PDA

View Full Version : Why no more silver option for newer aluminum rim models?

Mark McM
07-24-2020, 06:51 PM
Despite the rise in popularity of carbon rims, aluminum rims still have their place - they are typically less expensive, often more robust, and offer excellent rim braking. But why are so many aluminum rims only available with a black finish, and not their natural silver?

There was a time when nearly all aluminum rims were offered in a natural silver finish, and optionally in some other color or finish (often for an upcharge). But now very few aluminum rims are available in any color other than black, with silver left primarily for for "retro" rim models.

I'm currently looking to replace some older rims on one of my bikes, and silver rims better coordinate with the color of my frame and components. I'm looking for rims with contemporary features: 17-20mm internal width, 23-25mm external width, 25-30mm deep, with a weight of 450-500 grams. There are many rims out there that meet this spec. - but all of them appear to only be available in black. What's up with that? Anyone know of a rim of this type in a silver finish?

cinema
07-24-2020, 06:53 PM
h plus son archetype

AngryScientist
07-24-2020, 06:54 PM
Despite the rise in popularity of carbon rims, aluminum rims still have their place - they are typically less expensive, often more robust, and offer excellent rim braking. But why are so many aluminum rims only available with a black finish, and not their natural silver?

There was a time when nearly all aluminum rims were offered in a natural silver finish, and optionally in some other color or finish (often for an upcharge). But now very few aluminum rims are available in any color other than black, with silver left primarily for for "retro" rim models.

I'm currently looking to replace some older rims on one of my bikes, and silver rims better coordinate with the color of my frame and components. I'm looking for rims with contemporary features: 17-20mm internal width, 23-25mm external width, 25-30mm deep, with a weight of 450-500 grams. There are many rims out there that meet this spec. - but all of them appear to only be available in black. What's up with that? Anyone know of a rim of this type in a silver finish?

velocity quill.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5KSnZyJbXhU/XnjpL77eNXI/AAAAAAAADk0/8yvSdrj2PogEBVd5QskGWyUcGgV0XHaRQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_5211.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
07-24-2020, 07:02 PM
Slim pickings for sure.

Yes, Velocity Quill. Also Kinlin XR26T.

Pacenti Brevet is an option if you'd settle for a shallow rim. It's polished, though, not silver anodized. A23 is still out there, but again not as deep as you're after.

AngryScientist
07-24-2020, 07:03 PM
also this bit on the velocity rims:

All Custom Anodized colors are special order and will require at least 2 weeks for production. If black, polished, silver, or any other color is not listed under specs and drilling offerings, then they will be handled as a special order.

$30 upcharge for custom ano. pretty cool!

Bici-Sonora
07-24-2020, 07:14 PM
Slim pickings for sure.

Yes, Velocity Quill. Also Kinlin XR26T.

Pacenti Brevet is an option if you'd settle for a shallow rim. It's polished, though, not silver anodized. A23 is still out there, but again not as deep as you're after.

I’ll add that of the rims mentioned, the Quill and Brevet are the easiest/best for tubeless setups. IME, I can seat tires with a floor pump on the Brevets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bici-Sonora
07-24-2020, 07:16 PM
You also could look at the Ritchey Zeta Classic and Hunt if you’d consider built wheels.

many_styles
07-24-2020, 07:30 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200725/20b109f8d98b24147826e2a1262a9076.jpg

One off, satin finished Velocity Quill.

Mark McM
07-24-2020, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The Kinlin XR26T is exactly the tpe of rim I'm looking for, but I can't find it in silver in the spoke drillings I'm looking for. BikeHubStore.com has some, but only in 32 spokes. Anyone know where I can find 24 and 28 drillings in silver?

I wasn't familiar with the Velocity Quill, but it looks good. A quick Google search only found it in black, but the photos here show that obviously can be had in silver - any leads on sources?

The H Plus Son looks interesting. A Google search quickly found it in a polished finish, which is great. I'm not completely sold on sharp V shape, but maybe I'll warm up to it.

AngryScientist
07-24-2020, 08:02 PM

The Kinlin XR26T is exactly the tpe of rim I'm looking for, but I can't find it in silver in the spoke drillings I'm looking for. BikeHubStore.com has some, but only in 32 spokes. Anyone know where I can find 24 and 28 drillings in silver?

I wasn't familiar with the Velocity Quill, but it looks good. A quick Google search only found it in black, but the photos here show that obviously can be had in silver - any leads on sources?

The H Plus Son looks interesting. A Google search quickly found it in a polished finish, which is great. I'm not completely sold on sharp V shape, but maybe I'll warm up to it.

if you call bikehubstore, they can order you anything that is currently in production. they ordered those silver quills i show above. it may take an extra couple days, but they can get em for you.

madsciencenow
07-24-2020, 08:09 PM
In case you are wondering what the H+ son might look like:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200725/ed336357185d01d630e5a3637b5ca7e6.jpg

yinzerniner
07-24-2020, 08:27 PM

Velocity Quill 24 and 28 hole:
https://wheelbuilder.com/velocity-quill-tubeless-clincher-rim/

Also another option is the custom Kinlin XR31T's from Hunt. You can order the rims directly, and then lace to the hubs of your choice. Only in 20 and 24h drillings though, and no offset option unlike the normal Kinlins:
https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collections/rims/products/hunt-sprint-aero-wide-rim

Smitty2k1
07-24-2020, 11:14 PM
I have an irrational desire to build up a H Plus Son wheelset in their grey color, but I can't find any decent photos of complete wheelsets in this color on bikes.

54ny77
07-24-2020, 11:28 PM
HB Son TB 14 polished. As nice as any retro polished rim--Mavic, Wolber, etc. Seriously nice rim.

Silver ano there's at least a couple: Mavic Open Pro silver, Velocity in multiple models w/silver option.

I have wheels from all 3 brands. I like Velocity 'cause it's made here stateside too.

Ya got some great options!

marciero
07-25-2020, 03:36 AM
also $30 upcharge. My source for Velocity rims (and lots of other stuff since 2003) is Peter White Cycles.