PDA

View Full Version : Save My Bicycle - Help! Bottom Bracket Cup Stuck

19wisconsin64
07-21-2020, 11:29 AM
EDIT: SAVED!! (SEE PHOTO DOWN LATER ON THIS POST)

My Steel Davidson bicycle has one cup that is not coming out. It's my favorite bicycle of all time. Help.

I have tried to have it removed with a highly respected local mechanic, but it did not work. Frustrated, I have been trying myself. First with the proper tools, then (WARNING, THE FOLLOWING PICTURES AND DESCRIPTION ARE HIGHLY GRAPHIC IN NATURE) took to using a power drill and hack saw. I have sinned, and there may be no forgiveness-this is understood. My head is bowed.

There is a stainless steel ball cup in the bottom bracket than might be able to be punched out, then someone with a small Dremel and more patience than me can drill out. Not sure. Not sure of anything anymore, other than the bicycle needs more help than I can give it.

Willing to drive the frame 100 miles from the NYC (am located now in Greenwich, CT) and pay to someone who can help.

Help. Please. Thank you.

David Tollefson
07-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Italian threads?

BobbyJones
07-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Silly question- Have you tried any liquid penetrants yet?

Even though you worked with a respected local mechanic, it may have been more time / work / risk than wanted. The time part being liquid penetrants and mild heat over and over again.

Either way, I wish you luck. I've felt this frustration before!

Latestart
07-21-2020, 11:43 AM
I had this same problem with a Serotta 5 years back.

Was solved with the help of a friend, doubt it would have been cost effective otherwise.

We put it in a piece of machinery and *carefully* removed the metal until we were a few 100ths from the threads.. Then picked the threads clean by hand and and refreshed the threads.

It took us about 2-3 hours and was tedious but it worked and I have that bike on the rack and use it regularly, so it is possible. There are a number of machinist on this board, I am sure one of them can comment in more technical depth.

John

zmudshark
07-21-2020, 11:48 AM
You are turning in the right direction? It is reverse threaded, Lefty-tighty, righty-loosy.

Try the Sheldon Brown method:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

oldguy00
07-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Far from an expert, but my thought would be to have someone cut long horizontal slots across it, then they could put a flat head tool into a vice, maybe like the end of a chisel, then lower the BB/bike onto it using the bike as a lever to turn it? Maybe spray some PB blaster into it first...

unterhausen
07-21-2020, 11:51 AM
I used the Sheldon method on a bb cup that hadn't been removed since 1985. I used my impact wrench. Didn't think it was going to work and then it let go.

raven
07-21-2020, 11:58 AM
https://youtu.be/P9oIUmdI5JU?t=206

.RJ
07-21-2020, 12:56 PM
Find a machine shop. Either they can machine out the existing cups, or, possibly, tack weld something into the cups and turn them out.

19wisconsin64
07-21-2020, 12:56 PM
Thank you for posting this video! This method seems to work well, but I don't have any of those tools or parts. I'd be willing to pay someone for the parts plus $200. Or parts cost plus vintage Campagnolo parts in trade.

AngryScientist
07-21-2020, 01:02 PM
That's an interesting video and concept!

I'm making zero guarantees, but i'm sure in the garage i have a bolt, short length of steel pipe and some washers. I also have a 1/2 drive electric impact gun. if you want to bring over a 6 pack of beer and a sense of humor - we can give this method a whirl.

Nick in Nutley, NJ.

charliedid
07-21-2020, 01:15 PM
https://youtu.be/P9oIUmdI5JU?t=206

Slick

Wattvagen
07-21-2020, 01:19 PM
that is pretty clever, and makes sense. i bet it will work for the OP if an impact driver is employed. keep us posted!

C40_guy
07-21-2020, 01:22 PM
That's an interesting video and concept!

Yes, elegant in a BFH sort of way!

:)

Gsinill
07-21-2020, 01:22 PM
All you need is a hacksaw:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1458042&postcount=53

Just need to be careful to not cut into the threading which actually sounds harder than it is.

(Full thread here (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=140089&highlight=bottom+bracket&page=4))

ultraman6970
07-21-2020, 01:27 PM
19wisconsin64 what you need to get or google is the method using a big bolt... as for the tools u dont need an impact wrench, all you need is a big socket and adjustable wrench that goes at the other side... and a big a$$$$$ metal tube.

They sold one of those like bolt extractors years ago, i have one and they work quite well.

What I havent heard from you is if the BB is italian, from the bike brand probably is not but sometimes if the BB is english and the threads went south the BB can be fixed turning it into italian threaded.

IS that BB itlaian or english???

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/images/bbtool-bolt.jpg

Tz779
07-21-2020, 03:28 PM
also try heating the fixed cup; the expansion and contraction of the metal will help break the rust from the threads. sometimes.

19wisconsin64
07-21-2020, 04:07 PM
For the person who asked what threading it is, it's English. I would have answered sooner but I had to feed my one and a half year old son.

Rubber gloves, nudity, ear protection, and a lot of intense psychological techniques were involved. If I can feed that beast, the bottom bracket should be a piece of cake!

A fellow forum member has offered help. This place is the best! Thanks Paceline!

schwa86
07-21-2020, 05:39 PM
I sort of want a frozen bottom bracket just to try this :banana:

FriarQuade
07-21-2020, 08:30 PM
I've removed a few of those that other people gave up on. If you want to send it to BendOR I could likely save it.

unterhausen
07-21-2020, 09:33 PM
I'm making zero guarantees, but i'm sure in the garage i have a bolt, short length of steel pipe and some washers. I also have a 1/2 drive electric impact gun.
If you use an impact wrench, you don't need the pipe. Just enough washers so that the nut doesn't run out of threads. And the nut can be on the outside, which might be more convenient. He's wrong about swapping the bolt end for end for Italian. Going to have to get a left hand threaded bolt/nut for that.

The reason the Sheldon method works is that the bolt tightens up in the same direction that the cup loosens.

CMiller
07-21-2020, 09:43 PM
I’ve done the Sheldon method before and it saved the day! Combine with penetrates and heat/cold for extra help.

cinema
07-21-2020, 09:50 PM
great thread good info for me if it ever comes to this. really makes me appreciate press fit despite not having any pf bikes right now. used to absolutely hate them but after an afternoon learning how to pull/press them im a fan

Louis
07-21-2020, 09:52 PM
He's wrong about swapping the bolt end for end for Italian. Going to have to get a left hand threaded bolt/nut for that.

I was thinking the same thing. Head of bolt, or nut, you tighten either one the same way.

I have to believe that LH threaded bolts are pretty rare, but I bet McMaster-Carr has them, since they have just about everything else in the world.

Edit: As I suspected, McMaster-Carr has a good selection of L/H threaded bolts, but you do pay a premium for them:

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/hex-head-screws/thread-direction~left-hand/

pbarry
07-21-2020, 09:54 PM
Have you sprayed the inside of the BB/cup interface with PB Blaster or other penetrant and let it sit, cup side fown? Minimum, overnight; a day or two with more applications of penetrant is better.

Old School
07-21-2020, 10:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Head of bolt, or nut, you tighten either one the same way.

I have to believe that LH threaded bolts are pretty rare, but I bet McMaster-Carr has them, since they have just about everything else in the world.

Edit: As I suspected, McMaster-Carr has a good selection of L/H threaded bolts, but you do pay a premium for them:

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/hex-head-screws/thread-direction~left-hand/

The video is correct. the reason you swap the bolt over to the NDS, is so you're tightening against the pipe and turning the bolt rather than stripping the nut.

Louis
07-21-2020, 10:09 PM
The video is correct. the reason you swap the bolt over to the NDS, is so you're tightening against the pipe and turning the bolt rather than stripping the nut.

I stand corrected. : )

No need for LH threaded bolt.

tctyres
07-21-2020, 10:32 PM
Where are you in NYC? I'm in upper Manhattan and made a Sheldon tool a long time ago. I'm happy to help you out.

unterhausen
07-21-2020, 10:39 PM
Actually, I was wrong (sorta) about the LHS thread. On a stuck Italian fixed cup, you can drive a RHS thread from the opposite side of the bike. But it doesn't matter if you drive the nut or bolt, so swapping ends like the video says doesn't change anything.

I used a 5/8" bolt. I have a pretty good air impact wrench and didn't strip the threads and I don't see that happening. Bolts and nuts strip equally well driving either end, in my experience.

Louis
07-21-2020, 10:46 PM
And one benefit of stripping the nut is that they're cheaper to replace...

But if you have too many bolt threads sticking out of the nut, sometimes your socket can get a better purchase on the head.

AngryScientist
07-22-2020, 06:33 AM
we're going to get this sucker out or die trying!

haha. well hopefully no one will die.

AngryScientist
07-22-2020, 07:21 PM
Final Score:

Effed Bottom Bracket: 0

Angry: 1

:banana:

C40_guy
07-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Final Score:

:banana:

Sweet! Well done!

commonguy001
07-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Awesome! :banana:

charliedid
07-22-2020, 07:31 PM
Nice

No video or pics of what you did?

Louis
07-22-2020, 07:31 PM
Final Score:

What method(s) did you try, and what finally worked?

19wisconsin64
07-22-2020, 08:31 PM
The Davidson is saved!!! Thank you so much!!

(see photo)

saab2000
07-22-2020, 08:35 PM
Edit: Disregard. Happy for a happy ending.

ColonelJLloyd
07-22-2020, 08:37 PM
Nailed it.

CMiller
07-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Success! Now mount the messed up cup to a piece of wood and use it as a bottle opener.

tuxbailey
07-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Nice. How much alcohol was consumed through this process?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
07-23-2020, 07:54 AM
What method(s) did you try, and what finally worked?

a modified version of the Sheldon method and a 1/2" impact wrench made short work of the job. I had some old boat trailer hardware laying on my workbench and a short section of black pipe.

when the impact wrench comes knockin' - threads get moving.

I had never actually seen a davidson in person before, and was thoroughly impressed at the build quality and overall wow factor at this bike. I would love to own one someday. really nice. glad the BB got sorted on this one and it can see some more road miles!

Onno
07-23-2020, 08:10 AM
What a great thread to read to lift one's spirits in these effed up times! Thanks all!

ColonelJLloyd
07-23-2020, 08:11 AM
Nice. How much alcohol was consumed through this process?

Judging by the results, the correct amount.

Marvinlungwitz
07-23-2020, 08:26 AM

fmradio516
07-23-2020, 09:54 AM
so awesome. what impact wrench do you have? Been thinking of just getting a corded one for random automotive stuff.