PDA

View Full Version : Anybody lifting weights?

CNY rider
07-21-2020, 07:18 AM
I'm looking to start a simple program.....just baby steps.
The background: I have no experience with lifting weights.
I recently turned 50.
I have been riding our tandem more with the kids this year, and also doing some mountain biking. Both require lots of leg torque. I feel like I am flying on my regular road bike after spending a few rides over a week on the tandem or the MTB. Some of it is probably psychological but I think it helps build muscle power.

Second, on a recent hiking trip, I wasn't totally happy with my leg strength. Climbing up ledges, putting weight on the ball of one foot with the knee flexed 90 degrees and pushing your whole body up....I wasn't happy with how I did on that.

So I thought I might add some weight lifting to the mix and see if it helps.
We have a great gym nearby, we have a family membership but it's closed until Labor Day and I don't like gyms to begin with so that's not going to be a help.

I don't have a ton of time to invest in this either. I already stretch 7 days a week for 15-20 minutes. Thinking I could add in 20 minutes of work with weights 3 times a week.
Where to even begin? Happy to have book or website references or personal advice.
Thanks.

bigbill
07-21-2020, 07:46 AM
I do a boot camp class (outside for now) three times a week. It is an hour-long and starts with 10 minutes of stretching. We use kettlebells and dumbells with a lot of lunges, squats, core, and upper body. I'm still a fatass but I have amazing core strength.

Divebomb
07-21-2020, 07:48 AM
I’ve been riding most of my life, and have a good stretching regimen like you, but hadn’t done much with weights. Being a DIY guy first, I have been pleased with the direction in a book called “Push, Pull, Swing” which focuses on minimal equipment (dumbbells, kettle bells, and/or sandbag). This covers the 3 main motions of weight training and creates a stronger body overall. There are some “packaged” workouts to get you started. Squats, lunges, woodchops, presses, etc. You can do a set of adjustable dumbbells. You have to be careful to avoid injury and ensure proper form, which leads me to my next point...

To maximize benefit, and reduce the risk of injury/overuse a personal trainer is the way to go to - even if just to get you started. Or at least getting some advice from a trainer on proper equipment use. I find that beyond the “basic” programs, I find it tedious to put together/follow a program that varies enough to provide the benefits to the rest of your body.

There’s a ton of stuff on YouTube, but you will quickly get on the “American Meathead list” with ads and videos targeting your “gains” and peddling all manner of supplements from guys wearing tank tops.

I’ll follow to see what others have learned. Good luck getting “swole.”

Kyle h
07-21-2020, 07:48 AM
I stopped lifting when the gyms closed and that coupled with bumping up my riding mileage led to some knee pain. I’ve since resumed lifting, albeit at home, and it’s resolved my pain.

If you don’t want to go to a gym there are an immense amount of things you can still do without investing a ton in Equipment. I would buy a stability ball, a bosh ball, a pack of resistance bands and a small set of kettle bells.

Here’s my routine, I pick a handful of these and do them 2-3x a week, always doing some core

Squats in inverted bosu (or squat with kettle bell holds)
Lunges into bosu fwd and lateral (Or walking lunges holding weights)
Monster walks/side steps
Planks (normal and side)
Dead bug focusing on keeping low back flat
Push ups
Single leg dead lift
Bridge with hamstring curl on stability ball
Runners step up with focus on controlled lowering (I use an 18” high retaining wall as my step)
Single leg balance
Prone over stability ball Y/T/Row focusing on squeezing shoulder blades at the top and avoiding shoulder elevation
Paloff press with band

benb
07-21-2020, 08:25 AM
50 years old with no experience lifting weights I would be really careful.

Don't jump into anything like HIIT, Crossfit, Olympic lifts, maybe even Kettlebells. Probably don't jump into anything like 5x5.

A lot of the lifts are technique/skills you need to learn first. Gotta be careful to avoid getting hurt early on, and I'd assume you're lifting alone at home which makes it harder.

I would maybe start with bodyweight exercises first. They can mess you up pretty well of course, but they can help you start to get the form down.

I would maybe start with something like what I've been doing lately as maintenance..

Get some rings or TRX straps
Do stuff like Pushups, Squats with no weight, lunges, pull ups, lower the straps/rings and do diagonal or horizontal rows depending on what you can.

Work on form, you'll probably have to watch videos, etc..

Weights aren't biking.. overdo it with bad form and you will be way more sore for days and days in a way that is really annoying. Even with good form & experience a set of hard squats makes it hard to put out any power on the bike for days and days.

After a while you can start looking at a bench, dumbells, etc.. personally if I'm alone at home with no spotter I prefer dumbbells, but they get limiting pretty quick for lower body stuff.

tuxbailey
07-21-2020, 08:32 AM
I am not going to be back into the gym any time soon and I plan to start with this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Not sure if it is right for everyone but it is progressive so you can start with an easier exercise and go from there.

CNY rider
07-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Don't jump into anything like HIIT, Crossfit, Olympic lifts, maybe even Kettlebells. Probably don't jump into anything like 5x5.

A lot of the lifts are technique/skills you need to learn first. Gotta be careful to avoid getting hurt early on, and I'd assume you're lifting alone at home which makes it harder.

I would maybe start with bodyweight exercises first. They can mess you up pretty well of course, but they can help you start to get the form down.

I would maybe start with something like what I've been doing lately as maintenance..

Do stuff like Pushups, Squats with no weight, lunges, pull ups, lower the straps/rings and do diagonal or horizontal rows depending on what you can.

Weights aren't biking.. overdo it with bad form and you will be way more sore for days and days in a way that is really annoying. Even with good form & experience a set of hard squats makes it hard to put out any power on the bike for days and days.

After a while you can start looking at a bench, dumbells, etc.. personally if I'm alone at home with no spotter I prefer dumbbells, but they get limiting pretty quick for lower body stuff.

I hear you.
Totally open to paying a personal trainer to get me started safely and on the right path. I'm just not a gym guy.

benb
07-21-2020, 08:59 AM
Totally understandable not to be a gym guy right now!

Getting sick will "wreck your gains bro!".

;)

For some of this stuff you could probably meet outside with a trainer.

Garage/warehouse style gym where the doors open up to the outside is probably pretty safe right now.

It's too hard to know at 50 without previous experience but some people pack on muscle easier than others early in life... I am not one of those people, my body wants to look like a cyclist not a body builder. Not sure if there's any correlation but weight training has always seriously messed me up... I started lifting at 13 years old and it has pretty much always left me a mess for a day or two whereas cycling I always had really fast recovery in comparison. Weight training messes me up 10:1 compared to cycling and always has.

teleguy57
07-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Since your open to a personal trainer, page @xxtwindad here, or PM him for some conversation.

Big fan of Dan John for overall strength training (and living) advice. http://danjohn.net/ He had a great weekly newsletter that's free.

Also check out the strength training info on TrainerRoad. (https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/coach-chads-strength-training-recommendations-for-cyclists/17289) Coach Chad there had been a strength and conditioning coach before moving more fully into the cycling world.

And of course Pavel and kettlebells!

fignon's barber
07-21-2020, 09:23 AM
I'm a hockey guy. Love the gym. Even at 58, I like to go into the "dingy back room" of the gym and lift with the 280 pound tattooed-head-to-toe body builder types. We're located in a covid hotspot, so the gym is out. I just invested in a pair of adjustable dumbbells and a nice bench. With these purchases, I can pretty much cover everything I need. Plenty of excellent workout programs on youtube.

old_fat_and_slow
07-21-2020, 09:34 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

This ^

For a beginner, and if your primary goal is legs, then start with bodyweight exercises only and progress from there. After you get comfortable with bodyweight exercises, you can move on to dumb bells, kettle bells, and finally full bar exercises.

For arms and upper body, the advice given above about dumb bells and a bench is solid. You can do almost anything with just those items.

cgates66
07-21-2020, 09:46 AM
A few notes:
1) Don't lift legs the day before a ride;
2) Squat, deadlift, bench and pull-ups alone are enough to start with;
3) You only really "need" to lift about twice a week, although everyone's physiology is different and changes as your body evolves;
4) To build muscle, 40 - 60 reps for a given exercise is ideal - start with less, but that's the sweet spot (5x8 for example) - it sucks, but that's the truth;
5) Watch your joints - you're 50! - so a little less weight and a couple more reps are a good idea;
6) You will be insanely sore for days after your first few workouts - listen to your body - lifting breaks you down, rest builds you up - it should be hard, but shouldn't feel like an injury;
7) Form and effort are far more important than numbers - nobody cares how much you can bench anymore;
8) Sleeping and eating enough are critical - you will be gaining some weight if you are doing this right (not fat, but muscle);
9) You can get great results with just calisthenics (e.g., P90X-type stuff, and a bunch of others), but it takes longer (longer workouts, more frequent workouts are required do to the lack of load).

And that's about it. I personally don't do ballistic stuff like cleans anymore due to injury risk, and overhead press can put a lot of pressure on your shoulder cartilage, but if you can do it, it's a great exercise.

As others have said, many programs are out there. "Starting Strength" 100% will work (as long as you avoid the insane dietary advice and cult-like nonsense around weight, low-bar squats etc. - weightlifting enthusiasts in their way are just as obsessive as cycling types).

Oh - and be careful with some of the physiques you see. The best ones are not likely achieved without hormone injections of one sort or another. Social media is the devil in more ways than one.

benb
07-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Make sure you be careful with body weight exercises too.

They do tend to be self limiting but keep in mind doing a pullup is near the equivalent of sitting down at a pull down machine in the gym as a noob and putting the pin in at your bodyweight.

Pullups, dips, etc.. are very high intensity exercises for us cyclists just jumping in after a while of neglect.

Even pushups you can give yourself elbow tendonitis if you don't follow good form.

Squats shouldn't be too bad for a cyclist IMO. You ought to be pretty functional & strong there and most of us are pretty light too which makes the exercise easier.

dgauthier
07-21-2020, 10:02 AM
I added weight lifting to my cycling a little over 15 years ago. I discovered improving upper body strength really helps your riding! It's especially noticeable with out of the saddle climbing, but everything is improved.

Most experienced weight lifters swear by free weights, so I went that route. With dumbbells, an incline bench, and a book of dumbbell exercise routines you're all set. I like spin lock dumbbell handles, as the threads ensure the plates don't slide off and hit you in the face. With eight 10 pound plates, four 5 pound plates, four 2 1/2 pound plates, and four 1 1/4 pound plates, I have every weight (including handles) from 5 pounds to 60 pounds in 2.5 pound increments. Total cost for dumbbells 15 years ago: $104. I think the bench was $169, and the book was six bucks.

You can do leg workouts like squats and calf raises while holding the dumbbells, so they really give a total body workout. The only thing you can't get are pulldown movements -- chinups will help there. Also, a barbell is better for really heavy weights, but I don't want to be huge, so I don't miss it.

makoti
07-21-2020, 10:21 AM
Consider resistance bands, if you plan to workout at home. I just got & like the Bodylastics set (there are several, different resistance packages).You use them differently than weights, slower motions to make use of the resistance. The only pain is swapping between exercises. It takes a bit of moving bands & grips, but if you plan it out, it can be minimized.

XXtwindad
07-21-2020, 10:25 AM

I would DEFINITELY maybe start with bodyweight exercises first. They can mess you up pretty well of course, but they can help you start to get the form down.

These are the two most important points. With a slight edit. Also, it's important to note that some kind of functional strength/resistance training regimen is imperative as you age, because you lose bone density. I'm a big fan of building a house from the "inside out" rather than vice versa. Show muscles have no functional benefit and are a poor substitute for core strength.

XXtwindad
07-21-2020, 10:27 AM
Since your open to a personal trainer, page @xxtwindad here, or PM him for some conversation.

Big fan of Dan John for overall strength training (and living) advice. http://danjohn.net/ He had a great weekly newsletter that's free.

Also check out the strength training info on TrainerRoad. (https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/coach-chads-strength-training-recommendations-for-cyclists/17289) Coach Chad there had been a strength and conditioning coach before moving more fully into the cycling world.

And of course Pavel and kettlebells!

Hey thanks for the shout out! The "Alliance Club" membership has its benefits :)

Hilltopperny
07-21-2020, 11:12 AM
I used to lift frequently when I was in my teens and into my 20’s. Best advice I can give is to start light and ease into it. I am sure there are lots of knowledgeable folks on here and I would defer to them, but basics would be some squats, bicep curls and bench presses.

I like using my own body weight these days, so push ups, sit ups, pull ups, planks, hip raises and dips can all be done with minimal to no equipment and will help build strength. I am in the process of clearing space in order to get back into a routine.

I also like having a heavy bag and speed bag to blow off some steam and focus on hand eye coordination. I find it also gets the blood flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpediemracing
07-21-2020, 11:40 AM
Often it's not the legs that need help. You can almost always use gearing to increase effective leverage. You'll want to develop your aerobic system more. Yes, power helps, especially in a low rpm situation (like being in your bottom gear on a steep hill on the tandem), but if you're aerobically more fit you'll be able to do more work.

I'm not a scientific trainer, meaning I don't generally (99% of the time) go out on the bike to do intervals and whatnot.

However I'd like to be stronger, with specific cycling goals in mind. I also have a fragile back that is much better when I have good core strength.

So for me I need something with no planning, easy to do, fit in a busy schedule, etc.

I have a few "stations" at home.

1. Push up bars in the living room. I'll randomly do 10 or 15 pushups. Once I do a few days of the I can do 15-25 at a time. If I decide to "do" pushups I'll do 3x15 or 2x25, 45-50 push ups. Pushups get your chest, triceps, core (as long as you maintain good form). Push up bars really encourage good form by allowing your wrists to stay straight and allowing you to dip "below" your hands. I suppose technically I should have my feet on something 5-6 inches tall, but like I said, easy and simple. On an aside when I go to my brother's and do pushups on the floor there isn't a huge difference except my wrists are now bent at 90 deg.

2. Squats. I generally do this as the shower warms up. I can do 25-50+ body weight squats (takes maybe 35 seconds for 25-30?) and it's actually tiring in a fatigue way. I have a couple dumbbells there too and sometimes lift a 10 lbs weight forward as I do a squat. Easy, no thinking, and I do this maybe 2/3 of the time I take a shower.

(Because I got flak for this elsewhere, I'll point out that for some reason my shower is not code, and flows only about 1 gal/min. It's less than a high flowing faucet. A tub will flow about 4-7 gal/min, a normal shower 2 gal? Even after I'm done with 30 or 50 squats the water will be luke warm, and this particular bathroom is situated directly over the hot water heater in the basement.)

3. Walk up stairs 2 at a time. I started doing this a long time ago. It's sort of like a lunge but going uphill.

That's it. I don't have something for lats but a pull up bar would be good. I tried to mount a set of bars on the above a doorway (so hang on the drops to do pull ups) but never got it to work to my satisfaction.

I did get (free off craigslist, just before pandemic) a very basic home gym but after trying the different positions it's really only good for a fake bench, chest flys, and abdominal pull-downs.

I also carry my now-55-60 lbs son around. If we're horsing around I'll do piggy back squats with him on my back.

XXtwindad
07-21-2020, 11:45 AM
Often it's not the legs that need help. You can almost always use gearing to increase effective leverage. You'll want to develop your aerobic system more. Yes, power helps, especially in a low rpm situation (like being in your bottom gear on a steep hill on the tandem), but if you're aerobically more fit you'll be able to do more work.

I'm not a scientific trainer, meaning I don't generally (99% of the time) go out on the bike to do intervals and whatnot.

However I'd like to be stronger, with specific cycling goals in mind. I also have a fragile back that is much better when I have good core strength.

So for me I need something with no planning, easy to do, fit in a busy schedule, etc.

I have a few "stations" at home.

1. Push up bars in the living room. I'll randomly do 10 or 15 pushups. Once I do a few days of the I can do 15-25 at a time. If I decide to "do" pushups I'll do 3x15 or 2x25, 45-50 push ups. Pushups get your chest, triceps, core (as long as you maintain good form). Push up bars really encourage good form by allowing your wrists to stay straight and allowing you to dip "below" your hands. I suppose technically I should have my feet on something 5-6 inches tall, but like I said, easy and simple. On an aside when I go to my brother's and do pushups on the floor there isn't a huge difference except my wrists are now bent at 90 deg.

2. Squats. I generally do this as the shower warms up. I can do 25-50+ body weight squats (takes maybe 35 seconds for 25-30?) and it's actually tiring in a fatigue way. I have a couple dumbbells there too and sometimes lift a 10 lbs weight forward as I do a squat. Easy, no thinking, and I do this maybe 2/3 of the time I take a shower.

(Because I got flak for this elsewhere, I'll point out that for some reason my shower is not code, and flows only about 1 gal/min. It's less than a high flowing faucet. A tub will flow about 4-7 gal/min, a normal shower 2 gal? Even after I'm done with 30 or 50 squats the water will be luke warm, and this particular bathroom is situated directly over the hot water heater in the basement.)

3. Walk up stairs 2 at a time. I started doing this a long time ago. It's sort of like a lunge but going uphill.

That's it. I don't have something for lats but a pull up bar would be good. I tried to mount a set of bars on the above a doorway (so hang on the drops to do pull ups) but never got it to work to my satisfaction.

I did get (free off craigslist, just before pandemic) a very basic home gym but after trying the different positions it's really only good for a fake bench, chest flys, and abdominal pull-downs.

I also carry my now-55-60 lbs son around. If we're horsing around I'll do piggy back squats with him on my back.

Man, I could go on and on about push-ups. One of the three "Holy Triumvirates" on body weight movements, along with squats and planks. The problem is that so many people do them incorrectly, utilizing their triceps and deltoids instead of their core. Use your ass and abs!!! Nothing less aesthetically pleasing (besides a really sloping top tube) than some dude trying to "blow out" his triceps by gunning out 40 or so push-ups. Back is sagging, chest half-way down. What a mess.

CNY rider
07-21-2020, 12:01 PM
Man, I could go on and on about push-ups. One of the three "Holy Triumvirates" on body weight movements, along with squats and planks. The problem is that so many people do them incorrectly, utilizing their triceps and deltoids instead of their core. Use your ass and abs!!! Nothing less aesthetically pleasing (besides a really sloping top tube) than some dude trying to "blow out" his triceps by gunning out 40 or so push-ups. Back is sagging, chest half-way down. What a mess.

Give me a visual here.
My stretching goes in a 4 day cycle and already includes push-ups on 1 and 3.
On day 1 I do 25 push-ups with arms wider than shoulders, and 25 with arms narrow, thumbs a few inches apart.
On day 3 I do 30 “regular” pushups, arms directly under shoulders.

I try to have my body in a straight line from shoulders to toes.
Is that how it should look?

XXtwindad
07-21-2020, 12:05 PM
Give me a visual here.
My stretching goes in a 4 day cycle and already includes push-ups on 1 and 3.
On day 1 I do 25 push-ups with arms wider than shoulders, and 25 with arms narrow, thumbs a few inches apart.
On day 3 I do 30 “regular” pushups, arms directly under shoulders.

I try to have my body in a straight line from shoulders to toes.
Is that how it should look?

Yes. The wider your arms are, the more your core is involved, as it should be. The so-called "diamond push-ups" really emphasize your triceps, which is not a very functional approach. Basically, what it boils down to is this: we are all going to get old. If we're lucky. You should be able to pick your butt up off the floor is you fall. That's why balance and functional strength are so important. The last thing you want to do when you're elderly is bust a hip. That's a slippery slope....

stephenmarklay
07-22-2020, 08:16 AM
I have a lot of gym experience and encourage you to lift. I am 51 and gaining muscle is a top priority because at some point it is all down hill and I want my hill to be just a bit taller to start.

My advice is don’t beat yourself up. Trendy workout routines have to be extreme to get attention and outdo the next.

My take is consistency. Don’t go in and burn all your matches. One workout is not going to get you to the finish line. I am also no longer using heavy weights most of the time. Especially for legs.

A favorite way to work legs is 5 sets of 20 reps on squats will a little less rest than you would like. There is a lot of carry over with this type of training. But is is not easy at all if you choose a weight that makes set 3-5 difficult to perform. I have even started playing with blood flow restricted training for legs. This is perhaps an advanced way to train but it allows lighter weights which has been nice with Covid and training at home.

Trainers… Pick a good one. Not someone that will count your reps while blood is coming out of your ears.

My last piece of advice is to do some walking and preferably on a trail with hills. It is in my opinion a good way to mix things up while working muscles that are neglected cycling. This can turn into a muscle building activity as well. Running up the hills is easy on the body but a great workout. You can also add weight to a pack which builds all kinds of endurance.