PDA

View Full Version : OT: Baseball is Back! Kind of. With cardboard fans.

XXtwindad
07-23-2020, 11:43 PM
Doesn’t matter. It’s still the Grand Old Game. In honor of the new season, here’s my starting lineup. Not the best, necessarily, although I’d argue that the battery mates and 2B might have a legitimate claim to that. Who do other have in their lineup? And, yeah, I grew up in the late Seventies :)

C Yogi Berra
1B. Rod Carew
2B Joe Morgan
SS Ozzie Smith (favorite all-time)
3B George Brett
LF Ichiro (2nd favorite)
CF Amos Otis (second best player from Mobile, AL)
RF Dwight Evans (should be in HOF)
P Sandy Koufax

eddief
07-24-2020, 12:16 AM
hope Covid does not kill it forever cuz Espn Dodgers/Giants tonight was a snoozer. Cardboarders and piped in noise. Espn announcers did not help. Diehards die hard.

makoti
07-24-2020, 07:53 AM
60 games? I can't care. I wish they'd pack it in & wait till next year, like the Royals do every fall.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2020, 07:56 AM
60 games? I can't care. I wish they'd pack it in & wait till next year, like the Royals do every fall.

HA, yup, pretty lame but the players wanna get paid..

trener1
07-24-2020, 08:01 AM
I watched the Yankees/Nationals game.
There was no piped in noise or cardboard people, and while I missed the energy of the fans, I was still glad to be able to turn out the tube and catch a live game.
And I am happy that they are playing
Why all the negativity?

ColonelJLloyd
07-24-2020, 08:15 AM
...I was still glad to be able to turn out the tube and catch a live game.
And I am happy that they are playing
Why all the negativity?

+1 Looking forward to the Cards opening day today. Brators gonna brate.

72gmc
07-24-2020, 09:02 AM
Why all the negativity?

A team could have some fun with it. A cardboard Bartman on the third base side, a cardboard Jeffrey Maier hanging just over the fan interference line in center field ...

XXtwindad
07-24-2020, 09:35 AM
+1 Looking forward to the Cards opening day today. Brators gonna brate.

Favorite team of all-time: 1985 Cards. Lead by the Wizard. Stole 314 bases as a team. 314! Five guys stole more than 30 bases, including Vince Coleman with 110. Coleman, Willie McGee, and Andy Van Slyke had more than 30 triples between them. McGee had 18! Gold Gloves in CF and SS and great defense elsewhere. Fantastic pitching.

I’d love to see a team like that again. I’d come back full throttle into the fold.

trener1
07-24-2020, 09:43 AM
Belive it or not the Yankees actually played small ball yesterday.
Man on first and the laid down the perfect bunt, the nationals were caught so off guard that both runners were safe.
I mean the Bronx Bombers of all teams

William
07-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Easier to just do what NASCAR did and paint your seats so at a distance on camera it has the effect of looking like a crowd. And even when people can come back it still keeps up appearances if attendance is low.

W.

fiamme red
07-31-2020, 03:32 PM
Now two St. Louis Cardinals tested positive. This season is a mess already.

Twenty percent of Friday's games will not be played due to positive coronavirus tests around the league: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-schedule-changed-again-by-cardinals-covid-19-tests-15-total-games-postponed-including-three-on-friday/

ColonelJLloyd
07-31-2020, 03:43 PM
I hold out no hope this "season" is actually played out.