PDA

View Full Version : Best road hubs

reuben
07-20-2020, 03:18 PM
Smooth pavement. Factors include low friction, durability, ease of service, low noise, and any others you care to throw out there.

1) Dura Ace
2) DT Swiss (350?)
3) Chris King (don't like the noise factor, but let's assume I can get over that)
4) Other

Just asking. Thanks.

Ken Robb
07-20-2020, 03:25 PM
You certainly have to include Campy hubs among the best.

zzy
07-20-2020, 03:28 PM
If "low friction, durability, ease of service, low noise" are your priorities, Shimano and Campy loose ball hubs win by a mile.

Matthew
07-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Yup, Shimano and Campy. I wasn't terribly impressed with my King wheels. Noisy obviously, and could never get the play to go away. And felt like they had drag too which is weird since they had play that I couldn't adjust out.

Toddtwenty2
07-20-2020, 03:33 PM
I would like to try Onyx hubs. The lack of freewheel noise sounds (or doesn't sound) pleasant.

Toddykins
07-20-2020, 03:49 PM
Low noise= Onyx

Duende
07-20-2020, 03:51 PM
I’ll take DT-Swiss, White Industries, over Chris King hubs any day of the week. But for me... the top hub are the campy bora’s with ceramic bearings! They come with excellent rims and spokes to boot!

.RJ
07-20-2020, 03:52 PM
Onyx is probably a bit wasted on a road bike, the instant engagement on a mtb is where they'll really shine.

I'd add White Industries onto that list, and leave off anything shimano. Sure they're nice but as a hub to build, I think there are way better options out there, and all the other options can be converted to different axle standards down the line.

eddief
07-20-2020, 03:55 PM
i think oem set was DT Swiss pawl-based hubs. did not give them much of a chance and sold them to get a set of Roll Range wheels. those were loud and had crappy rear engagement. then Ritchey Zeta WCS. fine rollers and great engagement. Now DT Swiss PRC 1450. quiet and they seem to roll really really well...supposedly on 350 internals with 18 tooth ratchets. I LOVE THESE WHEELS.

Wattvagen
07-20-2020, 03:59 PM
For pure road wheels built traditionally:

-Dura -Ace
-DT 180 Ceramic; 54T upgrade.
-White Industries (with a bearing swap to SKF!)
-Campy Record (if you can tolerate 32 hole wheels)

CK would be my #1 choice for foul condition wheels. they, in my experience have the best seals, but they are a little overcomplicated and have more drag than the others.

Industry 9 torch hubs are also very nice, louder than king, but nice. (i like noise!)

Hope hubs are a great more budget friendly option.

bicycletricycle
07-20-2020, 03:59 PM
white industries is my go to. low drag, not too loud, ti freehub body for less notching, made in USA, relatively lightweight, pretty easy to take apart and fix and durable. The only downside for me is the bearings adjustment system which is strange but works good enough for me.

Wattvagen
07-20-2020, 04:00 PM
The only downside for me is the bearings adjustment system which is strange but works good enough for me.

this is where modern DA hubs shine.

Hilltopperny
07-20-2020, 04:34 PM
I am a fan of Campagnolo, White Industries and DT Swiss are probably my favorite for low noise hubs. Not necessarily in that order, but all well
made and serviceable hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Suegiù
07-20-2020, 04:40 PM
Campagnolo Record and White Industries.

kingpin75s
07-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Factors include low friction, durability, ease of service, low noise, and any others you care to throw out there.

To me you are describing a DT 240/350 hub with an 18t ratchet.

Low friction w/18t. Never a single issue with multiple hubs across multiple road, gravel and mountain bikes. No tools to service. No noise when "properly" greased (most of my many DT hubs make no noise but some I have acquired second hand do and just have not looked at the grease differences in detail).

White Industries are a second for me, but as has been stated, not a big fan of the set screw preload adjust.

Spinner
07-20-2020, 05:13 PM
Phil Wood hubs are outstanding. I have them on my Co-Motion tandem. This bike hangs in my garage on a rope/pulley bike lift and whenever I spin the front wheel while the bike is suspended, it always returns to the same position with the valve stem aligning to the top.

verbs4us
07-20-2020, 08:44 PM
Experience with Camp NR and Phil (both from the 1980s) and White T-11s. The Phils still spin smooth but I think the seals back then were tighter/stiffer and they don't roll nearly as long. The Campys roll long, but not smooth--might have to do with the mileage. The T-11s are smoothest and the longest rolling of all. In 6 years I have had to replace the rear bearings twice (the right outboard bearing takes the most beating), but still rolling up front on the originals. If I were doing it all over, would do T-11s again with no hesitation. Quiet, easy to service (if quirky), light, durable. What's not to like?

vincenz
07-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Campy all the way. I've had 40 year old Record hubs spin better than modern junk from Mavic and Zipp.

d_douglas
07-20-2020, 09:08 PM
Agreed about Onyx - they’re amazing hubs. I have a set on my MTB. Not sure if the other factors than noise, but performance is great and they’re silent.

They’re Chris King quality.

bikinchris
07-20-2020, 09:15 PM
My wife's bike has Chris King and they are great.
My own bike has Phil hubs and I like them more. They roll so smooth I am amazed.
Phil makes a lighter weight version too.

madsciencenow
07-20-2020, 09:16 PM
I am a fan of Campagnolo, White Industries and DT Swiss are probably my favorite for low noise hubs. Not necessarily in that order, but all well
made and serviceable hubs.

I vote for these! DA are ok but not being able to use them with a campy cassette is a limiting factor.

If I had to pick I’d choose the WI.

oldpotatoe
07-21-2020, 06:33 AM
Smooth pavement. Factors include low friction, durability, ease of service, low noise, and any others you care to throw out there.

1) Dura Ace
2) DT Swiss (350?)
3) Chris King (don't like the noise factor, but let's assume I can get over that)
4) Other

Just asking. Thanks.

Record
DT
Aivee
shimano
White Industries

martl
07-21-2020, 06:42 AM
Did you know that free-spinning old school Campagnolo Record style has nothing to do with low resistance, but a lot with crappy sealing?
/engineerspoilsport

Big Dan
07-21-2020, 06:47 AM
D/A hubs are the best.
Lost count of how many Campy cones I had to replace.

bicycletricycle
07-21-2020, 07:06 AM
this is where modern DA hubs shine.

Ya, but they have other huge downsides.

Wattvagen
07-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Ya, but they have other huge downsides.

do tell - what are the huge downsides to DA? i have many thousands of trouble free miles on them?

jimoots
07-21-2020, 07:24 AM
Dura Ace or DT240.

Definitely not Chris King. Too fussy. Way too fussy.

makoti
07-21-2020, 07:36 AM
Campy. Old, new, don't matter. Smooth as buttah.
I used to love the Mavic hubs, the 501s I think. Those things would roll for ever.

jkbrwn
07-21-2020, 11:24 AM
I just got a set of Phil Wood Pro's and they're quite lovely. Very, very quiet freehub body and the bearings just spin and spin and spin. Took them for their first proper ride today and granted, I've not ridden a really nice set of hubs for a while, but they just don't seem to want to stop. Really nice feel when spinning up and rolling.

With that said, would I pay retail for them? (I purchased them used) I am not sure about that...

bicycletricycle
07-21-2020, 11:28 AM
do tell - what are the huge downsides to DA? i have many thousands of trouble free miles on them?

lack of freehub options, lack of long term support (replacement cones, etc), lack of axle options.

don't get me wrong, I have and love DA hubs, especially 7700. I just like having the option to change between groups and bikes without buying new wheels.

superbowlpats
07-21-2020, 12:08 PM
DT hubs for me. absolutely bullet proof, maintenance free - at least in my case.

CSKeller
07-21-2020, 03:58 PM
I agree with most here, My choices are:

Campy Record
White Industries T11
And somewhat obscure, Royce hubs out of the UK. These are pricey but SMMOOOTTHH, quiet and seem quite robust. They are absolutely gorgeous too!!

BGW17
07-21-2020, 05:50 PM
I've tried/have 4 sets of Mavic wheels. all Ksyriums. always felt they spun pretty quick, was able to service them with out a problem. id thrown them on the list.

bar far the easiest to service was my DT240 I had on a SS 29er. also own some i9 wheels on my GRavel which are pretty straight forward. Currently now on some CK hubs for the commuter which I haven't even tried to rebuild.

me personally I like a precision hub noise but these Hunt 40/50 carbon wheelset on my road are obnoxious when it comes to the noise. to the point i try not to free wheel.

just adding my 2cents. and getting ym post count up :beer:

.RJ
07-21-2020, 07:30 PM
The only thing I dont like about I9 is that extra parts are really expensive, and they will stop making parts once they stop making the hubs.

philhan89
07-21-2020, 09:00 PM
dt240 for ease of service, smooth, and durability. if you want silence rock the 18t if you want engagement rock the 54t. if you cant decide middle ground it at 36t.

extreme negative review for i9. had a set of torch hubs, kept blowing through bearings. maybe a bad batch or something. will give it to them, they are light. but the negativity comes from their customer service. after replacing bearings in them like 3 times in one year, front and rear hubs, they wouldnt do anything to help me out. bad batch, maybe but its your problem now.

dura if you wanna pass them down to your grand kids and ride in rain a lot.

never tried campy but sounds like gold according to this thread.

BGW17
07-21-2020, 09:08 PM
Sounds like Dura and Campy are they way. Of course the only hubs I haven’t tried yet.

And going back to i9s. I had to replace one bearing up front. But other than that they have stayed true and I beat them up. But would sell them for a 650b set. Just to try something new [emoji2369]

verbs4us
07-22-2020, 06:34 AM
I agree with most here, My choices are:

And somewhat obscure, Royce hubs out of the UK. These are pricey but SMMOOOTTHH, quiet and seem quite robust. They are absolutely gorgeous too!!

Have always admired Royce and almost visited the facility on a trip to the UK last summer, but ran out of time. Nothing much on the site on maintenance. Are they ball or cartridge bearing? I love this very British description from their web site: "With a Venus Hub the Rear Pawl system will let you know when it needs lubricating ie when it is quiet it is lovely, when it purrs it is fine
and when it clacks it needs lubricating."

fignon's barber
07-22-2020, 06:41 AM
Record
DT
Aivee
shimano
White Industries

I've been a big fan of WI T11. How does the Aivee stack up?

Clancy
07-22-2020, 07:04 AM
Low noise= Onyx

Also instant engagement. I got to play with one and it was much fun. A little heavy and pricey but ultra cool.

My vote for best all around hub? Dura Ace. End of story. Cup and cone bearings, and particularly Shimano’s, beautifully simple, easy to service, buttery smooth.

soulspinner
07-22-2020, 08:22 AM
DT hubs for me. absolutely bullet proof, maintenance free - at least in my case.

Me too. Bulletproof for me, have Campy that has been the same but 32 holes is a limitation.

charliedid
07-22-2020, 11:10 AM

I'm in same boat but still riding H2 and H3 and a pair of M15 on the touring bike.

I'm Aivee curious...

cgates66
07-22-2020, 11:58 AM
I had a great experience with the cheaper Mavic hubs - they use large bearings, well-spaced, and steel free hub body. Not the lightest, but durable and smooth. The fancier Mavic hubs to me were a little fiddly and I never really liked them.

White Industries CLD seem very good (~1,000 miles on mine probably so pretty new). They use large, well-spaced bearings as well and the titanium free hub body is much better than aluminum. Relatively simple to work on according to the manual, but I haven't had to work on them yet. Flanges look good.

Those are all cartridge of course. I also had some hubs with smaller bearings, and they weren't as good. Small bearings have lower drag, until you approach their load limits (which is possible for a heavier rider) and the deformation causes an exponential rise in drag, and they wear out faster. If you're a lighter rider - say under 175 - you probably don't have to worry about this.

I'd buy Dura Ace in a minute - they are obviously well designed, with huge, easy to work-on bearings - but Shimano doesn't, last I checked, sell disc-capable Dura Ace separately. Maybe they do now.

I'm personally very, very leery of ceramic bearings - both actual gains and durability. Most bearing drag is from the seals which has nothing to do with the bearings or races, followed by grease, and the main material advantage of ceramic in ball bearings anyway is heat resistance. Bicycle wheels don't spin fast enough for heat to matter. Do you even get 1 watt of gain? I doubt it. And how long does that watt last? 10 miles? 100 miles? The super-hard balls will wear the races at some point, esp. because grease drag is significant so maybe you run a lighter grease to lock-in your gains... I get it for single use, 1-second-makes-a-difference time trials, but otherwise...and I've spent plenty on marginal and/or aesthetic stuff - seems like BS. And how sensitive to set-up etc.? Maybe someone has some data.

I don't think there is a lot of difference among well-adjusted road hubs at the high-end (Shimano, Campy, White, Chris King, DT Swiss etc.) and "best" is hard to define as it may be application specific. A heavy, powerhouse sprinter may not have the same requirements as a climber, for example, or someone running a TT.

sparky33
07-22-2020, 12:50 PM

WI are my default choice. They work great and are easy to service, though they seldom need work.

DT hubs are nice.
I9 are great but for the very angry bees inside.

sg8357
07-22-2020, 01:46 PM
The attraction of the White hubs is no special tooling to change
the bearings. The docs tell you what size wrench sockets you need to
press the bearings in and out.

reuben
07-22-2020, 02:15 PM
I'm personally very, very leery of ceramic bearings - both actual gains and durability. Most bearing drag is from the seals which has nothing to do with the bearings or races, followed by grease, and the main material advantage of ceramic in ball bearings anyway is heat resistance. Bicycle wheels don't spin fast enough for heat to matter. Do you even get 1 watt of gain? I doubt it. And how long does that watt last? 10 miles? 100 miles? The super-hard balls will wear the races at some point, esp. because grease drag is significant so maybe you run a lighter grease to lock-in your gains... I get it for single use, 1-second-makes-a-difference time trials, but otherwise...and I've spent plenty on marginal and/or aesthetic stuff - seems like BS. And how sensitive to set-up etc.? Maybe someone has some data.
I'm not an expert on bicycle hubs/bearings or kitchen appliances, but the better faucets will have ceramic bearings. The reason is that they don't wear out as fast. A lot of faucets in Home Depot have metal bearings, which will wear out faster (but are more attractive in the store because the price is lower). The same or similar model with ceramic bearings/bushings will last longer but cost more.

Of course, they're not subjected to the abuse and heat that bicycle hubs are. And there are different types of metals and ceramics that can be used, which only complicates the comparison.

Just throwing out a (possibly irrelevant or confusing) point of reference.

froze
07-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Everything I've ever read always pointed me back to White Industry hubs. My other choice would be Royce. But I can't see spending that kind of money for either, so Shimano DA hubs are good enough.

9tubes
07-22-2020, 08:05 PM
I think everyone should be happy that we have so many great choices these days.

The only thing I can add to this discussion is a reminder that straight pull spokes are by far better than j-bend spokes.** The last I checked, Campagnolo and Shimano sell their straight-pull hubs only with their factory built wheels. If you're buying their aftermarket hubs for a custom build then you will have to use old-fashioned j-bend spokes.

** Research by DT showed that 70% of spoke breakage is at the j-bend.

CSKeller
07-22-2020, 08:56 PM
Have always admired Royce and almost visited the facility on a trip to the UK last summer, but ran out of time. Nothing much on the site on maintenance. Are they ball or cartridge bearing? I love this very British description from their web site: "With a Venus Hub the Rear Pawl system will let you know when it needs lubricating ie when it is quiet it is lovely, when it purrs it is fine

and when it clacks it needs lubricating."Hi verbs4us,

Royce uses NTN cartridge bearings. You can find more detail here

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/hubs/royce-hubs/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy340
07-22-2020, 09:43 PM
Another vote for White Industries - recently swapped out bearings in rear H3 hub (Precursor of T11 and relatively easy job - WI website had information readily available for bearing size etc.) The TI freehub with bearings removed is a thing of beauty and any company that can go to the effort and expense of TI in this area gets my vote.

reuben
07-23-2020, 05:26 AM
Through July 22. Here's my totally unscientific summary of the posts so far:

1 Aivee
12 Campagnolo - 2 Record, 10 generic
12 DT - 1 180, 3 240, 1 350, 7 generic
0 Chris King
1 Onyx
2 Phil Wood
1 Royce
9 Shimano - 5 DuraAce, 4 generic
14 White Industries - 3 T11, 11 generic

Some folks just stated what they had, not really whether they liked it or not. Or that they'd like to try something. Didn't really see any love for CK - too noisy, too hard to service.

Maybe next time this should be a poll if enough options are included.

crownjewelwl
07-23-2020, 05:43 AM
Onyx is probably a bit wasted on a road bike, the instant engagement on a mtb is where they'll really shine.

I'd add White Industries onto that list, and leave off anything shimano. Sure they're nice but as a hub to build, I think there are way better options out there, and all the other options can be converted to different axle standards down the line.

the silence of onyx hubs is well worth it...you can never go back

DHallerman
07-23-2020, 07:11 AM
What a fun thread! Let’s see, I’ve been delighted over the years by my wheels with White Industries hubs, built by Joe Young. He also built the two Phil Wood hubbed wheelsets on my bikes, most notably for my Gunnar single-speed that I’ve been rocking since late last century.

I’ve also been delighted by wheels with DT Swiss hubs, the 240s variety. Miles and miles, no problems.

And my one wheelset with Chris King hubs? They roll on my elegant beater, and keep on rolling. And I cannot forget the wheelsets with Dura-Ace hubs, both 7700 and 7800, which work and work and work.

So many ways to make a good decision!

gibbo
07-23-2020, 07:39 AM
I have had a few sets of nice hubs over the years:

CK R45 laced to HED Belgium for my everyday wheels, awesome awesome awesome, a bit heavy, not noisy (with a touch of light grease in the right place), perhaps a bit more drag due to GREAT bearing seals. Beautiful to look at, incredibly well made, will last for ever with a bit of love sent there way once a year.

D/A C 50 r9000 carbon tubs for racing, well made, low friction, easy to service, but a bit boring in the looks department, I think the new c40 or c60 look much better.

Tune mig 50/150 laced to ax lightness 24s, these hubs are actually really good considering how light they are, I would still be running them if I didn’t destroy the rear in a crash. Not easy to service, and cartridge bearings won’t last the same way as cup n cone IMO.

WI not as light as the tune, but really well made and easy to service. The look great as well.

guyintense
07-23-2020, 03:24 PM
Chris King gets my vote for road and dirt. Great design, American made with top quality parts, stellar customer service and easy to maintain.

bikinchris
07-23-2020, 06:53 PM
Through July 22. Here's my totally unscientific summary of the posts so far:

1 Aivee
12 Campagnolo - 2 Record, 10 generic
12 DT - 1 180, 3 240, 1 350, 7 generic
0 Chris King
1 Onyx
2 Phil Wood
1 Royce
9 Shimano - 5 DuraAce, 4 generic
14 White Industries - 3 T11, 11 generic

Some folks just stated what they had, not really whether they liked it or not. Or that they'd like to try something. Didn't really see any love for CK - too noisy, too hard to service.

Maybe next time this should be a poll if enough options are included.

Only three of those named are US made.
I have Chris King on my wife's bike and they're great, but they require more maintenance than my Phil hubs.

Toddtwenty2
07-23-2020, 08:08 PM
Aren’t 4 made in the US?

Phil Wood
White Industries
Chris King
Onyx

Only three of those named are US made.
I have Chris King on my wife's bike and they're great, but they require more maintenance than my Phil hubs.

Toddykins
07-23-2020, 09:22 PM
To offer more color - I love the silence of the onyx and the instant engagement. Who cares about a tiny weight penalty.

I have used most of the hubs discussed and I would say the only other ones that standout to me are the White Industries (CLD and T11) which in my experience are extremely durable and trouble free.

On the flipside, avoid Chris King unless you like constantly fiddling with them.

Morgul Bismark
07-23-2020, 09:26 PM
Phil Wood and Campy have been my favorites. Definitely the Phil Wood hubs were nicer than the Chris King hubs (and the Phil Hubs stay adjusted better). Sadly I sold that wheelset when I moved my Kirk from Dura Ace over to Campy 12-speed Record.

Louis
07-23-2020, 09:37 PM
Shimano Ultegra hubs and BBs - best value out there IMO.

They don't have the bling of many of the others mentioned, but boy do they last.

Joe
07-23-2020, 10:13 PM
This obviously isn’t responding to OP’s question about “best”...

Not much love here for CK, but I sure like this color...

commandcomm
07-23-2020, 11:09 PM
I like dura ace for lower noise. However. I cannot tell the difference between dura ace and white industries.

evo111@comcast.net
07-24-2020, 12:17 AM
A few years ago people were saying great things about Royce hubs. I have not seen much recent feedback about them. Anyone with real world experience?

Wakatel_Luum
07-24-2020, 12:46 AM
Royce...beautiful hubs but pricey. For the money I'd buy them over Chris King which seem expensive and require more maintenance than the brands I've used...HOPE, DT and Campagnolo...

ERK55
07-24-2020, 06:50 AM
The now (apparently) defunct Luxe Wheelworks used Royce hubs on their high end wheelsets.
I looked at the Royce website... it looks like they are no longer offering Campagnolo-specific hubs, for those who might care (like me).

oldpotatoe
07-24-2020, 07:03 AM

The only thing I can add to this discussion is a reminder that straight pull spokes are by far better than j-bend spokes.** The last I checked, Campagnolo and Shimano sell their straight-pull hubs only with their factory built wheels. If you're buying their aftermarket hubs for a custom build then you will have to use old-fashioned j-bend spokes.

Well, I think the research had better include how many j bend wheels break spokes in the first place. And why(rim issue, tension issue)Not many, so, yes, probably some advantages but
'far better', this wheelbuilder wouldn't go that far.

AngryScientist
07-24-2020, 07:10 AM
I'm pretty addicted to the sound of 54t DT star ratchet hubs laced to carbon wheels lately. zzz zzz zzz.

that is all.

reuben
07-24-2020, 07:36 AM
I'm pretty addicted to the sound of 54t DT star ratchet hubs laced to carbon wheels lately. zzz zzz zzz.

that is all.

Is there any real or imagined difference between the 36t and 54t, other than a higher sound frequency when freewheeling?

The 240 EXP 36t is one that I'm leaning toward.

AngryScientist
07-24-2020, 07:48 AM
Is there any real or imagined difference between the 36t and 54t?

The 240 EXP 36t is one that I'm leaning toward.

the sound difference is significant. the engagement is also notable.

that said, the 36t is a good compromise, especially if you'd rather them be quiet.

nachetetm
07-24-2020, 08:17 AM
Hope hubs are very well regarded in Europe for winter and bad weather situation. Not sure if they can be easily sourced in the US.

bicycletricycle
07-24-2020, 08:20 AM
Hope hubs are very well regarded in Europe for winter and bad weather situation. Not sure if they can be easily sourced in the US.

hope has become my back up option to WI, I have been using them on a few bikes and they are nice.

reuben
07-24-2020, 08:22 AM
the sound difference is significant. the engagement is also notable.

that said, the 36t is a good compromise, especially if you'd rather them be quiet.

I'm not racing anymore, and I do love peace and quiet, so I think I'll take the 54t upgrade option off the list.

Thanks.

Onno
07-24-2020, 10:04 AM
I got a good deal on wheels with I9 hubs. They seem fast, but I'm still not used to the noise, and I don't think I would get them again for just that reason.

.RJ
07-24-2020, 10:10 AM

Yup, we can get them easily. I have a set of wheels on my CX bike built with them and they've been super durable.

marciero
07-24-2020, 12:34 PM
I'll preface by saying that my experience is limited to a relatively few number of different brands.

For road I've always preferred Shimano 7700 - 7900 era Dura Ace or even Ultegra. I like the cup and cone/loose balls. More an aesthetic than anything to do with durability or adjustability, though that too. Also the low noise. Plus they are smooth and beautiful. Since I am on Shimano 10 speed I prefer less dish of the older hubs. (I will say though that I've had two or three of these with sticky pawl issues or something. After pulling away from a stop it would start to engage and then skip violently. Servicing freehubs is not something I've delved into. I dont have the tool...)

On the other hand,
Just built a Hope Pro 4 rear for a gravel/tourer (to replace Shimano XT Deore-apparently the not-bad quality of Shimano's lower end road stuff does not carry over to the MTB...) and it appears to be very high quality and quite beautiful. From the videos it appears maintenance is easy, it's versatile, etc. Also ordered the steel freehub to swap out with the alu freehub at some point. I had an RS-4, their road version, in hand as well but decided on the Pro 4 for 1) beefier bearings 2) four vs two pawls (though the steel freehub fits the RS4 as well 3) larger flange PCD on NDS, (probably a non-issue) 4) bearings appear better sealed.

That won out over DT Swiss, which I have on tandems and they are totally awesome. Last forever, smooth as can be. I like the non-standard/non-pawl ratchet/engagement as well (and I think the 18 points of engagement makes the most sense for heavy-duty). Onyx gets points for that too. Very clever, that design. CK of course has another non-standard design but I have some weird bias against CK.

I think I am over my "loose balls" phase and I would likely get the RS4 if I were building new road wheels. If I insisted on silent the Onyx would be it. I refuse to pay that much though.

weiwentg
07-24-2020, 03:15 PM
Aivee

Late response, but I just got a pair of Aivee's MP4s, their mid-level disc hub. November wheels thinks highly of the quality (https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/aivee-hubs). I have no meaningful feedback, having had one short ride on them. I believe the MP4 is made in France. Aivee has one lower-level hub, and two levels higher.

9tubes
07-24-2020, 03:15 PM

Well, I think the research had better include how many j bend wheels break spokes in the first place. And why (rim issue, tension issue). Not many, so, yes, probably some advantages but 'far better', this wheelbuilder wouldn't go that far.

Straight-pull spokes cost the same, weight the same, and break less. Is there an advantage to j-bend spokes? The only factor I can see is that not all hubs and not all spoke patterns are available in straight pull. However, since there are so many great hubs, I'm happy to limit my choices to the straight-pull versions.

Bob Ross
07-24-2020, 03:35 PM
dt240 for ease of service, smooth, and durability. if you want silence rock the 18t if you want engagement rock the 54t. if you cant decide middle ground it at 36t.

Wait, you can order DT Swiss 240S hubs in any of those three configurations?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!?!?

(...sez the guy who has three or four sets of wheels built on 240S hubs)

verticaldoug
07-24-2020, 04:22 PM
If you have unlimited budget, GOKISO hubs from Japan.

But I know most of you won't drop 6k on hubs.

marciero
07-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Straight-pull spokes cost the same, weight the same, and break less. Is there an advantage to j-bend spokes? The only factor I can see is that not all hubs and not all spoke patterns are available in straight pull. However, since there are so many great hubs, I'm happy to limit my choices to the straight-pull versions.

The machining on the hub for some of these straight pull hubs is much more contrived. Simple and clean designs are generally preferred Can you even get 32 spoke 3x hubs in straight pull? That's deal breaker for me. I dont buy the breaking spokes argument. When was the last time anyone broke a spoke? Not including if you weigh 200lb and are riding 20 spoke wheel rear wheel.

Louis
07-24-2020, 08:06 PM
If you have unlimited budget, GOKISO hubs from Japan.

But I know most of you won't drop 6k on hubs.

I'd get some, but just don't have the time to keep them clean.

Hmmm, maybe my soigneur has a bit of extra time after my post-ride massage...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/OJ00FQlIKz6Iz6voda_tualEaBPH_bqmyCW_Dwh7O0ltO7ZvlR lpQeOLynzf9PzRMaXYttjqggh85fP8FQZjwQB7Ol5tuDYc5vnt PEykSuTZCuUPnN4_BDmtLaA

9tubes
07-24-2020, 09:23 PM
The machining on the hub for some of these straight pull hubs is much more contrived. Simple and clean designs are generally preferred Can you even get 32 spoke 3x hubs in straight pull? That's deal breaker for me. I dont buy the breaking spokes argument. When was the last time anyone broke a spoke? Not including if you weigh 200lb and are riding 20 spoke wheel rear wheel.

If a person is using 32 spoke 3x then performance isn't the point anyway. Use whatever is cheap and save money for a good pint of ale.

As for simple and clean, we can't get much more simple and clean than an I9 or Campy front hub.

Yes, the machining is much more complicated on straight-pull rear hubs. But we could say the same thing about cassettes and yet everyone stopped using separate-cog cassettes because of weight and performance. Ever looked closely at a SRAM cx cassette? It's a marvel of CNC machining, and I love it.

marciero
07-25-2020, 04:09 AM
[If a person is using 32 spoke 3x then performance isn't the point anyway. Use whatever is cheap and save money for a good pint of ale.

The topic is "best road hubs". So it depends on criteria for "best". There are different metrics for "performance" also. Also, some of us construe "road" more broadly than others. But I will grant you that if your main considerations are weight and speed on smooth paved roads then 32 spoke would not be the way to go, and maybe my comments are more about "hubs I like for the riding I do".
As far as using what is cheap-more spokes will not mitigate low quality. Most of the issues one will encounter have nothing to do with the number of spokes.

mdeth1313
07-25-2020, 05:17 AM
Anyone mention Carbon-ti hubs? Hit the sweet spot for cost/weight/durability/easily serviced.

Wookski
07-25-2020, 05:29 AM
Anyone mention Carbon-ti hubs? Hit the sweet spot for cost/weight/durability/easily serviced.

Carbon-ti x roads are great but my favourite hubs are extralite cyber hubs. Not everyone’s cup of tea but the fact they are even semi-reliable at their insane weight is super impressive.

oldpotatoe
07-25-2020, 06:07 AM

Hub availability, you mentioned it. Plus spoke length calculations are tougher with SP spokes..

bfd
07-25-2020, 09:59 AM
Hub availability, you mentioned it. Plus spoke length calculations are tougher with SP spokes..

What about spokes availability for SP spokes? One thing I like about standard db spokes is if you're on a ride and break a spoke, you can basically go into any bike shop and get a replacement for a few dollars and be on your way.

In contrast, many of the fancy boutique wheelset, including Campy, require proprietary spokes, whether SP or j-bend, that most shops may not have and if they do will charge at least $10 per spoke if not more.

Of course, if you don't ever break a spoke then this is a non-issue...Good Luck!

roguedog
07-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Anyone been on project 321s? High engagement. Quiet (or loud). Lighter than Onyx. Made in USA. Been looking at them ..

Holy Moly. I thought I was kinda crazy for looking at project 321 and onyx.. Gokiso.. gulp. It better do some pedal assist but still burn twice the calories for me, auto heal broke spokes and fix flat tires for me at least! YIKES (Going to watch the video now)

verbs4us
07-25-2020, 02:01 PM
The now (apparently) defunct Luxe Wheelworks used Royce hubs on their high end wheelsets.
I looked at the Royce website... it looks like they are no longer offering Campagnolo-specific hubs, for those who might care (like me).

ERK--Is Luxe no more? Have you tried to contact Justin Spinelli? I have two sets of his wheels (on T11 hubs) and they are just as true today as when new, despite for-crap roads around here. PM me if you want his email--or the last one I have for him.

slowpoke
07-25-2020, 02:08 PM
The topic is "best road hubs". So it depends on criteria for "best". There are different metrics for "performance" also.

The OP, reuben, was clear with his criteria for this thread: "Factors include low friction, durability, ease of service, low noise, and any others you care to throw out there."

DT Swiss 240s are up there for durability and being of the most easily serviceable hubs.

MaraudingWalrus
07-27-2020, 08:50 PM
I'm a huge evangelist for Onyx hubs. I've built a not insignificant number of wheels with their hubs for road, mtb, and cross/gravel -and have more on the way for my tandem - for personal bikes and for customers.

The silence of their mechanism is fantastic - we all say that a Shimano hub is quiet, but these are actually silent. They are more or less to a Dura Ace hub what a DA hub is to an I9/CK hub. The instantaneousness of the engagement is seriously cool, albeit somewhat wasted on a pavement only bike - as most are not really coasting and jumping back on the gas much on pavement, nor doing little half cranks where the quick engagement would be useful.

A couple notes that I don't think I saw mentioned anywhere about Onyx. They have a newer version of the design, called Vesper, which is considerably lighter. Road version is not on their website, but having built with them I can confirm they do exist. Not light, but something like 100ish g lighter than previous version. They also have a zillion stock options for colors, in both powder coated an anodized (something like 28-30 stock color offerings) and also for about $100ish (iirc) they'll custom powdercoat to basically any color that prismatic powders offers. They also do (free) custom engraving of a logo or writing on the hub shell if you want it.

I also love Aivee hubs. They have several different hubs at various price points, and really can provide phenomenal value for money. The Edition One is right there with any of the fancy lightweight hubs in terms of quality. And their cheaper hubs are right there with other offerings in terms of price and value. I have some MP2 hubs on a tubular wheelset I don't ride much, and have a half dozen or so clients riding various of their hubsets. I may use some Edition Ones on a lightweight build for myself in the future - thinking about doing a crazy lightweight wheelset with Berd spokes & tubeless tubulars for gravel riding; Edition Ones might tie that together nicely.

Asudef
07-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Anyone have experience with PMP hubs? Looks like they use an aluminum FHB which isn't ideal though.

tuxbailey
07-27-2020, 10:24 PM
My knowledge on hubs are limited or non-existent but I didn't realize CK hubs are not liked here.

Recently got a set of wheels that came with them and I thought they were very nice.

My previous "nice" hubs are Record and Mavic Ksyrium hubs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

rohan
07-27-2020, 10:47 PM
A lot of people have mentioned Dura Ace hubs, but I can't seem to find a pair of the most recent 9000 versions easily (I don't think there were 9100 hubs). Are they being phased out, or is it just a COVID thing? I was just about to buy myself a pair to build a sunny-day commuting/touring wheels—the lack of availability may be a good thing for me right now, though, because I can't (really) afford them.

jkbrwn
07-27-2020, 11:03 PM
My knowledge on hubs are limited or non-existent but I didn't realize CK hubs are not liked here.

Recently got a set of wheels that came with them and I thought they were very nice.

My previous "nice" hubs are Record and Mavic Ksyrium hubs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I think the main reason they’ve not been mentioned that much, is that OP said they didn’t love the noise and OP listed them themselves.

They’re notoriously high maintenance and also have a lot of proprietary tools required to work on them. Spares/parts are also very expensive for them. The initial cost is also very high. They don’t do anything cheaper and easier to maintain hubs do.

tsarpepe
07-27-2020, 11:09 PM
Not a single mention of Alchemy?

oldpotatoe
07-28-2020, 06:17 AM
A lot of people have mentioned Dura Ace hubs, but I can't seem to find a pair of the most recent 9000 versions easily (I don't think there were 9100 hubs). Are they being phased out, or is it just a COVID thing? I was just about to buy myself a pair to build a sunny-day commuting/touring wheels—the lack of availability may be a good thing for me right now, though, because I can't (really) afford them.

9000 hubs are hard to find but I think a COVID thing plus demand. PLUS, altho nice hubs, they are expensive. Trade that ti freehub body for a steel one and get Ultegra or even 105 level(sunny day touring/commuting wheels)...

ERK55
07-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Not a single mention of Alchemy?

No longer in production (?)

BdaGhisallo
07-28-2020, 11:29 AM
No longer in production (?)

Yep - went the way of the dodo a few years ago.

cgates66
07-28-2020, 11:45 AM
9000 hubs are hard to find but I think a COVID thing plus demand. PLUS, altho nice hubs, they are expensive. Trade that ti freehub body for a steel one and get Ultegra or even 105 level(sunny day touring/commuting wheels)...

I'm not so sure it's COVID. Shimano makes disc brake wheels, but you can't get a Dura Ace disc hub, at least as far as I've seen.

And Dura Ace 9000 rim brake hubs started to appear unavailable back in early January if I recall. Not sure what's going on - and maybe I'm wrong and it is COVID - but it seems like something else.

Velocipede
07-28-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm not so sure it's COVID. Shimano makes disc brake wheels, but you can't get a Dura Ace disc hub, at least as far as I've seen.

And Dura Ace 9000 rim brake hubs started to appear unavailable back in early January if I recall. Not sure what's going on - and maybe I'm wrong and it is COVID - but it seems like something else.

Oh, it's totally COVID related. The amount of items Shimano and the other are out of is massive. I've had companies tell me how they've double sold time and again. I just ordered something the other day and the oversold it 5 times. Shimano has backorders in the hundreds for certain items. And that's just for retailers. Not including distributors.

reuben
07-28-2020, 02:36 PM
Through July 27. Here's my totally unscientific summary of the posts so far:

Aivee 3 - 1 MP4, 2 generic
Campy 23 - 2 Record, 21 generic
DT 25 - 1 180, 4 240, 1 350, 19 generic
GOKISO 1
Hope 1
I9 1
King 2 - 1 R45, 1 generic
Onyx 2
Phil Wood 5
Royce 3
Shimano 23 - 7 DuraAce, 1 Ultegra, 15 generic
White 29 - 3 T11, 26 generic

Latestart
07-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Through July 27. Here's my totally unscientific summary of the posts so far:

Aivee 3 - 1 MP4, 2 generic
Campy 23 - 2 Record, 21 generic
DT 25 - 1 180, 4 240, 1 350, 19 generic
GOKISO 1
Hope 1
I9 1
King 2 - 1 R45, 1 generic
Onyx 2
Phil Wood 5
Royce 3
Shimano 23 - 7 DuraAce, 1 Ultegra, 15 generic
White 29 - 3 T11, 23 generic??

reuben
07-28-2020, 02:45 PM
??

Fixed. Or you can do it yourself.

ultraman6970
07-28-2020, 02:57 PM
Campagnolo record and miche hubs here.

tsarpepe
07-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Dura Ace (7700, 7800), followed closely by DT 240.

Velocipede
07-28-2020, 04:58 PM
I'm a big fan of White Ind hubs. But since I've been dealing with Aivee, I'm leaning more towards them lately. They are just a bit different and slightly nicer.

thirdgenbird
07-28-2020, 05:17 PM
I'm a big fan of White Ind hubs. But since I've been dealing with Aivee, I'm leaning more towards them lately. They are just a bit different and slightly nicer.

How is bearing preload set on Aivee?

MaraudingWalrus
07-28-2020, 05:48 PM
I'm a big fan of White Ind hubs. But since I've been dealing with Aivee, I'm leaning more towards them lately. They are just a bit different and slightly nicer.They are indeed just a bit different.

Some assembly required on the Edition One hubs upon arrival.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200728/48aee5debc0a02091301cd86b8c91638.jpg