PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Wells Fargo Text Scam

jtakeda
07-29-2020, 06:45 PM
I just got a text saying my wells fargo CC has a suspicious charge on it.

I found it odd because I literally signed up for this CC to balance transfer debt from my grandmother without a fee and havent used it in years.

The number the text message came from was in the format of the 2 factor authorization- not a 7 digit phone number.

I didnt log in I called wells fargo and learned it was a scam.

just a heads up- It kind of got me--I clicked on the link so just a quick reminder to be careful

AngryScientist
07-29-2020, 06:59 PM
thanks for that. i do a lot of business with WF as they are my main bank.

there seems to be a definite uptick in scammer activity lately.

the PSA is definitely good here, and thank you again, but it's a good reminder that if you have someone close to you who is older and maybe less tech oriented - remind them of this stuff.

it's very unfortunate, but the one's who usually get played are the elderly who can least afford to be scammed. it honestly breaks my hear to think of those scenarios.

scammers like this are scum. period.

bikinchris
07-29-2020, 08:01 PM
I get those. I don't have a Wells Fargo account. Nor a Chase account.

OtayBW
07-30-2020, 06:17 AM
I've had 2 mortgages with WF and a HELOC and have really grown to detest this bank. Strong word, but the way they've managed my account(s) and from some of their other antics, I have lost faith in them a long time ago. Just my $0.02.

520arachnid
07-30-2020, 10:06 AM
Stinkin cons

glepore
07-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Its phishing. They don't know you have a Wells account, but Wells is common enough that they just do a text blast and hope.

unterhausen
07-30-2020, 10:14 AM
I'm always surprised when I get a communication from Wells Fargo that isn't a scam. I guess technically I had an account for a few days when my mother passed, but that has been 6 years now. The bank still occasionally sends me a promotional email.