PDA

View Full Version : Went to the LBS today...

mdeth1313
07-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Actually, it's a 30 minute drive, but the one down the road is unreliable and not trustworthy (and just horrible in general). Have a wheel that I thought was out of true and had a hop. Turns out the tire didn't seat properly and it was difficult to see.

The mechanic offered to try to seat it to see if that was it, instead of having to wait a couple of weeks for them to get to it (it's a 2nd set of wheels so no biggie there).

While I was waiting it was interesting to see what's going on. Max 4 people in the store at a time. There were old, beat up crappy bikes everywhere waiting to be tuned up/fixed. One couple came in and dropped off a new schwinn still in the box for assembly. Another person was looking for a bike rack and I guess those went with all the bikes people are buying. They also took a phone call where they told someone they put their name on a list and as bikes come in they go down the list and call people to see if they still want to buy it.

Took a few minutes but he got it seated - they wouldn't take any money. I drove down the road to a gas station, picked up a 6-pack and went back to drop it off.

R3awak3n
07-22-2020, 07:29 PM
yeah, bike shop life is crazy right now. I listen to this podcast and one dude that works at a bike shop said last month was their best month ever, in the history of the store.

Toeclips
07-22-2020, 07:40 PM
LBS = local beer store

oldfatslow
07-22-2020, 07:43 PM
Sometimes cash works better than beers. I know anything is appreciated but my shop has a tip process (option on POS) & a tip bucket. I tip generously.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

fa63
07-22-2020, 07:43 PM
yeah, bike shop life is crazy right now. I listen to this podcast and one dude that works at a bike shop said last month was their best month ever, in the history of the store.

The shop I work at had a record breaking May, then we did even better in June. This month is slightly lower, but because we have completely run out of bikes to sell (except one $4K MTB).

zzy
07-22-2020, 07:47 PM
The only limiting factor on bikeshop income right now is how many wrenches they can find and how much inventory they can find. The used bike market here in NY has been absolutely insane.

rounder
07-22-2020, 08:00 PM
Our local bike shop is only open to the public several days per week these days. Meanwhile, they are working seven days a week doing repairs. I tried to schedule a repair and was told that the earliest date was Aug 12. I am glad they are busy and wish them well. I have other bikes to ride so was not a big deal to me.

skiezo
07-22-2020, 08:22 PM
I buy a bunch of taco's from a local taco truck for the guys at my LBS a few times a year. I get treated very well and have been dealing with the same shop and ppl for 30+ years.

unterhausen
07-22-2020, 08:56 PM
LBS = local beer store

Beercycle store. We do yoga there after hours. And by yoga, I mean drink beer

peanutgallery
07-22-2020, 09:06 PM
Scarcity is the name of the game

Bikes are gone, folks are dropping $200 to $300 on craptastic bikes that are 3 decades old, phone rings off the hook with fredly problems, every day is another consumable that's gone MIA. Don't get me started on people that actually come in the door. After a day in a mask, beer is greatly appreciated

My world for a 26 inch tires or tube:)

It's crazy... profitable...but more like black Friday for months on end. Definitely a little weird and wearing out the staff

colker
07-22-2020, 09:30 PM
Bike industry finds that what sells bikes is not racing, high tech or image but pure unadulterated freedom on two wheels. Any bike is cool if you just want to ride.

colker
07-22-2020, 09:34 PM
My world for a 26 inch tires or tube:)

BIke industry pretended 26in wheel vanished away.. suddenly you have millions of perfectly fine 26in bikes needing tires and tubes that are not for sale. That´s the bike millions of people have at home. Capitalism pretends to be smart when it´s as stupid as can be.

colker
07-22-2020, 09:37 PM
Our local bike shop is only open to the public several days per week these days. Meanwhile, they are working seven days a week doing repairs. I tried to schedule a repair and was told that the earliest date was Aug 12. I am glad they are busy and wish them well. I have other bikes to ride so was not a big deal to me.

Buy the tools and learn how to fix it. It will double the love and you will find out which bike tech makes sense and which tech doesn´t.

tuxbailey
07-22-2020, 09:42 PM
I am happy that the LBS are thriving. I tried ordering some suspension oil online and got cancelled and the LBS orders one for me for the same price.

But I agree it is better to learn to wrench. I learned a lot last month from. Updating my road bike to Carbon wheels and finally know how to adjust the RD, as well as overhauling my mtb.

It was funny looking back at the beginning of the pandemic and we were thinking that the bike industry, specially the mom and pop shop will be crushed along with the economy. Glad that it is not true. The more people learn about the joy of biking the better it is.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

peanutgallery
07-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Not necessarily, there's a reason all those bikes were under the porch for the last 30 years. They'll soon return

BIke industry pretended 26in wheel vanished away.. suddenly you have millions of perfectly fine 26in bikes needing tires and tubes that are not for sale. That´s the bike millions of people have at home. Capitalism pretends to be smart when it´s as stupid as can be.

Louis
07-22-2020, 09:53 PM
they wouldn't take any money

When this happens I usually buy something, like a pair or socks or water-bottle with the shop's logo.

(The last time I did the "get some beer to say thanks" thing, it turned out that one of the guys was "in recovery" so he didn't drink, which caused me to feel pretty bad about the whole thing.)

jtakeda
07-22-2020, 09:55 PM
The only limiting factor on bikeshop income right now is how many wrenches they can find and how much inventory they can find. The used bike market here in NY has been absolutely insane.

Im currently unemployed and called the LBS to see if I could get a headset popped in the Potts. They said they had 18 bikes come in for a tuneup the day before so couldnt see me for a week. I told him if they need seasonal COVID help id be happy to come in and wrench and they can try me out but they werent interested...

Louis
07-22-2020, 10:02 PM
called the LBS to see if I could get a headset popped in the Potts

DIY isn't hard and the parts are pretty cheap. I do the upper and lower cups separately, so it's it bit more idiot-proof and easier to get things aligned properly.

http://www.cyclesnack.com/2008/12/diy-headset-press.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Iy5WWtdCTX0/SUULtqQZ4_I/AAAAAAAAEns/CYr1ZFRYhbw/s400/IMG_9778.JPG

jtakeda
07-22-2020, 10:16 PM
DIY isn't hard and the parts are pretty cheap. I do the upper and lower cups separately, so it's it bit more idiot-proof and easier to get things aligned properly.

http://www.cyclesnack.com/2008/12/diy-headset-press.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Iy5WWtdCTX0/SUULtqQZ4_I/AAAAAAAAEns/CYr1ZFRYhbw/s400/IMG_9778.JPG

I didnt want to risk DIYing my first custom frame. Id rather pay $30 and have someone with the proper tool do it.

I ended up driving to Lake County and it was nice to see the shop there. Knowledgeable staff and friendly service. I gotta check out the LBS anyway, I dont know any of the shops

Louis
07-22-2020, 10:32 PM
i didnt want to risk diying my first custom frame.

+1

zzy
07-22-2020, 10:54 PM
they can try me out but they werent interested...

no industry experience?

makoti
07-22-2020, 10:55 PM
When this happens I usually buy something, like a pair or socks or water-bottle with the shop's logo.

(The last time I did the "get some beer to say thanks" thing, it turned out that one of the guys was "in recovery" so he didn't drink, which caused me to feel pretty bad about the whole thing.)

Yeah, you never know about that, so a delivered pizza usually is a good call

jtakeda
07-22-2020, 11:15 PM
no industry experience?

I mean I was a messenger for 9 years and have built and stripped I don’t know how many bikes (100?) and built the bikes for the bike library in college.

But never at a shop

I was more commenting that someone mentioned that labor seems to be the bottleneck at the LBS these days and my LBS that was slammed and didn’t even want to consider having someone who has no intention of staying with them past the pandemic. It’s as low risk of an employee as you could have, I’m not even looking for work for when business returns to normal flow.

zzy
07-23-2020, 12:07 AM
It's the worst time to come into the industry, as no one has the time to teach you, evaluate you, and check over your work. That said I'm surprised they didn't want help building new bikes out of a box. But even that these days requires skill with hydraulics, 11sp bits, and crazy internal routing.

ridethecliche
07-23-2020, 01:14 AM
This thread is why I was considering selling the rim brake bike I picked up used and have been riding for a few months. With no new bikes around, I figured it was going to be as good as it gets with regard to getting money back for the bike.

Its an 11 speed Shimano 105- 5800 level bike with a decent frame. Pretty much now or never tbh re trying to get the most back for a bike like this with the goal of moving to something with discs.

Pegoready
07-23-2020, 01:57 AM
I'm finding bike shops to be both incredibly busy and very fearful of a correction in the market-- so lots of business but no time or desire to hire.

Personally, I'd steer clear of any bike shops right now unless you are a regular paying customer and willing to drop big $'s without drama. They need to make hay while the sun shines, and new bike sales and big service bills are going to do it.

fignon's barber
07-23-2020, 05:42 AM
I mean I was a messenger for 9 years and have built and stripped I don’t know how many bikes (100?) and built the bikes for the bike library in college.

But never at a shop

I was more commenting that someone mentioned that labor seems to be the bottleneck at the LBS these days and my LBS that was slammed and didn’t even want to consider having someone who has no intention of staying with them past the pandemic. It’s as low risk of an employee as you could have, I’m not even looking for work for when business returns to normal flow.

If you're between jobs, maybe do bike service house calls. Set up a simple web page (it's cheap and easy), schedule appts, and go. Most of the bike servicing right now is easy stuff like tune ups, flat tires, rust. People would pay a bit more for home service, and you can make it contactless very easily.

peanutgallery
07-23-2020, 07:08 AM
Ding, ding, ding

It's a mix of product scarcity coupled with a bunch of folks with nothing else to do. Under 6 elite travel soccer has been cancelled. It's a wired wave of demand

Look for a big glut of used stuff on marketplace next summer. Hopefully, shops don't pay attention to the sunny optimism of certain manufacturers who have boatloads of product that will finally get here just in time for winter. The Trek and Specialized Spring Super sale ought to be pretty epic in 2021. D2C in a big way, to boot

I'm finding bike shops to be both incredibly busy and very fearful of a correction in the market-- so lots of business but no time or desire to hire.

Personally, I'd steer clear of any bike shops right now unless you are a regular paying customer and willing to drop big $'s without drama. They need to make hay while the sun shines, and new bike sales and big service bills are going to do it.

colker
07-23-2020, 07:37 AM
Not necessarily, there's a reason all those bikes were under the porch for the last 30 years. They'll soon return

Oh.. they are not faster, greater, gnarlier as a 27.5 or FS29er. I can still ride them on a trail and come home smiling. Even better is the fact mountain bikes from late 80s, rigid, 6 sp, still work.
I like any bike that rides straight and true and i can overhaul entirely at home. I had lots of suspension forks. Not anymore.

colker
07-23-2020, 07:41 AM
If you're between jobs, maybe do bike service house calls. Set up a simple web page (it's cheap and easy), schedule appts, and go. Most of the bike servicing right now is easy stuff like tune ups, flat tires, rust. People would pay a bit more for home service, and you can make it contactless very easily.

Great idea.

ltwtsculler91
07-23-2020, 08:54 AM

But never at a shop

Being the "weekend sales help" at my LBS, part of the issue in a lot of shops is fitting in another mechanic/service worker. It's entirely possible your LBS just doesn't have the space or equipment to set up another guy to work on bikes.

4151zero
07-23-2020, 08:58 AM
THIS!

Not to mention that there are so many health and safety guidelines that need to be observed nowadays, especially in the bay area.

I do see a few shops building outside on the sidewalk, and local residents look a lil perplexed as they walk by, taking a HUGE wide berth to avoid not only employees but customers waiting on the same walkway.

Being the "weekend sales help" at my LBS, part of the issue in a lot of shops is fitting in another mechanic/service worker. It's entirely possible your LBS just doesn't have the space or equipment to set up another guy to work on bikes.

eippo1
07-23-2020, 10:33 AM

Coffee and donuts are usually always appreciated as well.

mdeth1313
07-23-2020, 11:17 AM

GOOD FOR YOU! :rolleyes:

mdeth1313
07-23-2020, 11:30 AM

Wait a minute. What if one of the employees is vegan, celiac or severely allergic?

Maybe send a hallmark card.

ridethecliche
07-23-2020, 05:39 PM
THIS!

Not to mention that there are so many health and safety guidelines that need to be observed nowadays, especially in the bay area.

I do see a few shops building outside on the sidewalk, and local residents look a lil perplexed as they walk by, taking a HUGE wide berth to avoid not only employees but customers waiting on the same walkway.

No different than restaurants that have taken over sidewalks and parking lanes to be able to have some semblance of business going.

Welcome to the new normal.