PDA

View Full Version : OT: ADT home burglar alarm sensors

fmradio516
07-28-2020, 07:48 PM
Kinda specific, but has anyone ever bought their own glassbreak and shock sensors to hook up to their ADT alarm?

Had a tech come out today to do our initial install, and it quickly went from "only a $99 installation fee" to $1,200. I guess the salesperson i spoke to on the initial call was slightly misleading, but whatever.

I saw that some of these sensors are $250 a piece. On the receipt, theyre listed as "HON Glassbreak Detector" and "HON Shock Sensor" which I guess are just rebranded Honeywell sensors and when I look them up online, theyre more like $50-75.

Anyone ever buy these things online and successfully hook them up to an existing system?

el cheapo
07-29-2020, 05:26 AM
I've got a cheaper solution. I went on Ebay and bought a bunch of ADT stickers and one of my neighbors gave me a sign. Slapped the stickers on the windows and... now I have an alarm system. Most criminals that break into houses don't know the difference. They see a house that says alarm system and move on to one that doesn't. Of course this only works with criminals that can read.

joosttx
07-29-2020, 05:27 AM
They are over priced. We have them. But there are cheaper solutions.

C40_guy
07-29-2020, 07:27 AM
They are over priced. We have them. But there are cheaper solutions.

Yea, we had them too in our last house. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Check Shufro.com. Local, family run business, professional monitoring. They gave us some good advice on coverage alternatives and did a great job on the installation...

Don't know how far they'll travel...

fmradio516
07-29-2020, 09:55 AM
Yea, we had them too in our last house. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Check Shufro.com. Local, family run business, professional monitoring. They gave us some good advice on coverage alternatives and did a great job on the installation...

Don't know how far they'll travel...

Good to know, thanks! Well it seems like im locked into this 36 month contract unless i cancel it by the end of day today. I called this morning and they knocked off the price of the sensors by 50%! So thats a win. Other than that, its $53 a month, which I guess is okay?

Not sure how other companies do it, but ADT has a pretty cool app which lets me arm/disarm the alarm, and get alerts on my phone whenever something gets set off. They also added my detached garage to the system using some wireless sensors, so its pretty convenient, but this is my first experience with home security, so im not sure if this is all pretty basic stuff.

dbnm
07-29-2020, 10:14 AM
I had the same "up sell" happen 5 years ago when they came to do an install. I went round and round with the guy, he added all the bits the rep told me they would and he went home mad. I didn't go for anything extra.

I used it for a couple of years, and it got more and more expensive so I switched to Comcast.

cdimattio
07-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Kinda specific, but has anyone ever bought their own glassbreak and shock sensors to hook up to their ADT alarm?

I am no expert, but it is not a difficult task if you are reasonably handy.

You simply string a twisted pair wire back to the Alarm panel. I prefer wired, but wireless stuff even easier. The Honeywell/Ademco Vista panel is the most common. I have added all types of sensors including a wired zone expansion module

The difficulty will be determining the zone availability and having the installer code to program for the additional sensors. You can generally find documentation online for your panel with regard to programming. Programming a bit primitive, but straightforward if you take your time and follow the instructions.

Once you get past your ADT contract obligations you may want to investigate having your system monitored by someone else for a significant monthly savings. ADT hits you hard for monitoring to amortize the new customer cost of acquisition, but central station monitoring can be had for $10/month.

tuxbailey
07-29-2020, 11:25 AM
I switched over to RING and never looked back.

fmradio516
07-29-2020, 01:40 PM
I had the same "up sell" happen 5 years ago when they came to do an install. I went round and round with the guy, he added all the bits the rep told me they would and he went home mad. I didn't go for anything extra.

I used it for a couple of years, and it got more and more expensive so I switched to Comcast.

Just curious what got more expensive? the monthly fee? I think im locked in at $53 for 3 years and I could add a camera as well(i need to look into how to do this without their technicians)

fmradio516
07-29-2020, 01:42 PM
I am no expert, but it is not a difficult task if you are reasonably handy.

You simply string a twisted pair wire back to the Alarm panel. I prefer wired, but wireless stuff even easier. The Honeywell/Ademco Vista panel is the most common. I have added all types of sensors including a wired zone expansion module

The difficulty will be determining the zone availability and having the installer code to program for the additional sensors. You can generally find documentation online for your panel with regard to programming. Programming a bit primitive, but straightforward if you take your time and follow the instructions.

Once you get past your ADT contract obligations you may want to investigate having your system monitored by someone else for a significant monthly savings. ADT hits you hard for monitoring to amortize the new customer cost of acquisition, but central station monitoring can be had for $10/month.

Yeah it seems like everything is wireless now. The only wire is the power to an outlet for the "keypad" which is more like a 10-inch tablet.

I still can get out of the contract if i do it by tomorrow, so ill try to do some investigating. Thanks for the tip

fmradio516
07-29-2020, 01:46 PM
I switched over to RING and never looked back.

Ooooo I had no idea they have complete systems. I'll need to check em out and see if they can match what ADT does. Thanks!

I do like the idea of fire alarm/protection and i dont see that on the ring website, but maybe i need to dig deeper a bit

C40_guy
07-29-2020, 01:49 PM
Good to know, thanks! Well it seems like im locked into this 36 month contract unless i cancel it by the end of day today. I called this morning and they knocked off the price of the sensors by 50%! So thats a win. Other than that, its $53 a month, which I guess is okay?

I think I'm paying around $30/month, with alarm monitoring and cellular backup.

When ADT offered to double my monthly (at our old house) I told them to take a hike, and they kept me at $24/month.

No, $53/month is not okay. :)

C40_guy
07-29-2020, 01:51 PM
Just curious what got more expensive? the monthly fee? I think im locked in at $53 for 3 years and I could add a camera as well(i need to look into how to do this without their technicians)

Your camera doesn't need to be part of your alarm system.

If you want cameras, take a look at Blink. I've got four Blink XT cameras scattered around (mostly outside), and they're great. Very good picture quality, wireless (wifi and battery). Range is good...one camera is about 75 feet from the house, monitoring the wildlife on the trail behind the house.

Oh, and no monthly fee.

Peter P.
07-29-2020, 03:59 PM
I've got a cheaper solution. I went on Ebay and bought a bunch of ADT stickers and one of my neighbors gave me a sign. Slapped the stickers on the windows and... now I have an alarm system. Most criminals that break into houses don't know the difference. They see a house that says alarm system and move on to one that doesn't. Of course this only works with criminals that can read.

THIS.

Actually, what experts say is the most effective deterrent for burglars-

a BEWARE OF DOG sign, even if you don't own a dog.

Ken Robb
07-29-2020, 05:15 PM
I wonder what the price will drop to if you cancel before that time runs out?

seric
07-29-2020, 05:54 PM
I do like the idea of fire alarm/protection and i dont see that on the ring website, but maybe i need to dig deeper a bit

I'd also recommend Ring. I switched and won't look back. Ring offers a fire alarm listener device that will alert you if it hears your smoke detectors going off. I haven't used it, since I already had Nest Smoke detectors. I also cut a hole in the back of my mailbox and put a Ring Lighting Motion sensor facing inward, so I know when mail arrives. The signal has no problem reaching the receiver ~50 yards away.

Blink's are also great cameras, I was a Kickstarter backer and use them to fill in gaps where I don't want to run POE cameras.

tuxbailey
07-29-2020, 06:44 PM
They offer fire protection as well as flood sensor. I put a flood sensor on top of my basement sump pump cover. If it starts to slowly overflow I will get warning.

It links all my cameras, door bells and sensor under one plan.

At $100 per year or is a no brainier.

Before I finished out the contract from when I bought the house, I was paying $45/Mon for monitoring.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SPOKE
07-29-2020, 07:00 PM
I’ve used SimpliSafe for about 6 years now. Very easy to self-install and you pick the sensors/cameras that you want. Basic monitoring is $15/mo or you can pay $25/mo to have capability to manage the system from you phone/tablet. I have fount it to be very good and very few bugs to workout. The remote base station easily covers sensors that are 100ft away so I even have my detached garage/bike cave covered.
SPOKE

fmradio516
07-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Ugh too many choices and too much going on in my life right now to shuffle this around right now. The house is one state over in CT, so I get out there like once a month until we move there at the end of august.

I wonder If I can call tomorrow and ask the contract to be shortened to one year.

C40_guy
07-29-2020, 08:02 PM
Ugh too many choices and too much going on in my life right now to shuffle this around right now. The house is one state over in CT, so I get out there like once a month until we move there at the end of august.

I wonder If I can call tomorrow and ask the contract to be shortened to one year.

Yes, you've got a lot on your plate.

With or without an alarm system, you want the house to look lived in.

Get three or four inexpensive digital light timers and have lights go on/off around the house at night. Get a couple of "fake tv" LED lights (Amazon) and set them up near first floor windows. It looks like someone is watching television inside at night. Have your contractor put the outside lights on automatic timers so they go on/off automatically.

That having been said, the most likely time for someone to break in is during the day. Make the house look lived in - curtains, etc., spare car in driveway, maybe leave radio playing in kitchen or somewhere....

Louis
07-29-2020, 08:26 PM
Had a tech come out today to do our initial install, and it quickly went from "only a $99 installation fee" to $1,200

If any company tried that with me I would politely tell them "Thanks, but I think I've changed my mind" and never deal with them again.

tuxbailey
07-29-2020, 09:51 PM

One of the reasons I like the ring system is that it integrates with their cameras. So if you install a door bell as well as some spotlights cam (back and corners) you can monitor them from your phone. As long as you have internet at the house.

With the ring doorbell and spotlights you can set up motion zones so if anything go on your property you will be notified.

I know I sound like a ring sales guy, but I am quite impressed with their features as well as cost/benefit.