PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me on aluminum esp. for gravel

cgolvin
07-29-2020, 01:20 PM
I've never ridden an aluminum frame so I have no experience or perspective, though of course I've read a lot of opinions.

I'm helping my brother with finding a 'gravel' bike (mixed use on and off road, disc brakes, 650 and 700 wheels). My initial advice for frame material was ti >> steel >> carbon, but the Zanc listed in the classifieds got me pondering whether aluminum should be in there and where in the order.

More specifically, I'm looking for first hand experience from those who have owned an aluminum bike in this category, pros and cons, and especially if you can contrast it with experience with a bike made of another material in the same category. FWIW, the bike would be on the small end of the spectrum, ~53 ETT.

thanks Mr. & Ms. Paceline

AngryScientist
07-29-2020, 01:24 PM
The zanc will be a great bike in this category. Alloy is a good alternative to keep the frame weight down without having to resort to expensive Ti or carbon.

with a gravel typed bike, a lot of the ride qualities are tuned with the tire and pressure selection, so the frame material has less input on the ride qualities. 10psi out of a 35mm tire will do a lot more to smooth out gravel than steel/aluminum.

as you probably know, i have more bikes than brains, and my zank alloy road-32 is a great bike, and i have ridden it over every surface imaginable. it's definitely different than steel and ti, i would say in general stiffer and more responsive to rider input, which is a good thing generally speaking.

i would have no hesitation to go with well made alu for gravelling.

Hilltopperny
07-29-2020, 01:24 PM
I have owned a few aluminum bikes including a Zanconato cx and I will say it was the best riding aluminum bike I have thrown a leg over. It was snappy and well mannered with the comfort of steel.

I think a typical trait of aluminum bikes is their snappy reactive feeling and modern ones are a bit more compliant then the old school crit bikes like the original Cannondales. I wouldn’t hesitate to go for the Zanc if it will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azrider
07-29-2020, 01:32 PM
Back in racing days I went from one high end carbon race bike to another: Tarmac SL2, Cannnondale SuperSix Evo, BH Ultralight........until I stopped racing and had to pay full price for my own bike and opted for CaaD10. I "PERSONALLY" couldn't tell the difference and never looked back.

I think ALU bike manufacturing has come a loooong way in just past 7 or 8 years alone. I applied that same logic to my "gravel" bike.

My "gravel/cx" bike is an older (2016) Trek Crockett with 700x38 tires. When aired down to 55/60 it gives such an amazing ride and I think your brother would be hard pressed to tell if he's riding carbon or Alu......or any other frame material for that matter.

It's light, strong, durable, stiff and very affordable. Perfect combos for somebody's "first" gravel bike.

my .02

559Rando
07-29-2020, 01:34 PM
My best friend started riding on a Novara Mazama a few years ago. At the time, he hadn't been riding since being a teenager and was super concerned with toe clip overlap, so I steered him to 650B. I was very proud of these choices (bar end shifters, steel frame, 650B).

About 2 years later, he "upgraded" to an aluminum Fuji Jari and couldn't believe the difference. He's smitten with the lower weight, the taller 700C wheels and the brifters.

I still haven't forgiven him.

At this point, he's done thousands of miles on the Jari and it's performed admirable, with no signs of giving up. I guess it's caused me to get off my steel high horse a bit.

He's been coveting another upgrade and explored Ti and carbon and, ultimately, decided that the carbon Jari wouldn't be beat, so now he's got one of those, too.

dbnm
07-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Send this to your brother
https://www.renehersecycles.com/finding-the-perfect-tire-pressure/

Also, is aluminum softer than steel and titanium? If so, that would be a concern for me especially when on bumpy gravel or light single track. I suspect that is why the Ti Gravel bike boom is happening.

colker
07-29-2020, 01:43 PM
Send this to your brother
https://www.renehersecycles.com/finding-the-perfect-tire-pressure/

Also, is aluminum softer than steel and titanium? If so, that would be a concern for me especially when on bumpy gravel or light single track. I suspect that is why the Ti Gravel bike boom is happening.

Ti gravel bike boom is due to disposable income.

rkhatibi
07-29-2020, 02:07 PM
Another plus 1 for aluminum gravel on 38+ tires. I have the same Crockett. 42 WTB Resolutes fit fine and great tubeless. Honestly AL seems like the best choice in reliability, weight, cost, and not being overly invested in a bike you're hopefully going to thrash.

I think ALU bike manufacturing has come a loooong way in just past 7 or 8 years alone. I applied that same logic to my "gravel" bike.

My "gravel/cx" bike is an older (2016) Trek Crockett with 700x38 tires. When aired down to 55/60 it gives such an amazing ride and I think your brother would be hard pressed to tell if he's riding carbon or Alu......or any other frame material for that matter.

It's light, strong, durable, stiff and very affordable. Perfect combos for somebody's "first" gravel bike.

my .02

azrider
07-29-2020, 02:36 PM
Another plus 1 for aluminum gravel on 38+ tires. I have the same Crockett. 42 WTB Resolutes fit fine and great tubeless. Honestly AL seems like the best choice in reliability, weight, cost, and not being overly invested in a bike you're hopefully going to thrash.

Love the "hopefully" ;)

But with that said, I was on an "epic" ish ride last year with some buddies.....there was a good representation of different frame materials and when we were bombing a hardpacked gravel section there were rocks getting kicked up and "pinging" everyone's frames like crazy...........as soon as we stopped for a food break all the carbon guys were inspecting their frames with a fine tooth comb as I and the other 'metal' riders obliviously snarfed our snacks.......:hello:

p nut
07-29-2020, 02:38 PM
One of my favorite bikes I owned was a Salsa Warbird aluminum. Nice stiffness and fat tires negated the “compliance” issue. Rode nice.