PDA

View Full Version : Seeking input on new steel frame....

learlove
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
2006 was a good year so I'm gonna go for a new steel bike. Any input on these, I've provided my own comments if I have input on the selection. I'm looking for a stiff (like stiff as I'm used to AL) responsive feel. Would like it to be around 19-20lbs biult with ultegra and 32h open pro wheels.

I've narrowed it down to:

1. Merckx MX Leader - the 52cm frame is sitting in my basement waiting to be built up - advantage merckx - its already here, dis advantage - not fond of the paint job.

2. IF steel - just down the road my local shop is a dealer and i trust the owner when it comes to design and fitting input - he quoted me about 1800 for a steel frame and fork

3. Spectrum TK - about an hour drive north of me. I love lugged steel and know they do it right.

4. Serotta CDA - local deal is about 45 minutes away, I used to race for that shop and know the owner, would trust the fitters input like #2 above.

4. Pegoretti Marcelo (love the black paint), love the tube size looks also, the 52cm has the same geo as my current road bike and it fits and feels fine. Cons - need to jump before black sceme is gone, 2700+ for the frame when i can get cutome for 500 or more less.

question - how does the marcelo stiffness compare with a cannondale. I'm looking for stiffness in the headtube, I hate bike that flex/wobble in the head tube when i torque on the bars. Also can't stand bb flex.

My riding style is mostly flat rolling 1 hour ride or crit type workouts. Basically i want a tuff steel frame that responds like AL. Can it be done?

Thanks

Fat Robert
01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
not to answer your question one bit, and just to complicate the issue

guys I like

www.bikelugs.com

www.rocklobstercycles.com

www.kishbike.com

www.strongframes.com

rpm
01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
1. Merckx MX Leader - the 52cm frame is sitting in my basement waiting to be built up - advantage merckx - its already here, dis advantage - not fond of the paint job.

3. Spectrum TK - about an hour drive north of me. I love lugged steel and know they do it right.

Thanks

This is easy. Pack up your Merckx and whatever you currently ride and go to the barn. You'll either wind up with a great new Spectrum or a great new paint job and a good fit on the Merckx. Can't do better than that. :)

old_school
01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
If I lived an hour away from TK, I know where I would be...

Archibald
01-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Phock it man, get 'em all!

You might be pining for the fjords tomorrow!

SPLURGE!

You deserve it!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

learlove
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
O yeah - forgot steelman and strong, altough both are far away and i know nothing about them except what I see on their webs.

Serotta_Andrew
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Easy answer... CDA all the way!!!!!

Big Dan
01-30-2007, 03:18 PM
If you like stiff you should keep the Merckx imho.

:p

William
Zank :cool:

William

learlove
This is easy. Pack up your Merckx and whatever you currently ride and go to the barn. You'll either wind up with a great new Spectrum or a great new paint job and a good fit on the Merckx. Can't do better than that. :)

You know that got me thinking because if they merckx fits the feel/ride bill for me i can have them paint it and have $$ left over for them to build me a track bike. I had a used TK track bike (either arts or gibbys) when i was a junior - i so regret selling it.

Waldo
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Get Spectrum for the soul. Get Marcelo if you want a steel Cannondale.

old_school
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
You know that got me thinking because if they merckx fits the feel/ride bill for me i can have them paint it and have $$ left over for them to build me a track bike. I had a used TK track bike (either arts or gibbys) when i was a junior - i so regret selling it.

Now we are talking ... I want a TK fixed gear in the worst way, but only if he does the fitting. Unfortunately, making the trip to PA is next to impossible for me. You are a lucky guy! :beer:

Yo, Tom, if you are ever in the Boston area ...

Climb01742
01-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Basically i want a tuff steel frame that responds like AL. Can it be done?

that's a marcelo. there isn't a bad choice on your list. in fact, all are great options. but based on your stated desire, that's a marcelo to a T (or a P.) :D

OldDog
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a 53 MXL. Yeah, it is stiff, yet ever so comfy. I run Velocity Aeroheads 3X. A frame well worth the repaint. I will never part with mine until my riding days are over.

big shanty
01-30-2007, 04:03 PM
#3, Spectrum steel

chrisroph
01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Go see TK and Jeff, my spectrum steel is the best road bike I've ever ridden.

Serotta_Andrew
01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
that's a marcelo. there isn't a bad choice on your list. in fact, all are great options. but based on your stated desire, that's a marcelo to a T (or a P.) :D

or... get a CDA with a down tube the size of a baseball bat!!!

72gmc
01-30-2007, 04:13 PM
First choice: take the Merckx to the barn.
Second choice: "fix" the Merckx, and mix #s 2 and 4 so you get a CDA built to the Club Racer philosophy.

Edit: I know you said stiff... but I'm telling you what I would want!

davids
01-30-2007, 04:21 PM
If I were to rank your choices:

1. Spectrum
2. Marcelo
3. CDA
4. IF

But... I thought that the older Marcelos cost less than $2700... Hard to resist the value offered by the Spectrum or CDA! And God knows that either Tom or Kelly will build you what you want.

So, forget about the Marcelo. And for the money you'll save by forgoing the Marcelo, get the Merckx repainted!

slowgoing
01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Build up the Merckx. You have nothing to lose. Then decide.

michael white
01-30-2007, 05:20 PM
dump the Merckx for sure. Where did you say you live?

Climb01742
01-30-2007, 05:26 PM
or... get a CDA with a down tube the size of a baseball bat!!!

no, andrew, convince him to get a meivici!!!! think profit margin! :beer:

Serotta_Andrew
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
no, andrew, convince him to get a meivici!!!! think profit margin! :beer:

Oh right... so a carbon baseball bat!!!!

Smiley
01-30-2007, 06:26 PM
CDA , Colorado Concept Nobium steel tubes and for $ 1795 add to that a wonderfull F3 fork and you can't tell me the others are still in contention :)

Dredd
01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Question about the Merckx, have you ridden it before? I own a Mx leader and do not think that it is "stiff." Adequate in the drive train but it is the best ridding/handleing bike I have ridden.

Serotta CDA/CSI; I have owned both and both were designed around a 180 - 190 rider. Both were stiffer than the Merckx, but can't say better. I can say that the F 3 8.5 fork was an improvement over a typical carbon fork.

I would say none of my bike were as stiff as a Cannondale. And I see no reason for a bike that stiff, unless you like the "fast feel". They were night and day different rides. I would ride the Merckx if you have not ridden it yet. You may not like the way the Merckx rides.

I know TK but have never ridden on of his bikes. If he can get the tube set that Fat Robert had his frame out of, The resulting frame should kick the Marcelo's rear end. As it would be custom geometry. And I would get an Serotta F 3 8.5 fork

Or go for a Big Leg Emma

rwsaunders
01-30-2007, 08:40 PM
www.bilenky.com is in the Philly area if you're really stuck on a locally made custom. I agree that the CDA is a nice ride and given that the dealer is down the proverbial road, it seems like a nice choice.

I believe that there's a new 60cm CDA on the 'Bay.

pdxmech13
01-30-2007, 09:05 PM
The cda is a sweet frame and one of the most perfected things made today.

Buy a kellog if you want something really rare and can go see the man himself.

All the other choices well aren't really the same quality of bike.

RPS
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Would like it to be around 19-20lbs biult with ultegra and 32h open pro wheels.
Should aim lower. My 54 CM steel with Ultegra 9-sp triple and Open Pros is just below that; not that weight is all that important to me.

weaponsgrade
01-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I'd go with the local builder - Spectrum. Make the drive out there and meet with the builder. It makes the process of buying a frame that much more unique when you can talk one-on-one with the builder.

Ray
01-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Spectrum. I have two. And I'm a half hour farther from the barn :)

Seriously, I can't imagine Tom couldn't come up with whatever level of stiffness you want. And if you've never gone through a session with him in the barn and then ridden the result with your mouth hanging open at the perfection of it all....

Not saying any of the other choices wouldn't be very good, but Tom is one of the very small handfull of fitters/designers/builders that I've never seen anything other than glowing reviews of. Has anyone ever gotten a custom Spectrum that they DIDN'T love? Probably, but I've never seen evidence of it online and I looked pretty carefully back when I was doing my research. That's what inspired me to finally take the plunge. And now I've joined the chorus.

Both of mine are ti and they've completely killed my gear lust. Someday, if I literally have money burning holes in pockets, I'd love to have a steel one too just to have that same sublime handling in a pretty lugged bike in addition to the industrial looking ti models I have now. But I've got the ride covered and it would be tough to buy another one just for the looks.

-Ray

Climb01742
01-31-2007, 04:22 AM
Has anyone ever gotten a custom Spectrum that they DIDN'T love?

this may be one of the truest statements ever posted. i can't remember a single person ever saying they didn't love their TK baby. that's remarkable.

sailorboy
01-31-2007, 04:33 AM
Give a Della Santa some consideration. I'm told his wait list is only about 3-5 months. Totally custom, whatever tubes you want, and made by a master.

pdxmech13
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
serotta in 5-6 weeks.
the true master

znfdl
01-31-2007, 10:26 AM
I vote for TK as he has built me 5 bikes, yes I put one of his daughters through college. Each time I wanted specific charateristics out of the bike and TK and Jeff delivered on exactly what I wanted.

I sold one of my bikes to Beungood and a Ti frame to 39Cross.

jeffg
02-01-2007, 11:39 AM
The cda is a sweet frame and one of the most perfected things made today.

Buy a kellog if you want something really rare and can go see the man himself.

All the other choices well aren't really the same quality of bike.

I am sure a CdA is a wonderful bike and among the best riding and constructed steel bikes available. Give me one brazed (lugs or filets) and it's a no brainer.

TK would no doubt be at the top of the list, as would Kirk for lugs/filets or Carl Strong (TIG)

My current jones is for a Marcelo after having been fitted by Dario. I would contend the quality of design & execution is equal to the others listed here.

My favorite bike is in fact a Serotta Legend (2002), so a Pegoretti is something different, a different take on the fit and how the bike should look. It would likely be a bit more aggressive for 6-8 hour romps versus 12-15+ hour double centuries or brevets.

If I had to pick one it would be a tough call but a CdA, a Kirk, or a Specturm are all in the same price range and would be fantastic bikes, I am sure. A Marcelo is a few hundred more f/f but that is mostly due to the sliding dollar.

Choices are a wonderful thing, and there are many great steel frames available. So many are not even mentioned here, Sachs, Mariposa, Goodrich, etc.

Serotta PETE
02-01-2007, 11:55 AM
There are no bad choices!!

BUT if you do not mind not having lugs my choice is a CDA (bet that shocks everyone!!!)

Depending on when you want it, other good choices are KIRK,SACHS, SPECTRUM

Tom Kellogg
02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
You guys really don't have a clue do you? :confused: Any idiot, after thirty years and a few thousand fittings can do this. :rolleyes: Give it a try. It's fun! :banana: :banana: :banana:

old_school
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
You guys really don't have a clue do you? :confused: Any idiot, after thirty years and a few thousand fittings can do this. :rolleyes: Give it a try. It's fun! :banana: :banana: :banana:

As I see it, anyone with 30 years of experience can call himself as an expert, but only the master will refer to himself as an idiot.

Tailwinds
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM

I vote for humility.

djg
02-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Have I got thirty years?

Cary Ford
02-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Whoever said the Merckx isn't "stiff" has a different definition of the word...

IMHOATMO, The MX Leader is very stiff, but plush, v, for instance, the Big Leg Emma which is very stiff, but nimble.

Build up the Merckx.

soulspinner
02-02-2007, 07:40 PM
See Mr Kellog. And get the new Reynolds UL fork he helped develop or enjoy a tasty steel one. If he is that close, you outta go...