PDA

View Full Version : Tube cutter...

catulle
01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I've been looking for a tube cutter but I've only found two types. Nifty ones that only cut tubes up to 1 1/8" OD. Or huge ones for tubes larger than 1 1/8" OD. I need to cut a 1 1/4" tube. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS- I'd rather not use a hacksaw. Thanks.

Steve Hampsten
01-30-2007, 07:36 PM
How about a chopsaw? Or a bandsaw?

We use Ryobi and Jet around here but the Lennox hacksaw sees the most action. Or we chuck it up in the lathe and go nuts!

saab2000
01-30-2007, 07:45 PM
What are you trying to cut? I have a pipe cutter and trim my handlebars about 1/4 of an inch each and have even cut steel fork steers with it.

Craftsman

Or Google it and get a real plumber's tool.

catulle
01-30-2007, 07:51 PM
How about a chopsaw? Or a bandsaw?

We use Ryobi and Jet around here but the Lennox hacksaw sees the most action. Or we chuck it up in the lathe and go nuts!
¨
My name and picture is in every hardware store where I live. My wife and a few civic groups distribute the flyers with my name and picture. "If you see this poor man walk into this store, please call the police. He is sick. He leaves home to buy two screws and returns home with every tool built by Snap-On. He is seriously ill. Please don't allow him into your store. Thank you."

I thought we were pals, Steve. Now I need a lathe. Maybe I can squeeze it right next to my side of the bed. Hmmm... I think you better not meet my wife. It'd be MP, atmo...

Thank you for your kind response, though.

David Kirk
01-30-2007, 07:54 PM
What needs cutting?

Dave

catulle
01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
What needs cutting?

Dave

The steerer tube of a truly beautiful frame I'll be hosting at home sometime very soon.

saab2000
01-30-2007, 08:02 PM
The steerer tube of a truly beautiful frame I'll be hosting at home sometime very soon.

If it is threadless, don't cut it until you are 100% sure where to cut it. You can't put it back after it is cut.

catulle
01-30-2007, 08:04 PM
If it is threadless, don't cut it until you are 100% sure where to cut it. You can't put it back after it is cut.

Measure twice, cut once, huh...? ;)

RPS
01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I'd take a chopsaw over a bandsaw. More uses and provide a square cut. You can also cut big stuff in a hurry.

Archibald
01-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Cut it twice, still too short.

catulle
01-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Cut it twice, still too short.

Do I have to measure four times, then...? Or maybe not cut at all to make it longer...? I should've stayed with the threaded stuff, I think...

mike p
01-30-2007, 08:14 PM

I always cut it an inch or so long and ride it with dork looking spacers on top for a couple of weeks just to make sure.

Mike

ergott
01-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I've been looking for a tube cutter but I've only found two types. Nifty ones that only cut tubes up to 1 1/8" OD. Or huge ones for tubes larger than 1 1/8" OD. I need to cut a 1 1/4" tube. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS- I'd rather not use a hacksaw. Thanks.

What steerer has a 1 1/4" OD?

I think you should measure a few more times.

obtuse
01-30-2007, 08:51 PM
catulle-
you have two options as i see it,
get a guide and use a hacksaw and use a file to clean it up. or be like e-richie; spend thirty years messing around with steel tubes and just free cut it with the hacksaw and leave it...it'll be perfect.

obtuse

pdxmech13
01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
96 fisher mtb

RPS
01-30-2007, 09:42 PM

I think you should measure a few more times.Santana tandems.

catulle
01-31-2007, 02:33 AM
I think you should measure a few more times.

Ooops... Thanks.

ergott
01-31-2007, 07:09 AM
96 fisher mtb

I thought he was talking about a certain road bike on the way.

catulle
01-31-2007, 08:13 AM
I thought he was talking about a certain road bike on the way.

You're correct. Please check you e-mail. Thanks.

Blastinbob
01-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Rigid tubing cutters (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Screw-Feed-Cutters) I have these in a couple different sizes.

Too Tall
01-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Mr Nachurl, what Senor' said. Using a common steerer guide + a fresh hacksaw blade and you are in bid-niz ;) If you are paranoid like me, mock the setup on your bike first and use a sharpie to mark your line....measure down from there as required. Use a headset spacer to use as a guide to draw your final cut line. Put the fork steerer into your guide and lower the saw blade to lay over your line...you will be able to see it.

It is a thrill to cut the steerer on your own bike and a pissa on someone elses inmyho.

ergott
01-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Knowing that the steerer is of the steel variety, use a standard pipe cutter as per blastinbob. They are cheap and do a very clean job.

sspielman
01-31-2007, 08:43 AM
I know that we are talking about a steel steerer, but since the subject came up....As per TT's advice, I would add a couple of comments for CARBON STEERERS: a saw guide and a fresh hacksaw blade are pretty easy to use. I would also add that the finer the teeth on the blade the better. Also, dont overtighten the saw guide and damage the column......AND a wrap the steerer in the vicinity of the cut with a couple of layers of scotch tape before cutting...it does a great job of minimising the "splintering"...

ergott
01-31-2007, 08:52 AM
I know that we are talking about a steel steerer, but since the subject came up....As per TT's advice, I would add a couple of comments for CARBON STEERERS: a saw guide and a fresh hacksaw blade are pretty easy to use. I would also add that the finer the teeth on the blade the better. Also, dont overtighten the saw guide and damage the column......AND a wrap the steerer in the vicinity of the cut with a couple of layers of scotch tape before cutting...it does a great job of minimising the "splintering"...

+1

Ti Designs
01-31-2007, 08:59 AM
¨
My name and picture is in every hardware store where I live. My wife and a few civic groups distribute the flyers with my name and picture. "If you see this poor man walk into this store, please call the police. He is sick. He leaves home to buy two screws and returns home with every tool built by Snap-On. He is seriously ill. Please don't allow him into your store. Thank you."

You could use a lathe, but it's a royal pain. If you're looking for an excuse to buy toys, here's the plan. First get yourself a 5C collet index and the full set of collets in 1/64" increments plus hex collets, square collets, a chuck mount and a few of those machinable ones. At some point you'll notice that 5C only goes up to 1-1/8", but as long as they're paid for you might as well keep 'em. To cut off the steerer you'll need to buy yourself a milling machine, a tubing vise, a right angle milling head, a slitting saw arbor and pretty much every slitting saw in the MSC catalog. You'll also want an indexable face mill to square up the edges, a digital centering gauge would be nice, and don't forget about the full T-slot clamp set to make sure nothing moves while you're working. With all the new toys you'll forget all about needing to cut down the fork - problem solved!

ergott
01-31-2007, 09:03 AM
You could use a lathe, but it's a royal pain. If you're looking for an excuse to buy toys, here's the plan. First get yourself a 5C collet index and the full set of collets in 1/64" increments plus hex collets, square collets, a chuck mount and a few of those machinable ones. At some point you'll notice that 5C only goes up to 1-1/8", but as long as they're paid for you might as well keep 'em. To cut off the steerer you'll need to buy yourself a milling machine, a tubing vise, a right angle milling head, a slitting saw arbor and pretty much every slitting saw in the MSC catalog. You'll also want an indexable face mill to square up the edges, a digital centering gauge would be nice, and don't forget about the full T-slot clamp set to make sure nothing moves while you're working. With all the new toys you'll forget all about needing to cut down the fork - problem solved!

MSC is my favorite catalogue (book) ever. Better than all those lingerie catalogues that show up unsolicited.

Archibald
01-31-2007, 09:48 AM
As long as you guys are dreaming:

http://www.matsuura.co.jp/image/products/MAM72-42V.jpg

RPS
01-31-2007, 10:55 AM
I know that we are talking about a steel steerer, but since the subject came up....As per TT's advice, I would add a couple of comments for CARBON STEERERS: a saw guide and a fresh hacksaw blade are pretty easy to use. I would also add that the finer the teeth on the blade the better. Also, dont overtighten the saw guide and damage the column......AND a wrap the steerer in the vicinity of the cut with a couple of layers of scotch tape before cutting...it does a great job of minimising the "splintering"...Abrasive type hacksaw blade is also recommended by some manufacturers for carbon steerer. Worked well for me.

catulle
01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Got it, bros. Thanks.

sbornia
01-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Just the info I was looking for, too, as I have to cut an Ouzo Pro soon. Some questions:

- Do saw blades have specs for the fineness of teeth, as sandpaper does? If so, what level of fineness would you recommend?

- Once you've cut the carbon steerer and removed the scotch/masking tape, does the freshly cut end of the tube need to be cleaned up or treated in any way? I know that steel tubes could be lightly filed, not sure about carbon.

Thanks,
Steven