PDA

View Full Version : Campy Tips thread

eippo1
07-29-2020, 11:07 AM
So I've been mostly doing my own wrenching for years and enjoy doing it.

Right up until I have to change cables on Campy levers. Anyone have any tips on how to do it?

I hate the kink method because the kink always ends up right at the rear derailleur. And the push down with a tool method is a nightmare because right about the time I start to get it down, it will fray at the end. So I have had a bike sitting for a month because I hate doing this.

While I'm ranting I might as well ask the Paceline mind one other question. So I increased my wheel collection by a lot with a new tubular set and another being built and plan to swap these around with my Shimano bike as well. Is it better to match the chain with the cassette or the derailleur? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks for listening.

Mark McM
07-29-2020, 11:28 AM
I hate the kink method because the kink always ends up right at the rear derailleur. And the push down with a tool method is a nightmare because right about the time I start to get it down, it will fray at the end. So I have had a bike sitting for a month because I hate doing this.

The kink only needs to be in the last few millimeters from end of the cable. Once the cable is threaded through the derailleur, cut the kinked section off before threading the cable through the housings/frame/derailleur.

Columbus SLX
07-29-2020, 11:34 AM
Yeah, used cables never feed well on modern Campy, and fray. I've silver brazed the tips in the past to get used ones to feed, but that's excessive I realize. New cables are pre-soldered to avoid fraying.

I go with the cut-off-the-kink method as Mark suggests.

wallymann
07-29-2020, 11:55 AM
i've used campy ergo shifting since introduction of 8 speed and have no idea what y'all are talking about.

Mark McM
07-29-2020, 12:14 PM
i've used campy ergo shifting since introduction of 8 speed and have no idea what y'all are talking about.

8spd, 9spd & 10spd ergo levers were easy. But with 11spd ergo levers, a cable guide with a sharp bend was added (before the cable enters the housing). The cable guide is open in the middle, so once you thread the cable into the guide, it pops out of the middle of the guide, and you have to somehow bend the cable to get it to the guide's (very small) exit hole.

https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/21/2019/03/1264517072229-rc7thloqq71b-96b9e7f.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=620%2C412

wallymann
07-29-2020, 12:16 PM
8spd, 9spd & 10spd ergo levers were easy.

ah...the benefits of being a dinosaur! ;-)

cant you just use a small flat screwdriver to persuade the cable into the guide?

if the cable's already been cut, a couple drops of super-glue (allowed to cure) may help it from coming un-wound/fraying.

jpritchet74
07-29-2020, 01:00 PM

Same.

But it looks like since I am still using 10s ergo levers that I don't have to worry.

old_fat_and_slow
07-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Campy 10-spd forever !!!

FlashUNC
07-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Either cut the kink or guide it through with a screwdriver or some other tool to minimize the kink. I've also had better luck with running it through the routing that goes to the back of the bar, but I realize that may not lead to ideal bar comfort.

Ain't no thang.

Columbus SLX
07-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Same.

But it looks like since I am still using 10s ergo levers that I don't have to worry.

Correct, it's only the gumby shape that is the issue.

fmradio516
07-29-2020, 01:39 PM
When i first got my 11s shifters, i went through a couple very expensive shift cables trying to get them through(this was before I knew you had to kink them)

Hindmost
07-29-2020, 01:44 PM
...Yeah, used cables never feed well on modern Campy...

Especially with all the cable housing in place and taped. Almost worth using a new cable (or an old cable that you can successfully solder etc).

C40_guy
07-29-2020, 01:47 PM
Same.

Yep. Me too. Have a half dozen sets of Record 10 shifters (and wheelsets) in the fleet. Not moving beyond that anytime soon...

zero85ZEN
07-29-2020, 02:08 PM

I am right here as well. I have NO CLUE what the OP is talking about and I have wrenched on my extensive fleet of Campy equipped bikes for 20 years or so....

(And I was was a shop mechanic for years as well.)

EDIT: I am running 11 and 12 speed and haven’t had a problem...but I also retape bars when changing cables (routine maintenance all done at once for convienence) so I guess I’ve never noticed because I’ve probably just loosened cable housing from the bar and guided the cable through.