PDA

View Full Version : anyone running IRD Defiant cranks? need a measurement >>>

wallymann
07-22-2020, 06:32 PM
need the distance between the medial faces of end of each crank-arm...need to know how wide that space is for compatibility with an MTB frame.

also need to know the BB width you're using to adjust the number.

fwiw...the chainstays in question are ~120mm wide @ the pedal-ends of the crank.

TIA

wallymann
07-22-2020, 06:50 PM
just googled...the Q-factor is a very narrow 143mm on a 118mm JIS BB.

assuming 10mm arm thickness, we're a skosh over 120mm. that's awfully tight! maybe i can run a 122mm BB spindle to give me some wiggle room.

can someone verify the thickness of the crank-arms @ the pedal-holes?

Spaghetti Legs
07-22-2020, 08:29 PM
OK, here are a bunch of numbers for ya:

Crank ends 14 mm wide.

Width between medial sides of the crank arms at the ends 113 mm. I just measured down to the floor with a level and drew a line, so wouldn’t vouch for precision on that.

My chainstays 100 mm outside to outside and 11.3 mm clearance NDS and 12 mm DS. Hope this helps.

118 mm BB

Edit: Those numbers don’t really add up I don’t think, so I would toss that 113 measurement. I’m more confident of the chainstay measurements.

wallymann
07-22-2020, 09:51 PM
thank you!

My chainstays 100 mm outside to outside and 11.3 mm clearance NDS and 12 mm DS. Hope this helps.

118 mm BB.

dddd
07-23-2020, 10:24 AM
With bb lengths available to either side of that 118mm, the next thing to consider is the chainline.
The rear spacing and cassette width are going to play into this.

Espacially your bike's gearing strategy, whether much in the way of cross-chaining will want to be going on.

FWIW, I've fussed over chainline annoyances to the point where I have modified the crankset, machining the small ring slightly or taking a file to the pedal eye.
Crankarms do flex, so I like to see a minimum of 2-3mm between the arm and the chainstay. Chainring clearance can be less than that though.