PDA

View Full Version : New leather on old Turbo seat?

Scott5182
07-30-2020, 07:34 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for an upholstery shop that will rebuild / install new leather cover on a vintage Turbo seat ?

bikinchris
07-30-2020, 06:25 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for an upholstery shop that will rebuild / install new leather cover on a vintage Turbo seat ?

There used to be a guy who sponsored this board who did that. He stopped doing it and I wanted to follow up and get his tools, but I lost contact and I'm sure its been too long.

Velocipede
07-30-2020, 06:57 PM
LEH in Texas. Jason with Cuero isn't doing saddles anymore. LEH has done multiple saddles for me in the past. Excellent workmanship.

Gsinill
07-30-2020, 07:02 PM
If you are semi-handy you can probably do it yourself.
I did my Rolls after I tried for months to find a red one.
$20 for leather on eBay, a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and you are good to go.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200731/c43ce9d9949b45115f17aa351a4024ee.jpg

charliedid
07-30-2020, 07:18 PM
If you are semi-handy you can probably do it yourself.
I did my Rolls after I tried for months to find a red one.
$20 for leather on eBay, a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and you are good to go.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200731/c43ce9d9949b45115f17aa351a4024ee.jpg

Nice

Do you clamp the leather down after adhesive?

Gsinill
07-30-2020, 07:28 PM
Nice

Do you clamp the leather down after adhesive?

Nope, the glue is strong enough. That stuff is amazing...

charliedid
07-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Nope, the glue is strong enough. That stuff is amazing...

This is glue, strong stuff.

voir dire
07-30-2020, 08:00 PM
Businesses like Leh or Busyman do it, very well, but are too expensive for a simple one-color job one can easily DIY.

When a local cobbler I use for years wanted less, but still $100 for a single-color cover, I instead bought some scrap leather and a tube of Barge cement from him for $10, and just did it myself.

I used the old cover as a template. It worked very well, was easy to do and has lasted, and I have since done two others. I do clamp the edges all around, with various sizes of those strong binder clips, while the cement sets overnight at least.

GregL
07-30-2020, 09:07 PM
Anyone know where I can purchase Lorica synthetic leather to re-cover a saddle? I have two saddles with Lorica covers that are both comfortable and durable. I have several well-used saddles that I’d like to re-cover in the same material.

Thanks,
Greg

Bentley
07-30-2020, 09:32 PM
LEH in Texas. Jason with Cuero isn't doing saddles anymore. LEH has done multiple saddles for me in the past. Excellent workmanship.

Carson Leh is no longer recovering saddles, been about 8 months, probably longer

voir dire
07-30-2020, 09:33 PM
Anyone know where I can purchase Lorica synthetic leather to re-cover a saddle? I have two saddles with Lorica covers that are both comfortable and durable. I have several well-used saddles that I’d like to re-cover in the same material.

Thanks,
Greg
I am not sure the real (Italian, not the cheap Chinese PU) "Lorica" is even sold retail. Sidi and others use it of course for shoes, boat upholsterers, watch strap manufacturers, etc, but I have never seen Lorica sheets or pieces for private retail purchase.

Scott5182
07-31-2020, 07:29 PM
Thank for the response

Blue Jays
07-31-2020, 07:53 PM
Curious as to why several of the saddle recovering businesses have chosen to closed shop with so few in the bizz?
I suppose when one of my saddles needs that service, I will carefully remove the old cover and use it as a template.

Hindmost
07-31-2020, 09:16 PM

Thanks,
Greg

I don't know specifically about Lorica. But I would try local automotive upholstery shops/supply. They have a lot of vinyl options which are likely the equivalent.

GregL
07-31-2020, 10:08 PM
I don't know specifically about Lorica. But I would try local automotive upholstery shops/supply. They have a lot of vinyl options which are likely the equivalent.I have a saddle that was recovered in marine grade vinyl. While the vinyl didn’t abrade, it did crack in multiple locations. In contrast, my two Lorica covered Selle Italia Turbomatic Team saddles still look like new after years of use. Sadly, the Turbomatic Team was only in production for a few years and now are hard to find.

Greg

Louis
07-31-2020, 10:18 PM
Greg, I would check around with the Etsy crowd. If anyone's selling anything on there made of Lorica (easy enough to check) I'm sure they'll be willing to tell you where they got it, or maybe sell you a few scrap pieces.

Good Luck