PDA

View Full Version : Upstate NY - WAY Upstate

AngryScientist
07-28-2020, 08:15 AM
Looking to do a little solo getaway coming up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a few days of great off grid camping/riding/hiking way upstate. talking close to the canada border. looking at the map, there seems to be a ton of small lakes up there and quiet country roads. i'm thinking there is some spectacular riding waiting to be discovered.

ideally boondock camping on state land away from everyone and everything.

ideas?

verticaldoug
07-28-2020, 08:26 AM
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

Just skip along the smaller state parks like Trout River etc.
If you get stopped, just say you are on state land , and camping and following Leave No Trace Policy.

I think a lot of land up there is private and posted. You probably need to be sure to remain on state land. Unique areas and Wilderness areas are also off limits. Outside of Trout State park on the border, I think everything else is a bit off limits.

You are planning to ride? or do you want hike and paddle?
If you are paddling, maybe look along Beaver River and Independence River Wild Forest

(I believe there are a lot of interlocking horse trails which allow bikes. )

Davist
07-28-2020, 08:35 AM
I went to school in Potsdam, don't go that far north, it flattens out (and becomes boring) to pasture mostly..

AngryScientist
07-28-2020, 08:37 AM
You are planning to ride? or do you want hike and paddle?

i do have a kayak, but dont want to cram too much into one trip. thinking a few days of good rides in the morning, light hiking in the afternoon.

good input, thanks.

R3awak3n
07-28-2020, 08:56 AM
The REAL upstate.

Onno
07-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Check out the North Creek area, in the Adirondacks. It's not super crowded, like the High Peaks area, and there is a lot of great riding there. (Check out the new and old Ididaride courses, eg). And the hiking there is really good--lots of gentlish hikes out to lakes and up small peaks. There are also some really good inns and restaurants--Garnet Hill (where I xc ski in the winter), Inn on Gore, and several decent places in North Creek itself. For kayaking, there is the Hudson River, but also Thirteenth Lake, Essex Chain of Lakes, Indian Lake, and literally hundreds of others. Garnet Hill would be a decent base camp, although it's at the top of a long 1000 ft ascent. But you can drive from there quickly to lots of other good starting points. My wife and I have a camp in the area, so know it really well.

AngryScientist
07-28-2020, 08:58 AM
The REAL upstate.

yea exactly. i look at the map and say, man - there has got to be a million hidden gems up there. i think the move is just going in with a half-baked plan and see what i discover.

oh and climbing gears. i suspect those might be necessary.

benb
07-28-2020, 08:59 AM
If you get way up there up near Plattsburgh and Lake Placid there's ton of good riding along Lake Champlain and up in the Mountains up near Canada.

It's gorgeous, lots of climbing, and not many cars.

The Islands in the middle of Lake Champlain are stunningly gorgeous too. Flat & Windy instead of hilly though. But not super flat either.

AngryScientist
07-28-2020, 08:59 AM
thanks Onno, good intel there too.

C40_guy
07-28-2020, 09:11 AM
The REAL upstate.

Yea, anything north of White Plains. :)

And here's the classic New Yorker Magazine cover:

C40_guy
07-28-2020, 09:12 AM
yea exactly. i look at the map and say, man - there has got to be a million hidden gems up there. i think the move is just going in with a half-baked plan and see what i discover.

oh and climbing gears. i suspect those might be necessary.

And take your Garmin, in case you do get lost.

And a paper map, just because :)

Sounds like fun!

monarchguy
07-28-2020, 09:14 AM
To get to Canada from NJ, you're probably going to drive thru the Adirondack park which is chock-full of hills. Plenty of beautiful riding anywhere from Lake George to Malone, but I'd recommend Lake Placid, Saranac Lake and Wilmington. So much good riding there and you'll get to use those climbing gears.

Dan

GregL
07-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Check out the North Creek area, in the Adirondacks. It's not super crowded, like the High Peaks area, and there is a lot of great riding there. (Check out the new and old Ididaride courses, eg). And the hiking there is really good--lots of gentlish hikes out to lakes and up small peaks. There are also some really good inns and restaurants--Garnet Hill (where I xc ski in the winter), Inn on Gore, and several decent places in North Creek itself. For kayaking, there is the Hudson River, but also Thirteenth Lake, Essex Chain of Lakes, Indian Lake, and literally hundreds of others. Garnet Hill would be a decent base camp, although it's at the top of a long 1000 ft ascent. But you can drive from there quickly to lots of other good starting points. My wife and I have a camp in the area, so know it really well.
^^^This^^^ The southeast Adirondacks are beautiful, hilly, and quiet (especially during the work week). Lots of state forests for wilderness camping, many dirt roads for riding, and miles of public hiking trails. My wife and I recently spent a week at the family camp on Great Sacandaga Lake. Over the course of the week, we spent two days riding pavement on our tandem, two days hiking/climbing, and two days with a mix of gravel riding and kayaking. Best of all, the riding and hiking were almost completely absent of other people.

Greg

ERK55
07-28-2020, 09:37 AM
Yea, anything north of White Plains. :)

And here's the classic New Yorker Magazine cover:

When I was living in Italy a young Italian guy approached and and asked:

—“You fly from Rome to Kennedy Airport, right?” Right.

—“Then you can drive west to the Brooklyn Bridge, right?” Right.

—“When you cross the Brooklyn Bridge you’re in Canada, right ?” I don’t remember my response to that one.

soulspinner
07-28-2020, 09:38 AM

this............

Mr. Pink
07-28-2020, 09:56 AM
To get to Canada from NJ, you're probably going to drive thru the Adirondack park which is chock-full of hills. Plenty of beautiful riding anywhere from Lake George to Malone, but I'd recommend Lake Placid, Saranac Lake and Wilmington. So much good riding there and you'll get to use those climbing gears.

Dan

I tried that when I lived in Saratoga Springs. The roads are death traps.

YoKev
07-28-2020, 09:59 AM
If you want to get away from people, check out anything west or northwest of the Tupper Lake area; Cranberry Lake, Five Ponds Wilderness, Canton, ect...

Good for paddling and fishing too.

Hilltopperny
07-28-2020, 10:00 AM
Another vote for North Creek area. You should contact BB Dave as he has the scoop on all kinds of good riding and spots out that way. It is beautiful and the riding is great!
I would also add that Piseco RD in Stratford NY which is 18 miles North of my house has multiple free campsites and is a nice bit of gravel riding along the West Canada Creek that will take you up to Piseco Lake. There is some good road riding in Places like Wells NY and Speculator which are sparsely populated. Hidden gems!

Buzz Killington
07-28-2020, 10:49 AM
I went to school in Potsdam. Once you get North and /or West of there not much going on or to see. In my opinion. If it was me, I’d ride the west shore of Lake Champlain from Westport and then head north along the lake.

PaMtbRider
07-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Hilltopperny beat me to it, you need to hit up BumbleBeeDave. He took us on a ride around the Brant lake area that was really nice. Also did a short hike in the area to a neat pond.

CNY rider
07-28-2020, 11:08 AM
Lots of great suggestions here.
We were in Keene Valley hiking the high peaks a couple of weeks ago .
So I will add: do a little extra planning re: food before you go.
Some of the areas you’re thinking about are sparse on restaurants to begin with and now many are closed or have very limited hours.
We brought a couple of home cooked meals with us for our trip and we were glad we did.
Oh and if you’re in Keene Valley make sure you get a pie at Noonmark Diner.

djg21
07-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Looking to do a little solo getaway coming up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a few days of great off grid camping/riding/hiking way upstate. talking close to the canada border. looking at the map, there seems to be a ton of small lakes up there and quiet country roads. i'm thinking there is some spectacular riding waiting to be discovered.

ideally boondock camping on state land away from everyone and everything.

ideas?

Drop me a note. The Champlain Valley has great riding. Look around Essex and Willsboro on Lake Champlain. You are still within an hour of Placid, and a ferry ride from Burlington. I am in Willsboro often, and the riding is spectacular. I’ll be there all weekend, and BBDave is coming up to ride Saturday. It also has the best microbrewery around. https://www.ausablebrewing.com/

dbnm
07-28-2020, 11:34 AM
Do you know of www.instagram.com/donalrey and www.instagram.com/kareny123

Check out their instagrams and videos. Lots of upstate/midstate riding

majorpat
07-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Moose River Plains, Inlet, Indian Lake area would be easy to bomb around, camp almost anywhere

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/53596.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude
07-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Too funny, I just booked an airbnb in north creek for 4 nights. We'll have our 1 and 6.5 year old with us. We plan on doing some day trips to saranac/tupper/placid and day hikes/swimming in lakes. Are there any mtb trails that are good for kids/beginners?

I was a camp counselor on Raquette Lake for a summer and canoed the chain lakes for 5 days. I would seriously consider kayaking/camping and not even bringing your bike. It is breathtaking country up there, nothing like I've seen anywhere else in the US that is only accessible by water. Or park your car, lock bike in it, kayak for 3 days, bike/hike for 3.

I don't think you can go wrong up there.

GregL
07-28-2020, 11:57 AM
Moose River Plains, Inlet, Indian Lake area would be easy to bomb around, camp almost anywhere

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/53596.html
If you're in that area, you can try the Black Fly Challenge route (http://blackflychallenge.com/course-map/).

Greg

djg21
07-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Too funny, I just booked an airbnb in north creek for 4 nights. We'll have our 1 and 6.5 year old with us. We plan on doing some day trips to saranac/tupper/placid and day hikes/swimming in lakes. Are there any mtb trails that are good for kids/beginners?

I was a camp counselor on Raquette Lake for a summer and canoed the chain lakes for 5 days. I would seriously consider kayaking/camping and not even bringing your bike. It is breathtaking country up there, nothing like I've seen anywhere else in the US that is only accessible by water. Or park your car, lock bike in it, kayak for 3 days, bike/hike for 3.

I don't think you can go wrong up there.

As to MTBs, The North Creek Snow Bowl is right there http://visitnorthcreek.org/project/ski-bowl-mt-bike-trails/

Gurney Lane is by Lake George and is family friendly too. https://www.visitlakegeorge.com/recreation/gurney-lane-mountain-bike-park

If the water is at a decent level, take a raft trip down the Hudson Gorge. Check out Wild Waters in the Glen. It’s a really good kayak/raft outfitter.

BobbyJones
07-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Just got back from some time "up there", with a good chunk spent at Cranberry Lake. Fishing and Hiking was excellent.

Road / Gravel riding in that area isn't great. Depending on your taste for adventure, the Park roads would be a blast on a MTB, as long as you don't stop. Which I did alot of on 32c tires.

Edit afterthought: If you're looking at a map and see roads marked "Adirondack Park Preserve", don't assume they're dirt / gravel. Some of the stuff I was on barely qualified as jeep trail. I bet they're great in the winter on a snowmobile.

Not much else to do in that area.

Although crowded, I liked the High Peaks area (around Lake Placid / Wilmington) and Lake George / Fort Ann.

Previous Trips put me on the Champlain Islands, which is good for a day or two.

Either way you go, it sure is pretty up there.

wc1934
07-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Another vote for North Creek area. You should contact BB Dave as he has the scoop on all kinds of good riding and spots out that way. It is beautiful and the riding is great!
I would also add that Piseco RD in Stratford NY which is 18 miles North of my house has multiple free campsites and is a nice bit of gravel riding along the West Canada Creek that will take you up to Piseco Lake. There is some good road riding in Places like Wells NY and Speculator which are sparsely populated. Hidden gems!

^this

Mr. Pink
07-28-2020, 12:38 PM
Drop me a note. The Champlain Valley has great riding. Look around Essex and Willsboro on Lake Champlain. You are still within an hour of Placid, and a ferry ride from Burlington. I am in Willsboro often, and the riding is spectacular. I’ll be there all weekend, and BBDave is coming up to ride Saturday. It also has the best microbrewery around. https://www.ausablebrewing.com/

Great riding on both sides of Champlain there. The area south of Burlington is nice, then take the ferry from Charlotte over to Essex and ride around there. I used to go up there a few times a year when I lived in Saratoga, and it amazed me that Essex was so underdeveloped, considering it's shoreline and fairly easy access to the Northway.
Great views of the ADK and the Greens from either side.

BumbleBeeDave
07-28-2020, 02:01 PM
PM sent. Email sent.

BBD

djg21
07-28-2020, 02:45 PM
Great riding on both sides of Champlain there. The area south of Burlington is nice, then take the ferry from Charlotte over to Essex and ride around there. I used to go up there a few times a year when I lived in Saratoga, and it amazed me that Essex was so underdeveloped, considering it's shoreline and fairly easy access to the Northway.
Great views of the ADK and the Greens from either side.

BBDave and I are going to ride there on Saturday. Dave wants to keep it modest. One option is over Rattlesnake Mountain on 22 and then Mace Chasm Rd to Ausable Chasm, and then back up and over Highlands Road, which has great views of Willsboro Bay and Champlain. I am a former Catamount and started racing when I was in Burlington. I always thought the riding on the NY side was better because there is so much less traffic. As long as we can remain socially distant, you are free to join us.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2020, 04:28 PM
That's going to be a great ride. Enjoy. Tough call on which side. South of Burlington all the way to Middlebury can be awfully nice, especially with views to the Greens to the East. I'm not a big Vermont fan, but there's some good stuff in there. NY has better surfaces.

fiamme red
07-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Oh and if you’re in Keene Valley make sure you get a pie at Noonmark Diner.I once stopped in there on a bike tour. I had some excellent pie with ice cream. :)

VTCaraco
07-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Grew up riding around the Sacandaga area. Rt 30 has a great shoulder but lots of weekend tourists driving after a day on the lake. Accidents are not uncommon...
Used to pedal a great loop from Northville to Benson to Caroga Lake and back and from Northville up through Wells to Speculator. Again, at the right time of year and/or right day of the week, that was exceptional riding.

Now I'm in Bennington-area of VT and only ride in that area when I'm visiting my folks. I'm faster over there, for sure. I assume it's the terrain, but the asphalt is clearly better, too.

What is unequivocally true, however, is that NY state has shoulders on the road. Pavement may be horrendous in places and drivers may or may not be courteous, but you DO have a little bit of real estate to work with. I can always tell when I cross the state line from VT into NY because of this.

Though I haven't pedaled in the area for over 20 years now, I'd recommend giving Speculator / Indian Lake / Blue Mountain Lake a look. That stretch was always a favorite for me and my wife. Wonderful outdoors recreation and less commotion than the Sacandaga or Lake George or Lake Placid areas.

AngryScientist
08-03-2020, 10:17 AM
So much to explore!

Had a great weekend upstate. good stuff. more to come!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nmi3tu1ZVy0/XygpBK5rrjI/AAAAAAAAEJU/L8DXRn1envUSZLX-MpqGtNoHX7RsVfP6gCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6026.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Tvs2BizwQo0/XygpBj5oJII/AAAAAAAAEJY/P0dcfYkoQzgWGsL-IOCdbuTQPsfycmjUQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6034.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7mY8Q435UGQ/XygpB2rjfvI/AAAAAAAAEJc/WzPqKEwsVDgLVAVv9rWmCjXiOZwoTnpIACLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6037.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lA7hyuIMrzg/XygpCH95z8I/AAAAAAAAEJk/B2c0ZsTBLhcwXjVBhC01nHZL0kxdf4wKACLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6045.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mDebSpVtBpU/XygpDIzEVGI/AAAAAAAAEJ4/rXgr5N0wvPUDosvfwh_mOGuNIcJHD2CjwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6067.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v9yRRhYAmrQ/XygpAQWgsqI/AAAAAAAAEJA/qoaVSL6mPa8-_H5kXu96OFLOPvg0uraywCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6004.jpg