PDA

View Full Version : Assos Tiburu bib shorts: ALTERNATIVES?

maslow
07-22-2020, 07:42 AM
Just wondered if anyone on here knows of a decent alternative to the Assos Tiburu bib Shorts. As I’m ageing I’ve begun having IT band problems (for which I do various stretches, yoga and see a physio therapist on and off + have also bought a standing desk as I’ve found sitting at an office chair is one of the worst causes).

One thing I know does aggravate the problem is when riding in the cold. When out last night on a training ride, although it wasn’t cold my hip and IT band could certainly feel a cold wind thru the lycra shorts. Anyhow the Assos Tiburu shorts which I wear throughout spring and autumn prevent this; but only having a couple of pairs I just wondered if there is an alternative that’s equally as good.

Basically I should have worn them last night but think I have a habit of using them sparingly to save wearing them out and having to replace (yes, a bit silly I know).

verticaldoug
07-22-2020, 08:52 AM
I am not sure if Assos is making the cheaper version for the fall or will only have the RSR Spring/winter

You should pick up the FF_1 on sale for $179 in the archive.
https://us.assos.com/FF1-RS-Spring-Fall-Bib-Shorts?quantity=1&g=FF1-RS-Spring-Fall-Bib-Shorts_None-1-M.jpg&color=176&size=4

These are cheap because it is the Petronas race kit. However, these are really nice and a steal .

Good luck with the IT Band. I had an issue running a few years ago, but some strengthening exercises, stretching and it was fixed in short order. But when it hurts, it hurt so bad.

FlashUNC
07-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Assos' Equipe RS line has a pair of thermal bib shorts that have replaced the tiburus. They also still make knickers if you need those as well.

VTR1000SP2
07-22-2020, 09:01 AM
The Rapha Pro Team II Thermal has been my go-to pair for colder rides. They offer more compression, unlike the Tiburu, and this is a preference for me.

maslow
07-22-2020, 09:12 AM
I am not sure if Assos is making the cheaper version for the fall or will only have the RSR Spring/winter

You should pick up the FF_1 on sale for $179 in the archive.
https://us.assos.com/FF1-RS-Spring-Fall-Bib-Shorts?quantity=1&g=FF1-RS-Spring-Fall-Bib-Shorts_None-1-M.jpg&color=176&size=4

These are cheap because it is the Petronas race kit. However, these are really nice and a steal .

Good luck with the IT Band. I had an issue running a few years ago, but some strengthening exercises, stretching and it was fixed in short order. But when it hurts, it hurt so bad.

Thanks - haven't seen these before. And yes it has been a real nusance. Hoping it's not permanent as its been coming and going so to speak for more than a year now.

AngryScientist
07-22-2020, 09:15 AM
if cold is the problem, consider a pair of unpadded thermal tights over your bibs.

maslow
07-22-2020, 09:20 AM
The Rapha Pro Team II Thermal has been my go-to pair for colder rides. They offer more compression, unlike the Tiburu, and this is a preference for me.

I've never tried the Rapha bibs before (I suppose as I've been using assos shorts and longs for so many years and never felt the need to buy anything else). I'll have to look these up.

CNY rider
07-22-2020, 09:31 AM
if cold is the problem, consider a pair of unpadded thermal tights over your bibs.

This works well.
I have tried Rapha thermal bibs and they don't match up to Assos, at least for me.
In fact when it comes to cold weather riding gear I'm not sure anything matches up with Assos.

verticaldoug
07-22-2020, 09:52 AM
A combination swan pose + some light plyometrics focused on one legged hops, skips, lounges to work on stability/strength issues helped me.

I'm surprised the cold bothers it. I was always big on the throw ice in the bath tub since during my collegiate days of track, it seemed ice baths were the go to treatment for everything.

Don't lose faith, you will eventually get it under control and be back to pain free riding.

maslow
07-22-2020, 09:58 AM

It's becoming a bit of problem for me; when we go out this time of year it's really warm and to wear a pair of knee warmers, knicks or full longs, etc and I'd just overheat.

It seems to be the wind that causes the problem and my hips are really sensitive to it (fingers crossed it's not the onset of arthritis). What I like about the Tiburu shorts is I can still get rid of excess body heat while the RX material protects my IT bands from wind chill.

So in short its not a cold weather riding problem. I've got several winter clothing combinations that keep the cold out (a pair of Fugu longs being one of them as well as the LL.607 and LL.716 longs). The problem is more this time of year when longs or knickers are just too much (and to add, I actually "run warm" if that makes sense).

Duende
07-22-2020, 11:23 AM
Q36.5 Wolf hybrid. LOVE these shorts. In winter I can where them with just thermal leg warmers and I’m golden! We don’t get the cold out west like It gets back East. But if your liking for something to stop the cold wind without compromising fit or utility... these are amazing.

maslow
07-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Q36.5 Wolf hybrid. LOVE these shorts. In winter I can where them with just thermal leg warmers and I’m golden! We don’t get the cold out west like It gets back East. But if your liking for something to stop the cold wind without compromising fit or utility... these are amazing.

Many thanks - I haven't heard of them but from a bit of reading think I'd like to give these a try.

Duende
07-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Many thanks - I haven't heard of them but from a bit of reading think I'd like to give these a try.

You’ll be stoked and you definitely won’t overheat. I could where them all year long, as in San Francisco we usually have a cold wind coming from somewhere. Haha! They’ll keep you warm but not too warm!

ronlau
07-22-2020, 12:57 PM
I would suggest you look into Ale as well.

https://www.alebikewear.com/men/shorts
https://www.alebikewear.com/prs-delta-winter-men-bibshort-double-ergo-shammy?color=gray

Just wondered if anyone on here knows of a decent alternative to the Assos Tiburu bib Shorts. As I’m ageing I’ve begun having IT band problems (for which I do various stretches, yoga and see a physio therapist on and off + have also bought a standing desk as I’ve found sitting at an office chair is one of the worst causes).

One thing I know does aggravate the problem is when riding in the cold. When out last night on a training ride, although it wasn’t cold my hip and IT band could certainly feel a cold wind thru the lycra shorts. Anyhow the Assos Tiburu shorts which I wear throughout spring and autumn prevent this; but only having a couple of pairs I just wondered if there is an alternative that’s equally as good.

Basically I should have worn them last night but think I have a habit of using them sparingly to save wearing them out and having to replace (yes, a bit silly I know).

maslow
07-22-2020, 02:26 PM
I’ve been faithful to the Assos brand (and the Assos chamois really) for so many years I’ve lost touch with everything else that’s out there. Many many thanks for all this input!

One thing I will say for Assos, and I’m not sure if they still do it but one used to be able to send garments off to Switzerland for their seamstresses to adjust the size. I lost weight some years ago and sent off a couple of bib knicks (circa 2004 must have been) and they reduced the garments to the next size down (the knicks were new mind).