saddle shape in the past and the Specialized Power saddle has been the only shape to not give me chaffing. So one might say, "Don't try to fix what aint broken!", Which is what I always come back to. However, the curiosity always comes back to hit me. Since the Power saddle has worked so well, I've tried looking into other carbon saddles with similar shape. I looked at the Berk Dila, but really dislike the super wide nose. I've been looking at the Alpitude Gardena saddle for some time now because the shape appears to be very similar to the Power saddle. The only thing that concerns me is the front 3 or 4 inches of that nose. Judging a book by its cover, I feel like it could feel like sitting on two rulers that are on their edges. I have done a bit of online searching and only come across a handful of small reviews.

Anyone here have experience?

https://alpitude.cc/shop/gardena-carbon-saddle/

htwoopup
08-01-2020, 07:43 PM
I LOVE the Alpitude Gardena.

I have been a longtime SMP Forma and Carbon Lite person. Thought I would try the Alpitude.

Fell in love. Now have it on the Crumpton, Spectrum, and Zanc...the only bike it isn't on is the Seven and that is because that bike sometimes goes on some trails that are probably better ridden on a MTB and I hesitate to use a 63 gram saddle on them with the bouncing that it would entail.

I don't really know about the flex thing you are talking about as I have always found the carbon lite from SMP and the Alpitude which are raw carbon, and the Forma which is really no padding (a thin non-padded microfiber) over carbon to be plenty comfy. Don't know if that is the material or the shape...although the SMP's and the Alpitude are very different shape.

The Alpitude is much shorter than the SMP's and I have not had the problem that you are worried about in the front. I think it is because of the shortness and when in riding position the hips/legs move into a place that it isn't an issue. The cutout/ channel is way way wide too. Much more than any other saddle that I have seen (that's by eye not measure so may be illusory).

bianchi10
08-04-2020, 08:58 PM
I LOVE the Alpitude Gardena.

I have been a longtime SMP Forma and Carbon Lite person. Thought I would try the Alpitude.

Fell in love. Now have it on the Crumpton, Spectrum, and Zanc...the only bike it isn't on is the Seven and that is because that bike sometimes goes on some trails that are probably better ridden on a MTB and I hesitate to use a 63 gram saddle on them with the bouncing that it would entail.

I don't really know about the flex thing you are talking about as I have always found the carbon lite from SMP and the Alpitude which are raw carbon, and the Forma which is really no padding (a thin non-padded microfiber) over carbon to be plenty comfy. Don't know if that is the material or the shape...although the SMP's and the Alpitude are very different shape.

The Alpitude is much shorter than the SMP's and I have not had the problem that you are worried about in the front. I think it is because of the shortness and when in riding position the hips/legs move into a place that it isn't an issue. The cutout/ channel is way way wide too. Much more than any other saddle that I have seen (that's by eye not measure so may be illusory).

Hmmm that's good to know. Glad to hear from someone with some personal experience on it.