PDA

View Full Version : 1990's Legend Ti Question

Marcusaurelius
01-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I was wondering if the 1994/1995 Legend Ti orginally came with the Serotta F1 carbon fork or was it steel? Also, I suspect my frame is 1994 or 1995 is there a way to tell what year it is?

David Kirk
01-30-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't recall the Legend ever coming with a steel fork standard.

What's the serial number?

Dave

Serotta PETE
01-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Steel was never a standard offering,,,,,It started with a Kinesis Aluminum and then the F1 was offered. As David mentioned, you can check via the SERIAL ###....

There is something I heard that the frame geo changes some if the bike was originally speced for F1 and you want to put a non F1 fork on. Dave or Kelly can add more to that. (if it is correct).

The ti and Steel bikes are still my all time favorite rides....... We have never been so lucky to have so many offerings as KIRK, SACHS, GOODRICH, MARIPOSA,and the CDA from SEROTTA>

As Smiley has said often about how great the CDA is to ride.....I could not agree more....just wished it had lugs or filet. (but then it would not be the good buy it is.....)

Keith A
01-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Serotta won't have any specific information on a frame of this age. I know as I have inquired about my '96/'97 Legend Ti. I do have all of the standard geometry specs from a frame of that age. If you post the serial number I can tell you if this was built before or after mine.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the F1 became available in '96.

Hardlyrob
01-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Does the top tube say "Legend Ti" or just "Ti"? In the mid 90's it was just "Ti" (assuming the paint is original). Also are there down tube bosses, or cable stops on the head tube? The cable stops are later - prolly 1999 or so.

I agree with Pete - the Ti originally came with a Kenesis fork. The F1 was later.

HTH

Rob

NateM
01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
I bought mine in the fall of 95,stock frame with a Time Equipe fork.I dont know what you would have gotten if you didnt specify a fork. I think the Kestrel EMS was also available,as well as Kinesis alum.F1 came out the next year,I have one of the early ones. It now wears a custom Kirk steel fork in winter that allows larger tires and fender,heavy but nice.Post your serial # and we will figure out your frames age.

93LegendTG
01-31-2007, 03:18 PM
I have a '93 catalogue and the Legend Ti is pictured with a red steel fork. The narative reads, "A choice of forks, steel or aluminum, is optional."

Grant McLean
01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
I was wondering if the 1994/1995 Legend Ti orginally came with the Serotta F1 carbon fork or was it steel? Also, I suspect my frame is 1994 or 1995 is there a way to tell what year it is?

Legends came with Kestral forks in the early days too. ('93-94 ish)

The seat collar style and drop outs is a great way to tell the age of a frame.

The '93-94 frames Ti Legends have welded on 'ears' for the seatpost bolt,
not a seperate collar. I think '96 was the first year the legend had a seperate
alumnium seat collar. The rear drop outs in '94 were the older style,
without the slots, by '96 they were changed to the style 3D more like
they are now. The photo you posted looks to not have a seperate seat
post collar, I'm pretty sure that makes it a '95.

I have a '97 legend, it has both the newer drop outs, and the seperate
seat collar.

g

kestrel
01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
My '94 Ti came with the Kestrel fork and Legend Ti on the top tube.

Bill Bove
01-31-2007, 07:52 PM
My '94 Legend Ti came with a Kinisis Al fork and a seperate Ti collar.

Grant McLean
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
I pulled my Serotta catalogs from back in the day to refresh my failing memory.

There are some interesting ponts.
F1 fork was introduced in the 1995 catalog,
but later catalogs with the company timeline
say the F1 fork came out in 1996. (?)

Legend Ti frame details:
'93 + '94 has seatpost bolt 'ears'
'95 shows a nice ti cast seperate seat collar
'96 show the Legend with an aluminum seat collar

My Legend Ti is a '98 model. Now that I look at my order form,
I got it in February, and when it arrived, it was the first time I had
seen the new '3D' style drop outs.

g

Marcusaurelius
02-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks for all the information. I think it's a 1995 model.