PDA

View Full Version : White Label

jpw
07-20-2020, 03:53 PM
Is white label a thing with small frame builders, or do they all build exclusively for their own name on the frame?

Wattvagen
07-20-2020, 04:02 PM
i have no idea what we're talking about here?

context? link? any other clues?

.RJ
07-20-2020, 04:08 PM
Is white label a thing with small frame builders, or do they all build exclusively for their own name on the frame?

Its basically a thing for nearly all bike companies. Very few of them design their own carbon layups.

reuben
07-20-2020, 04:11 PM
I'm not a whiskey drinker, but I thought Johnny Walker only came in Black and Red.

jpw
07-20-2020, 04:12 PM
i have no idea what we're talking about here?

context? link? any other clues?

I have my brand name on a frame they build for me, and not their name. Perhaps their name positioned discreetly on the frame, say on the chain stay, but not on the down tube or the head tube. Do any small builders do that sort of thing?

jpw
07-20-2020, 04:29 PM
Its basically a thing for nearly all bike companies. Very few of them design their own carbon layups.

Thanks. I don't mean the bigger offshoring bicycle companies. I mean the small builders who actually have there own workshop and build the frames themselves one at a time. The artisan approach.

Hellgate
07-20-2020, 04:36 PM
Yes. Builders will help each other out from time to time. Ti frames are a good example. Think of it as a designated hitter, re, builder.

Dino Suegiù
07-20-2020, 04:38 PM

I have my brand name on a frame they build for me, and not their name. Perhaps their name positioned discreetly on the frame, say on the chain stay, but not on the down tube or the head tube. Do any small builders do that sort of thing?

Thanks. I don't mean the bigger offshoring bicycle companies. I mean the small builders who actually have there own workshop and build the frames themselves one at a time. The artisan approach.

I'm still not entirely clear on your definition.

You do not mean Giant, building high volume and for many brands, correct?
What about Billato and/or Sarto, on a smaller scale and building for fewer brands?
Or, even smaller, Spectrum titanium while that brand lived, built by Merlin and Seven?
Or, tinier still, some who have only a very few frames built (and self-branded) by outfits such as Waltly, etc?

bfd
07-20-2020, 04:39 PM
I'm not a whiskey drinker, but I thought Johnny Walker only came in Black and Red.

There’s also green, gold, platinum and my favorite blue label...although, I have never tried platinum!

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/UTB8qmrDvYnJXKJkSahGq6xhzFXa4/954403619/UTB8qmrDvYnJXKJkSahGq6xhzFXa4.jpg

Good Luck!

prototoast
07-20-2020, 04:50 PM
Do they all build exclusively under their own name? No.

Do some build exclusively under their own name? Yes.

Is there a comprehensive list of everyone who will to contract building for other brands? No.

Is there a good way to find a builder to build frames for me? Ask around, and pay well.

ColonelJLloyd
07-20-2020, 07:25 PM
I'm not a whiskey drinker...

I am. And I will miss white label greatly.

https://i.postimg.cc/MTC68rKP/white-label.jpg

Carl Strong
07-20-2020, 07:34 PM

Sounds like what I call "private label" or "contract building". When a builder builds for another brand and that brand puts their label on the frame and markets and sells it.

If so the answer is yes. There are a lot of brands that buy from them and a handful of good small builders that build for them. There are also a couple "hired guns" that build only for other brands.

reuben
07-20-2020, 07:45 PM
There’s also green, gold, platinum and my favorite blue label...although, I have never tried platinum!

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/UTB8qmrDvYnJXKJkSahGq6xhzFXa4/954403619/UTB8qmrDvYnJXKJkSahGq6xhzFXa4.jpg

Good Luck!

Wow. That's way too much for this cowboy. Thank goodness I'm not a whiskey drinker.

GOTHBROOKS
07-21-2020, 12:35 AM
i have this minty 1979 white label right here

jpw
07-21-2020, 01:54 AM
I'm still not entirely clear on your definition.

You do not mean Giant, building high volume and for many brands, correct?
What about Billato and/or Sarto, on a smaller scale and building for fewer brands?
Or, even smaller, Spectrum titanium while that brand lived, built by Merlin and Seven?
Or, tinier still, some who have only a very few frames built (and self-branded) by outfits such as Waltly, etc?

Thanks.

A small builder (one man, one woman, maybe a small team) with their own respected name builds a frame that I have my brand name on (ht, dt et.c.), with their name (or diminutive logo mark) positioned discreetly (st, cs, et.c.). Do such frame builders entertain that kind of thing? It wouldn't be an issue to have a frame recognisable by its design and look. Sort of like a 'me by them' presentation. This is not to sell the frame to the market. There's no margin to be squeezed out.

Not Waltly,... if I understand that business model correctly. Also not suitable for other reasons.

fignon's barber
07-21-2020, 05:37 AM
....Like Litespeed did for Eddy Merckx.

pdonk
07-21-2020, 05:45 AM
Simple does this for others, basically a contract, hired gun.

Good Luck!

Is it bad I have all but red and platinum in my collection?