PDA

View Full Version : "Serotta, Act II"

jpw
07-22-2020, 12:52 AM
https://serotta.com

Is this Ben himself?

weiwentg
07-22-2020, 04:55 AM
beaten to death (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=247479&highlight=Ben+serotta)

Bruce K
07-22-2020, 06:50 AM
Yes.

If you search the forum there has been lots of discussion.

BK

54ny77
07-22-2020, 07:18 AM
there was a very nice pronto on ebay, in red, that just sold.

too bad he can't revive that model. seemed to go hot hot cakes and has cult following now.

GregL
07-22-2020, 07:35 AM

too bad he can't revive that model. seemed to go hot hot cakes and has cult following now.
The Pronto always seemed (to me) to be the "CAAD10" of high-end, titanium race bikes. A good combination of geometry and price that appealed to a wide range of riders. If they were still in production, I'd be very interested.

Greg

johnmdesigner
07-22-2020, 08:25 AM
Oyh.

dgauthier
07-22-2020, 09:00 AM
So...has anybody here called up Ben to discuss a new bike?

reuben
07-22-2020, 09:03 AM

jpw
07-22-2020, 12:27 PM
Yes.

If you search the forum there has been lots of discussion.

BK

Thanks. I've been away for some time. I'll browse the forum.

I wonder if he'll be able to make his beautiful dropouts with 3D printing technology? I've yet to see any other dropout design as elegant. He's a designer and an artisan before he's anything else.

jpw
07-22-2020, 12:28 PM

Was that the model with super oversized tubing? In my mind I see a massive down tube.

Spinner
07-22-2020, 01:56 PM
The 3D dropouts were designed by Dave Kirk.

jpw
07-22-2020, 02:10 PM

Thanks.

happycampyer
07-22-2020, 02:14 PM
Thanks. I've been away for some time. I'll browse the forum.

I wonder if he'll be able to make his beautiful dropouts with 3D printing technology? I've yet to see any other dropout design as elegant. He's a designer and an artisan before he's anything else.

The "3D" dropouts were CNC-machined, not 3D-printed. They are a very sculpted, Breezer-style/hooded dropout.

(And yes, DK desiged them: http://kirkframeworks.com/about/history/more-history/)

duff_duffy
07-22-2020, 04:09 PM
That red one was relisted a few times. Seemed a nice deal at $2k to me (not sure what it sold for but on first go round did not get any bids from what I recall.

Was that the model with super oversized tubing? In my mind I see a massive down tube.

Brian Smith
07-22-2020, 06:02 PM

But the 3DXL dropouts, and those variants which came later, which were the dropouts longest in production and with which "we" are most familiar and are likely misidentifying as the "3D" dropouts, were designed by someone else. Just trying to add clarity here, not controversy.
There are no reasons that I can think of that Ben's current enterprise couldn't again use the 3DXL dropout in its designs.

jpw
07-23-2020, 05:07 AM
But the 3DXL dropouts, and those variants which came later, which were the dropouts longest in production and with which "we" are most familiar and are likely misidentifying as the "3D" dropouts, were designed by someone else. Just trying to add clarity here, not controversy.
There are no reasons that I can think of that Ben's current enterprise couldn't again use the 3DXL dropout in its designs.

Thanks. I always thought of them as 'signature' elements that helped to define a Serotta. I never liked the look of Paragon's hooded titanium dropouts.