PDA

View Full Version : ERD limits?

ddeand
07-24-2020, 10:37 AM
I have a very nice set of tubular wheels that I'll likely not use - I'm just too old and a little to nervous about getting into the tubular thing. I'd like to keep the hubs and spokes and swap out the tubular rims for a clincher set. The current ERD of the rims is listed as 598. The closest clincher rims I can find from the same manufacturer have an ERD of 601. Will I be able to swap the clincher rims i using the existing spokes, or will I need to get new spokes? Or would it be better to find a rimset with the exact same ERD? Or should I just try to find someone to do a complete trade for the rims (and tires)? Any advice is appreciated.

Dave
07-24-2020, 11:08 AM
I don't think that any reputable builder would ever reuse old spokes.

ergott
07-24-2020, 11:20 AM
Maybe you can find some DT RR 1.1 rims. In my database I recorded 598 for those.

Replacing rim with clinchers is no different than if you were replacing a damaged rim from a pothole. Spokes are reused in this scenario all the time assuming they are in good shape.

New nipples though.

ddeand
07-24-2020, 11:32 AM
Thanks. The wheels are virtually new. I wouldn’t consider using old spokes if I were building up an old wheel.

ultraman6970
07-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Thats why many here trash like 50 pounds of spokes every year LOL

cmbicycles
07-24-2020, 12:57 PM
What are the wheels/rims you currently have? Would it be easier to sell them and buy some clinchers, or possibly trade?

H+Son Archetype is 595 erd, which you'd need spokes 1.5mm shorter from 598. It could work but depends on whether the spokes in your existing wheel are a little on the short side, or if too long. Some places you can only get spokes in even or odd lengths, so you'd be over/under 1mm from calculated lengths anyway. Maybe worth a shot if you can't find something exactly 598 erd. You can also use nipple washers to take up a little length, they are around 1/2mm thick.

muz
07-24-2020, 01:01 PM
DT-Swiss R460 is 596mm.

ddeand
07-24-2020, 01:43 PM
The wheels are Velocity Major Toms w/Clement PDX tires.

ColonelJLloyd
07-24-2020, 02:27 PM
The closest clincher rims I can find from the same manufacturer have an ERD of 603.

I think you have overlooked the Dyad and A23.

The Velocity Dyad has an ERD of 597mm.
DT Swiss R460 is 596mm.
As stated above H+Son Archetype is 595mm.

First I would remove the rim tape and see where the spoke ends sit currently. This would inform my replacement rim decision.

If the spoke ends are not presently at the end of a traditional nipple I would personally be comfortable using any of the above rims with the same spokes. I would use double square nipples which provide some wiggle room for spokes that are a hair too long as the threading extends further into the rim bed. I simply prefer double squares for all builds now. If the particular rim bed allows for it then nipples washers are a good idea as stated above.

If the spoke ends at present are protruding through the end of the nipple I'd be comfortable using an A23 with an ERD of 601mm.

ddeand
07-24-2020, 02:47 PM
I think you have overlooked the Dyad and A23.

I made a mistake in my original post (corrected). I was looking at the A23 ( 601 ERD according to the website) as replacement rims since they seem to be the only rims close to the Major Toms. I have a set of wheels with Dyad rims and really like them, but the Major Tom set is a 28/24 spoke set and the Dyads call for more spokes.