PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset for Soma Fogcutter

bobin2
07-21-2020, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking of finally making the move to a disc brake bike this winter and am looking to build up a Soma Fogcutter. I'm totally new to disc brakes and the website says the FC has International disc mounts - so need help with what hubs will match up correctly. I'd like to find a used or new wheelset deal some time between now and xmas so I don't have to lay down the all the $ at once.

I've had good luck with H+Son and HED so I'm looking for the Hydra or Begium Plus rims... but just not sure about the correct hubs...

Smitty2k1
07-21-2020, 02:29 PM
Fog Cutter is quick release not thru axle. I prefer centerlock discs over 6 bolt, but it's really a toss up.

The IS refers to the mounts on the bike - you need to know that for when you buy brake calipers, but they don't matter for wheels/hubs.

I was looking at a Fog Cutter last year and found that Velomine had some awesome wheelsets for a good price if you want H Plus Son rims. Either paired with Shimano 505 hubs (105 level) for about $200 or with Sram 900 hubs (convertible) for closer to $400.

sonicCows
07-21-2020, 03:38 PM

bobin2
07-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the tips on Velomine. These look good. (https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4243) SRAM 900 hubs look ok?

charliedid
07-22-2020, 03:39 PM
Also remember you can run 700x38 or 650x42 wheels if you like.

bobin2
07-22-2020, 03:42 PM
Ok, I'm looking at a 105 Groupset for this bike that comes with "R7070 Flat Mount Disc Calipers" ... I can get this type of an flat to is adapter right (https://www.amazon.com/Front-Adaptor-Formula-Shimano-Colors/dp/B00QZDBHJE)?

The thing I love about building up a bike is that I can buy this stuff over time although I wonder in the end if going to my LBS would be about the same.

charliedid
07-22-2020, 05:20 PM
Ok, I'm looking at a 105 Groupset for this bike that comes with "R7070 Flat Mount Disc Calipers" ... I can get this type of an flat to is adapter right (https://www.amazon.com/Front-Adaptor-Formula-Shimano-Colors/dp/B00QZDBHJE)?

The thing I love about building up a bike is that I can buy this stuff over time although I wonder in the end if going to my LBS would be about the same.

Working with a good shop can save a lot of time and minimize any compatibility issues that you may not think of like the brake adapters, routing issues etc. They should also professionally prep the frame for you, facing and cleaning threads, including the brake mounts which makes a huge difference IMO.

There is quite a bit of value in that if you are unprepared to do everything yourself and you will end up with a safe and well functioning/built bike.

I've seen so many people dive in thinking they would save a buck and buy the wrong BB or crank or whatever it is.

Prepping that frame is paramount and you can obviously just bring the frame in to have that done and hang all the parts yourself if capable. That said a good shop wants those parts on hand to make sure everything sets up right so they can guarantee the work they provide.

Smitty2k1
07-23-2020, 07:33 AM
Yeah those Hydras with the SRAM 900 look great if you want the convertible hubs!