PDA

View Full Version : Lake CX241

buddybikes
07-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Thinking of some new shoes, especially hot summer when feet swell. Have Specialized art 74 which are real nice, but just a tad tight. 42.5 Looking for another leather shoe and these seem to look nice, but I do like my soles on thinner side (unlike my Sidi's).

I do want volume up front to chill my diabetic neuropathy (and put silicone pads in).

No dealers near me, trying to determine based on charts 42.5

Any comments, other things to look at?

jimoots
07-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Thinking of some new shoes, especially hot summer when feet swell. Have Specialized art 74 which are real nice, but just a tad tight. 42.5 Looking for another leather shoe and these seem to look nice, but I do like my soles on thinner side (unlike my Sidi's).

I do want volume up front to chill my diabetic neuropathy (and put silicone pads in).

I was in a similar position; I had some Bonts which were getting to the end of their useful life and was looking at replacing them.

I have a issue with bunions which needs wide shoes to accomodate, and had heard good things about Lake's approach to wide fit shoes.

Here in Aus, Lake are hard to come by but there is one online retailer that had 301's in my size at a good price.

I followed their size chart (which was a bit confusing because of the different lasts). I determined that what I wanted was a CX238 or 238, as they had some more width, but couldn't get one in my size, so just took a punt on the CX301's.

While they're not quite as wide as i wanted, I found the upper was pliable so they are comfortable. More comfortable than my Bonts. It took a few weeks to get the cleats 'just right' but I'm pretty sure I'm happy with them and have bought a second pair as I like wearing whiteshoes year round :cool:

My main tip would be just to follow their size charts to the letter and you should be OK. They're a very nice shoe!

djg21
07-27-2020, 07:33 PM

With diabetic neuropathy and foot issues, you should think custom with custom insoles. They are not inexpensive, but they will fit perfectly and you’ll have them for years. https://lamsoncycling.com/

Herder
03-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Did you end up getting them? How did it turn out? Is the toe box slimmer then regular lake shoes?

I'm in the same boat where I can't find anywhere in store. I'm thinking of ordering the mx241 or the mx238. Not sure how I feel about the look of the 241 and Ive found a few reviews saying the toebox narrows quickly

buddybikes
03-28-2021, 07:21 PM
I ended up splurging for 1 size up Spec Sworks and they fit like a dream. I have orthotics and things worked out w/o going custom.

JWB475
03-28-2021, 08:20 PM
Did you end up getting them? How did it turn out? Is the toe box slimmer then regular lake shoes?

I'm in the same boat where I can't find anywhere in store. I'm thinking of ordering the mx241 or the mx238. Not sure how I feel about the look of the 241 and Ive found a few reviews saying the toebox narrows quickly

I have both (MX/SPD version)... I started with the 241's which I got along with OK. The boa system really cinched down the tip of the toe box and the design of the shoe caused hotspots on the outside of my feet on long rides.

I picked up a pair of 238's to alleviate these issues. The boa placement works better for me, and despite having the same "competition last" as the 241's, there is a lot more volume in the 238. So much volume I literally put my custom insole on top of the existing insole. I find them to be very comfortable this way and no longer have any issues on long rides, so I am sticking with them.

Herder
03-28-2021, 08:28 PM
I ended up splurging for 1 size up Spec Sworks and they fit like a dream. I have orthotics and things worked out w/o going custom.

Thanks. Tried on the sworks today. A little tight in the toes

I have both (MX/SPD version)... I started with the 241's which I got along with OK. The boa system really cinched down the tip of the toe box and the design of the shoe caused hotspots on the outside of my feet on long rides.

I picked up a pair of 238's to alleviate these issues. The boa placement works better for me, and despite having the same "competition last" as the 241's, there is a lot more volume in the 238. So much volume I literally put my custom insole on top of the existing insole. I find them to be very comfortable this way and no longer have any issues on long rides, so I am sticking with them.

Thanks