PDA

View Full Version : OT: Airpods vs Airpod Pro

daker13
07-27-2020, 10:16 AM
Pretty banal question here, but I'm thinking of getting a pair of these for my wife and I'm wondering if the Pro is worth the extra $100. FWIW she has a bit of hearing loss. Curious also about how they work for phone calls, etc.

kppolich
07-27-2020, 10:20 AM
$70 dollar difference now.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/apple-airpods-2-vs-airpods-pro-which-are-better

SoCalSteve
07-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Only get the Pro’s if you need the noise cancelling feature. I have a set of both and the sound quality is pretty much identical on both, phone calls too. The Pro version shines if you need the noise cancelling feature.

daker13
07-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Only get the Pro’s if you need the noise cancelling feature. I have a set of both and the sound quality is pretty much identical on both, phone calls too. The Pro version shines if you need the noise cancelling feature.

She has small ears so I'm wondering if the regular ones are going to give her fit problems...

SoCalSteve
07-27-2020, 10:58 AM
She has small ears so I'm wondering if the regular ones are going to give her fit problems...

I cannot answer that question, I can tell you the Pro’s comes with 3 sizes to choose from.

mtechnica
07-27-2020, 11:01 AM
The noise canceling on the pros is really nice

happycampyer
07-27-2020, 11:12 AM
As others have noted, he noise cancelling feature is really nice and the fit is much better. The silicone earpieces are much more comfortable than the hard plastic. Also, did Apple upgrade the software so that the regular iPods will read text messages, or is that just a Pro feature?

crankles
07-27-2020, 11:51 AM
As others have noted, he noise cancelling feature is really nice and the fit is much better. The silicone earpieces are much more comfortable than the hard plastic. Also, did Apple upgrade the software so that the regular iPods will read text messages, or is that just a Pro feature?

This. I have to take phone calls in noisy places (a ferry for instance). The fit and noise cancelling make a huge diff. I own both. Go with the pros.

vincenz
07-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Pros will also get a whole of cool new features coming with iOS 14 like surround sound.

One thing to note would be fit, though. Not everyone likes the air-tight fit of silicone tips in the ear canal.

I can’t stand the feeling and only use the non-pros (and regular headphones) for this reason.

Velocipede
07-27-2020, 12:28 PM

The shape of the AirPods are the same as the Gen 2 wired headset they make. Try that she'll know. I don't like the regular versions. They don't stay in my ears and hurt a bit. So I am getting the AirPod Pros.

djg21
07-27-2020, 01:00 PM
Pretty banal question here, but I'm thinking of getting a pair of these for my wife and I'm wondering if the Pro is worth the extra $100. FWIW she has a bit of hearing loss. Curious also about how they work for phone calls, etc.

Yes. I have both, and I just bought a pair of the Pros for my wife. The Pros have a silicone tip that seals, and has noise cancellation mode and a “transparency” mode when you need to hear ambient sounds. More importantly, they sound far better and stay in your ears, whereas the regular AirPods would fall out when I leaned over or moved my head. I even can fall asleep wearing my AirPod Pros and they will be in my ears when I wake.

djg21
07-27-2020, 01:03 PM
Pros will also get a whole of cool new features coming with iOS 14 like surround sound.

One thing to note would be fit, though. Not everyone likes the air-tight fit of silicone tips in the ear canal.

I can’t stand the feeling and only use the non-pros (and regular headphones) for this reason.

I am running iOS 14 beta 3 on my phone and iPad. It is really nice and very stable. The public beta is available at https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

jwalther
07-28-2020, 06:22 AM
I switched the the Pros a few weeks ago and have no regrets.

BRad704
07-29-2020, 06:24 AM

Pro is absolutely worth the extra $$. My wife and I both have them and they're awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rinconryder
07-29-2020, 10:18 AM
Go with the pros. For what it’s worth the standard air pods never fit in my ears, uncomfortable and would fall out. The silicone pieces make all the difference in that regard. Plus the noise canceling is awesome.

gavingould
07-29-2020, 02:03 PM
have the first run of Airpods, and the current Airpods Pro.
for fit, the Pro take it hands down as there are sized tips. i also tried some 3rd-party foam tips, jury still out on those.
but the noise canceling is good and they stay in my ears, unlike the first-edition Airpods. smooth plastic and sweaty ears (say mowing the lawn or riding the trainer) not a good mix.