PDA

View Full Version : Colnago Dream Reflex or Master X Light

carone
07-27-2020, 06:10 PM
Hi, this is my first post so I apologize if I’m in the wrong forum.

I’m looking to buy my first “nice” road bike.

My experience is in restoring antique bikes, so this world is new to me.

I have the opportunity to buy a Colnago Master Reflex, in excellent condition - very low mileage, and amazingly no corrosion between the aluminum and paint. It’s complete with a Campy Record 10 gruppo (minus headset) which was installed two years ago, from completely NOS condition - it’s still mint.
The bike also has Campy Protons and a generic cockpit.
It can be mine for $675.

Here’s my dilemma:

I’m not looking at the Dream from a collectors standpoint (I understand it’s no Master) but it’s also not a modern bike.

I don’t have the budget for carbon ($1500 max to get me riding) but want a smart option to transfer my running miles (at least 10 daily) into cycling, prioritizing function but also uniqueness - at least allowing me some cool components.

I also have a Master X Light sourced in equally nice condition, near-mint Record 10, Neutron wheelset and Deda cockpit for $1400 shipped.**

How do you feel about the Dream’s relevance for riding today? I would eventually like to race, and understand it may not be the best option for that but possibly better than the Master?
Perhaps I freshen up the cockpit, add some nicer wheels and eventually sell the frame when I have the funds for something better?
Or perhaps I just get the Master, which I'm ultimately longing for, but feel irrational choosing...

Also - both bikes are Colnago's size 56.
I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam, and can comfortable rest my palms on the floor for what it's worth.

What do you think?

Any advice is super appreciated!

ultraman6970
07-27-2020, 08:53 PM
The dreams are super nice bicycles but doubt you will get too much out of it if as you can get from the master in the future.

700 bucks for the dream is a super good price.

As for which to get, dunno... get what you want.

wallymann
07-27-2020, 08:57 PM
starter bike + getting into racing.....dream is your move. especially at that price.

GonaSovereign
07-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Dreams are really nice bikes. Great geo if you like Colnago geo. Light enough, but built more robustly than most of the 90s-00s alu bikes from other European builders. I know people who still race them, because why not?

You'll be limited to a 25 tire.
It's an older aluminum bike, so inspect for cracks.

Beyond that, either of those bikes is fine to race because they're both race bikes. My POV as a guy who loves a Master and has even won a crit on one: for your intended purpose, I'd definitely get the Dream and upgrade the wheels. Have fun!

C40_guy
07-27-2020, 09:06 PM
Dream would be a better bike for racing. Stiff, yet comfortable for all-day riding. And if you crash it, you won't cry your eyes out, as you would with the Master.

I've done back to back 60 mile days on my Dream, with a Force carbon fork. No big deal. Fabulous bike. Great crit bike or road racer too.

The Master, on the other hand, well, it's a Master. Sure you could race on it, but it *should* be your Sunday Best bike. I raced on a steel Colnago (Spiral Conic SLX), and on a C40, and probably on my Dream. Now my Master Olympic is my Sunday Best bike, and my C50 is my every day bike. (Yea, I have a Colnago problem...and I haven't even mentioned the Dream CX, or the Prestige, or the unicorn Master CX) :)

Start with the Dream, and then find a Master later. Pricing on that Dream is silly low. BTW, so is the pricing on a fully built Master. :)

So...buy both. Kids didn't really need braces this year, right?

texbike
07-27-2020, 09:51 PM
As others have pointed out, the Dream is definitely "good enough". They ride great! And that price seems like a screaming deal. I've had multiple Colnagos over the years including a Dream and they were all fantastic bikes (well except for maybe an early 80s Mexico that had really bad build quality, but it rode very nicely).

The one concern that I would have is that a "Colnago" size 56 seems like it would be a bit small for you with your height and inseam. As a reference, I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and a 57 is very close for me but just a tad on the small side. However, the 56 is probably close enough that you could make it work.

Good luck!

Texbike

merckx
07-28-2020, 05:57 AM
Get both. The Dream is practically free.

tuscanyswe
07-28-2020, 05:59 AM
Be aware of small cracks in the headtube on the Dream frames.

soulspinner
07-28-2020, 06:12 AM
starter bike + getting into racing.....dream is your move. especially at that price.

+1 I had a Master but I would not consider it to race over an alu bike. FWIW I raced alu for years and it worked well for me.

voir dire
07-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Colnago Dream is very underrated, especially with factory aluminum sort of out of style these days, compared to the now-cult Master.

The Dream was an excellent frame for its purpose. Few alu race frames surpassed it. Assuming exc condition, the price on the one you are looking at it is very fair.

colker
07-28-2020, 02:57 PM
Be aware of small cracks in the headtube on the Dream frames.

THis^