PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Saddle recommendations

arimajol
07-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Hey gang,
After around 8 years commuting on a Brooks B17, I'm looking to change up my commuter saddle. I got caught in the rain a couple times and it is very saggy. I just don't think it's practical to commute on such a hydrophobic saddle! Typical rides on this bike are commuting, running errands, going out for dinner, that type of thing, estimate about 5 miles each way.
I use an Antares on my road bike and like it, but am looking for something that's comfortable without wearing shorts with a chamois. The Anatares is okay in this regard, but hoping for something a little more forgiving. Bonus points for a perineumial cutout.
Models I'm considering:
-Brooks C15 carved - My wife has a c17 carved and likes it.
-Fabric scoop shallow - Looks nice, does the channel in the back do anything for the ol' taint?

Open to lots of other suggestions. Haven't tried most saddle brands out there.
Thanks!

Bentley
07-23-2020, 01:00 PM
I have two of these saddles... I find it comfortable. I prefer the shape of the Power.... but for a more traditional shape, this is good and water won’t be an issue

cinema
07-23-2020, 01:03 PM
if you like the b17 stick with the c17. the c15 isn't great imo. have both.

arimajol
07-23-2020, 01:12 PM
if you like the b17 stick with the c17. the c15 isn't great imo. have both.

why isn't it great? flexy? personal comfort?

yinzerniner
07-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Brooks all weather is still pretty comfy but without the possibility of getting all grimy like the regular cambium.

But IMO the most comfy padding in a road saddle is the Mimic series from Specialized. Really conforms to the rear, but still has a lot of support.

Some of the newer 3d printed saddles (Spec Mirror and Fizik adaptive) are supposed to be the bees knees, but they're very expensive and also look to be a nightmare to keep clean.

cinema
07-23-2020, 01:42 PM
why isn't it great? flexy? personal comfort?

it has an aggressive taper makes it feel way more narrow than they claim. imo. they say it's 142ish but feels 130. i'll sell you mine if you want it. nice shape all weather. $50 can probably turn it around for the same price if you don't like it. it's carved. c17 is among the most comfy saddles i've sat on, if not the most.

arimajol
07-23-2020, 02:06 PM
it has an aggressive taper makes it feel way more narrow than they claim. imo. they say it's 142ish but feels 130. i'll sell you mine if you want it. nice shape all weather. $50 can probably turn it around for the same price if you don't like it. it's carved. c17 is among the most comfy saddles i've sat on, if not the most.

Thank you, that's really good to know. I read the width was very similar to Antares, so was using that as a comparison, sounds like it wouldn't fit me very well if its as you described.

kevinvc
07-23-2020, 02:14 PM
I use a C 15 on my go-fast road bike, and C 17 on both my commuter and packing bikes. I like the narrower C 15 when I'm kitted up, but appreciate the additional width and flex for casual or all-day riding. I tried one with a cutout and hated it. It felt like bits kept getting pinched and tugged. :eek:

I know they work for a lot of folks, but didn't for me. One thing to be aware of with the Cambriums is that they have a little texture to them. Not enough that I notice it, but definitely enough to start fading work slacks or other light cotton shorts or pants.

Veloo
07-23-2020, 05:41 PM
I use a Charge Spoon from Merlin.
Cheap and surprisingly comfy. It replaced a stock saddle on a 90's Schwinn MTB.

I was even considering getting one for the "good" bike but I couldn't find a white Ti rail version.

https://www.merlincycles.com/charge-spoon-cromo-rail-saddle-106422.html

ernmony
07-23-2020, 05:58 PM
Try Fabric. Very comfy and inexpensive. I have one with Ti rails for my No22 GD.

https://fabric.cc/products/saddles/