PDA

View Full Version : New Campy wheels- Shamal

huck*this
07-20-2020, 05:03 AM
Kind of a let down with these. Loved that the Shamal line was top of the line for an alloy wheel. Carbon hub, Ceramic bearings, beefy spokes, lightweight. Now this just looks like an entry level carbon wheel. That is heavy. Maybe they are putting all the tech into there WTO Ultra wheel?

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/immagini/10809_n_shamal-carbon-disc-brake-front-2021-800x800.jpg

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Wheels/shamal_carbon_disc_brake

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 05:18 AM
It’s only 100g heavier than a bora 35db but is 4mm wider, the rear rim is 5mm deeper, it’s considerably cheaper, and there is no reason to think it doesn’t have Campagnolo’s fantastic build quality. I think these are going to sell very well.

Frankly, I’m happy that Campagnolo isn’t chasing weight savings at every turn. They seem to be balancing cost and features very will. These should complement chorus perfectly.

huck*this
07-20-2020, 05:29 AM
It’s only 100g heavier than a bora 35db but is 4mm wider, the rear rim is 5mm deeper, it’s considerably cheaper, and there is no reason to think it doesn’t have Campagnolo’s fantastic build quality. I think these are going to sell very well.

Frankly, I’m happy that Campagnolo isn’t chasing weight savings at every turn. They seem to be balancing cost and features very will. These should complement chorus perfectly.

Agree. But what you stated above should have been for the Zonda line not Shamal. I guess just hard to swallow that Shamal now has Steel bearings.

R3awak3n
07-20-2020, 05:46 AM
I think I rather have a deeper carbon rim than ceramic bearings. I never noticed anything with ceramic anything and I have had a few things with them, currently have a ck ceramic BB and never notice its not just a BB.

I had a similar opinion on these when I first read the specs, heavy, nothing special but then I saw the price and they are competitively priced and you get excellent campy construction. And at the end of the day 1550g for a disc wheel is not that bad, also saves a few grams not having to use tubeless tape :) my only grip is g3 pattern which is not my favorite, and on the disc wheels you get front and rear but thats a campy thing I guess, can always get fulcrums

robertbb
07-20-2020, 06:14 AM
Perhaps most importantly - are those removable stickers, or decals under the clear-coat?

Wattvagen
07-20-2020, 06:22 AM
but then I saw the price

let's see how things shape up in the www space with regard to pricing.

seems last year or there about shimano made a major move to tighten up their distribution lines and the mega online deals for shimano components dried up almost overnight. i'm a shimano pedal user and it went from finding dura ace and xtr pedals in the UK for half RRP to those gone quickly. these days i buy at a small discount in the US.

for campy, for years it has been campagnolo's RRP and then the real "street price" - and those avenues seem to be closing rapidly.

some of us are completely crazy and watch the price of european bike parts like the stock market. haha.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2020, 06:23 AM
Agree. But what you stated above should have been for the Zonda line not Shamal. I guess just hard to swallow that Shamal now has Steel bearings.

So...Campag, to keep a price point and make a change that really means something..swap the ceramic, which does nothing, for a wider carbon hoop..makes sense to me.

People whine that Campag doesn't respond to the latest 'FAD', like GRoad bikes, and when they do, people whine about that...big sigh..

saab2000
07-20-2020, 06:48 AM
What's disappointing? They look like really nice wheels. I'm glad they're going to a 21mm internal width rim.

Campagnolo makes fantastic wheels. Many happy years on Nucleon tubulars. I'd ride these.

corky
07-20-2020, 07:29 AM
Think these are aimed at the gravellers

Tim Porter
07-20-2020, 07:43 AM
It looks like Campy has ditched the Shamal Milles but kept the regular aluminum Shamals, so there's still that option.

I have to say that a few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge into tubeless after having a failed early adopter experience. I bought the WTO 33s and have installed Vittoria Corsa Controls in 25mm and the ride is just amazingly comfortable, compliant, controllable and firm at the same time. Just amazing wheels, and I'd expect these Shamals to be similar.

I have Campy wheels coming out of my ears at this point and love 'em. Clincher, tubeless, tubular, aluminum, carbon, you name it.

ColonelJLloyd
07-20-2020, 07:51 AM
I guess just hard to swallow that Shamal now has Steel bearings.

Decades of Record hubs still spin, confused at your statement. ;)

makoti
07-20-2020, 07:53 AM
It looks like Campy has ditched the Shamal Milles but kept the regular aluminum Shamals, so there's still that option.

I have to say that a few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge into tubeless after having a failed early adopter experience. I bought the WTO 33s and have installed Vittoria Corsa Controls in 25mm and the ride is just amazingly comfortable, compliant, controllable and firm at the same time. Just amazing wheels, and I'd expect these Shamals to be similar.

I have Campy wheels coming out of my ears at this point and love 'em. Clincher, tubeless, tubular, aluminum, carbon, you name it.

I have a set of the Shamal 17's. The ride improved dramatically when I put tubeless on them. Conti 5000TL's in 25.

weiwentg
07-20-2020, 09:13 AM
I think I rather have a deeper carbon rim than ceramic bearings. I never noticed anything with ceramic anything and I have had a few things with them, currently have a ck ceramic BB and never notice its not just a BB.

I had a similar opinion on these when I first read the specs, heavy, nothing special but then I saw the price and they are competitively priced and you get excellent campy construction. And at the end of the day 1550g for a disc wheel is not that bad, also saves a few grams not having to use tubeless tape :) my only grip is g3 pattern which is not my favorite, and on the disc wheels you get front and rear but thats a campy thing I guess, can always get fulcrums

I agree about the rim vs the bearings. Re the rim’s 21mm internal width, 28.5mm external width spec, that’s a fine spec for current road bikes. It does lag what people use off road. I would rather they have specced something like 23-25mm internal width. Shimano and Campy have both held to fairly traditional widths on their own wheels, I think. It’s good to see Campy moving forward.

That said, they look great, and presumably this is a very good wheel at a very fair price. If I went back to Campy on a performance road bike, I’d personally be looking for something like this but in a 40-60mm depth. I wonder if they will redo the Boras in these specs?

If it were more an all-road bike, I am not sure that I’d jump on wheels like this, as I would prefer wider rims.

R3awak3n
07-20-2020, 09:29 AM
let's see how things shape up in the www space with regard to pricing.

seems last year or there about shimano made a major move to tighten up their distribution lines and the mega online deals for shimano components dried up almost overnight. i'm a shimano pedal user and it went from finding dura ace and xtr pedals in the UK for half RRP to those gone quickly. these days i buy at a small discount in the US.

for campy, for years it has been campagnolo's RRP and then the real "street price" - and those avenues seem to be closing rapidly.

some of us are completely crazy and watch the price of european bike parts like the stock market. haha.

I think that even at MSRP these are a great deal.

The closest wheels I can see to these (and I am not counting chinese manufacturers... not saying they are bad because light bicycle, nextie, ect make excellent wheels and you can get a set with DT hubs for like $750)) is Reynolds. The Reynolds AR41, which I happen to have a set. They are 41mm deep (which I prefer to the 35/40mm on the campys), they also have regular spokes, they have brass nipples. Weight on those is 1630g. The shamals are 1585g so we have a difference of 45g but the Reynolds have a deeper front rim. Same exact internal measurements.

The Reynolds are $1299 and the shamals are $1475 (the Reynolds can be gotten much cheaper, I got mine I think for $1000). Now, you can get the next version of the Reynolds which has nicer hubs, graphics are not decals and use alloy nipples. Drops the weight down to 1565g so this is more of a direct comparison to the shamals. 6mm more depth in the front rim and lighter for the same price. Now don't get me wrong, the campy wheel might be built better and the hubs might be nicer but just comparing numbers here.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Campagnolo is in a tough position. When they flex their capabilities, people complain about price. Then they make very competent and competitive parts (these and chorus 12) and people complain that it’s not as good as their top tier efforts or other offerings that didn’t present the same value.

In my opinion, Campag has finally found the right balance and lineup. Super Record and WTO for that lust-worthy road bike. Chorus and Shamals for the workhorse.

I used to be all about buying Campagnolo’s best but I’ve found an appreciation for this new series of parts that’s not just a budget version of their top tier parts. The new Shamal wheels and Chorus 12 differentiate themselves from the lineup in a meaningful way yet still feels true to the brand.

R3awak3n
07-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Not sure that was an answer to my post but if that wasn't clear, I think the new shamals are priced very competitively and I think they will do well.

As far as chorus 12, I think its a good group for the price but competitively priced I am not so sure of that, isnt it twice as much as Ultegra R8000?

I mean, imo a much nicer group than ultegra but the people that would buy chorus are the people that buy ultegra and thats a bit more money with similar functionality. But I agree campy is in a tough spot but I think if you going to buy campy you are going to buy campy, if you are not, you are not.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 10:04 AM
It was a general response. From what I’ve seen, chorus and ultegra are like $100 apart from domestic sources and $300 apart when bought from discount channels. (Rim brake) The abundance of ultegra at the OEM level likely drives that difference.

If history is any indication, you might make that difference back when you go to sell the parts years later.

R3awak3n
07-20-2020, 10:05 AM
It was a general response. From what I’ve seen, chorus and ultegra are like $100 apart from domestic sources and $300 apart when bought from discount channels.

If history is any indication, you might make that difference back when you go to sell the parts years later.

thats a good point on the re-sale value.

From what I saw was chorus complete group $1200. Ultegra Complete was about $700.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 10:13 AM
thats a good point on the re-sale value.

From what I saw was chorus complete group $1200. Ultegra Complete was about $700.

You can get a complete chorus group with warranty for less than that I think. My pricing was without brakes but multiple cassettes so I can say exactly.

Velocipede
07-20-2020, 10:55 AM
Here's the link to the wheels I posted in the other thread.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2760007&postcount=122

I love these new wheels. They are excellent in every way. Honestly. Yes, I'm a Campy fan but still, value for money, quality, looks, compatibility, everything.

Yes, you can remove the decals. I am not a fan of the SHAMAL graphic I wish they'd do something different there. But the rest of the package is perfect.

Someone mentioned these are the same as the Fulcrum 40 wheels, they are different. Different rim, different rim heights, different spokes, hubs, freehub body.

Another thing, Chorus is supposed to be equal to Ultegra but it's actually slightly above it. Price wise, it's slightly more but offers more and is lighter and of course doesn't have the crank arm failure issue.

R3awak3n
07-20-2020, 11:27 AM
Here's the link to the wheels I posted in the other thread.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2760007&postcount=122

I love these new wheels. They are excellent in every way. Honestly. Yes, I'm a Campy fan but still, value for money, quality, looks, compatibility, everything.

Yes, you can remove the decals. I am not a fan of the SHAMAL graphic I wish they'd do something different there. But the rest of the package is perfect.

Someone mentioned these are the same as the Fulcrum 40 wheels, they are different. Different rim, different rim heights, different spokes, hubs, freehub body.

Another thing, Chorus is supposed to be equal to Ultegra but it's actually slightly above it. Price wise, it's slightly more but offers more and is lighter and of course doesn't have the crank arm failure issue.

Yes, chorus is a higher quality than ultegra but, specially now that it got “downgraded” not quite dura ace. Its stuck in the middle of those and its perfectly fine. I pretty much would always get chorus over anything else.

fignon's barber
07-20-2020, 12:11 PM

I said they are basically the same. Really the difference is the Fulcrum depth is 40/40 while the Shamal is 35/40 (hence the 30g weight difference) and the Fulcrum doesn't use the polarizing G3 spoke pattern. I use the Fulcrum 40 for disc, and the Bora 35 for rim brakes. To me, there is no perceivable advantage to these Shamals.

Coffee Rider
07-20-2020, 02:08 PM
Campagnolo is in a tough position. When they flex their capabilities, people complain about price. Then they make very competent and competitive parts (these and chorus 12) and people complain that it’s not as good as their top tier efforts or other offerings that didn’t present the same value.

In my opinion, Campag has finally found the right balance and lineup. Super Record and WTO for that lust-worthy road bike. Chorus and Shamals for the workhorse.

I used to be all about buying Campagnolo’s best but I’ve found an appreciation for this new series of parts that’s not just a budget version of their top tier parts. The new Shamal wheels and Chorus 12 differentiate themselves from the lineup in a meaningful way yet still feels true to the brand.

Aside from weight differences that aren't really going to matter to people who buy the stuff, the main reason for going Record/SR over Chorus or DA over Ultegra is vanity. I think a lot of cycling purchases are generally motivated by vanity anyway, and I don't need to further rationalize for things I get.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 02:23 PM
Aside from weight differences that aren't really going to matter to people who buy the stuff, the main reason for going Record/SR over Chorus or DA over Ultegra is vanity. I think a lot of cycling purchases are generally motivated by vanity anyway, and I don't need to further rationalize for things I get.

My point is that is less so today. Chorus offers a subcompact but not a standard crankset. Record offers a standard but not a subcompact. Bora and shamal wheels are now different widths. Rather than have levels of parts that are separated by mainly weight, Campagnolo is starting to carve out some more dedicated markets. Yes, there is overlap, but that is what I would expect from a company that has been focused on the road market.

Someone road racing will likely be better suited with record. Someone building a gravel rig will be better suited with chorus. It’s no longer just vanity.

Hellgate
07-20-2020, 02:42 PM
They look like nice wheels to me. I think it's great Campy has added a wider rim to their catalog.

Velocipede
07-20-2020, 04:14 PM
I said they are basically the same. Really the difference is the Fulcrum depth is 40/40 while the Shamal is 35/40 (hence the 30g weight difference) and the Fulcrum doesn't use the polarizing G3 spoke pattern. I use the Fulcrum 40 for disc, and the Bora 35 for rim brakes. To me, there is no perceivable advantage to these Shamals.

I wasn't trying to slam your comment. I was just saying there is a difference in the build/design of them and of course the price difference. The Fulcrum 40 DB wheels are significantly more money. 1299 vs 2099 Euros. I think both are excellent in their own way.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 04:33 PM
I kinda hope we see a wider 650b set to complement the 1x group.

Velocipede
07-20-2020, 04:43 PM
I kinda hope we see a wider 650b set to complement the 1x group.

What 1x group?

Dino Suegiù
07-20-2020, 04:52 PM
I think it is great that (as I think thirdgenbird is pointing out) with the advent of carbon-fiber bodies, etc., and then trickle-down, Campagnolo eventually reached the ceiling on what once could be defined as a "pure cost/prestige/vanity ladder" in their various gruppos, apexed by the re-introduction of Super Record, and so more recently have moved the differences to actual performance and use characteristics rather than the older "Chorus = 0 ti bolts; Record = 2 ti bolts; SR = 4 ti bolts..." model. No longer is Chorus outright a "step (R) or two (SR) lower"; for some uses it is in fact "better" (ie more useful).

Tz779
07-20-2020, 04:59 PM
Perhaps most importantly - are those removable stickers, or decals under the clear-coat?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

fignon's barber
07-20-2020, 05:11 PM
I wasn't trying to slam your comment. I was just saying there is a difference in the build/design of them and of course the price difference. The Fulcrum 40 DB wheels are significantly more money. 1299 vs 2099 Euros. I think both are excellent in their own way.

I believe that one is called Fulcrum Speed 40, and is equal to Bora Ultra. The one I'm referring to is Fulcrum Wind 40, which is same price as the Shamal. Fulcrum literally has a couple dozen different wheelsets. It's confusing. And no slam felt, and this isn't a slam on your slam, because I didn't think I was being slammed:)

robertbb
07-20-2020, 05:33 PM
I think it is great that (as I think thirdgenbird is pointing out) with the advent of carbon-fiber bodies, etc., and then trickle-down, Campagnolo eventually reached the ceiling on what once could be defined as a "pure cost/prestige/vanity ladder" in their various gruppos, apexed by the re-introduction of Super Record, and so more recently have moved the differences to actual performance and use characteristics rather than the older "Chorus = 0 ti bolts; Record = 2 ti bolts; SR = 4 ti bolts..." model. No longer is Chorus outright a "step (R) or two (SR) lower"; for some uses it is in fact "better" (ie more useful).

And speed holes. Don't forget those cutouts! Plus the splashes of red. They made R/SR that much more bling!!

(Totally agree with what you're saying, btw)

Velocipede
07-20-2020, 05:38 PM
I believe that one is called Fulcrum Speed 40, and is equal to Bora Ultra. The one I'm referring to is Fulcrum Wind 40, which is same price as the Shamal. Fulcrum literally has a couple dozen different wheelsets. It's confusing. And no slam felt, and this isn't a slam on your slam, because I didn't think I was being slammed:)

Ah yes. I clicked the wrong one. Too many wheels. Guess that's why they are narrowing things down. The rim is closer to a WTO/Bora mix with the the shape and weave. Slight differences. Enough to make people go with one over the other? The only thing I think would sway people is the rim width- the Shamal Carbons are wider than the Fulcrums. And of course for some people they refuse to ride Campy wheels on a Shimano or SRAM bike.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 05:50 PM
What 1x group?

:fight:

huck*this
07-20-2020, 05:51 PM
I just hope we as Campy lovers are not settling for a lesser build/specs in favor of trends and pricing structure. Too me the refinement of Campy and that special feel (glide on USB or CULT bearings that we feel on roads) and glimmer of carbon hubs is one of the many reasons why Campy is the group for me.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice Wheelset and I’m sure rolls nice as Campy should, but Shamal it is not

Maybe I just had high hopes when I heard the rumors and was excited, but let down when released. Hopefully WTO Ultra makes a debut.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 06:02 PM
Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice Wheelset and I’m sure rolls nice as Campy should, but Shamal it is not

No, the prior generation wasn’t a shamal. This was Campagnolo correcting their error. :)

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698003044&stc=1&d=1593475261

Velocipede
07-20-2020, 06:44 PM
No, the prior generation wasn’t a shamal. This was Campagnolo correcting their error. :)

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698003044&stc=1&d=1593475261

I absolutely agree. The last generation wasn't a Shamal wheel given what they started as. A 50mm aero wheel. I think the new version is very much a u-turn to the originals.

ducati2
07-20-2020, 07:00 PM
Not sure I could feel the difference ceramic bearings make. I don’t care if these are lighter than what I currently have on my bike or if they are slightly more aero when I cruise at 40kph. I just think they will compliment the Chorus equipped Enigma Evoke Ti I bought a while back from the PL classifieds!

Velocipede
07-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Not sure I could feel the difference ceramic bearings make. I don’t care if these are lighter than what I currently have on my bike or if they are slightly more aero when I cruise at 40kph. I just think they will compliment the Chorus equipped Enigma Evoke Ti I bought a while back from the PL classifieds!

Oh, they'll look hot on that. And they'll be lighter and faster than the Zondas on there.

JMWC
07-20-2020, 07:13 PM

Reinforcing the vanity play :banana: I love it, I miss my Campy, maybe on my retirement bike!!!

ducati2
07-20-2020, 07:21 PM
It’s obvious, I am shallow. The older I get the less I care about stuff like hype around bearings, if I can add 1kph to one of my local routes, or if I can take 10 seconds off my PB on a local hill. I just want to breath hard, feel the weather, experience the wonderful feeling of a road bike on tarmac etc. If I can look good doing it, all the better!

huck*this
07-20-2020, 07:25 PM
I absolutely agree. The last generation wasn't a Shamal wheel given what they started as. A 50mm aero wheel. I think the new version is very much a u-turn to the originals.

I stand corrected. I have not ridden and forgot about that gen Shamal along with the silver rims. Very nice.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 10:31 PM
I don’t think we have addressed the most important topic here.

Where do I get those bottles?
https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Campagnolo-Shamal-1-of-1-1536x887.jpg

Velocipede
07-20-2020, 10:52 PM
I don’t think we have addressed the most important topic here.

Where do I get those bottles?
https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Campagnolo-Shamal-1-of-1-1536x887.jpg

They are custom Elite Fly bottles. It's an internal thing. I can see if I can grab some more from Italy.

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 11:12 PM
They are custom Elite Fly bottles. It's an internal thing. I can see if I can grab some more from Italy.

I would love a pair for the Tommasini above.

Coffee Rider
07-20-2020, 11:14 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200721/cabd4d7681e7dff4f8cb9ae277a2dceb.jpg
Same bottle as this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirdgenbird
07-20-2020, 11:15 PM
Looks like the same bottle in a different color. I dig that one too.

huck*this
07-21-2020, 04:38 AM
Same bottle as this?

Wow this one is perfect! Where can it be sourced or is this internal only also?

robertbb
07-21-2020, 05:05 AM
PL group buy! Im in... though I'd prefer navy with white logo...

wayaway
07-21-2020, 05:25 AM
pl group buy! Im in... Though i'd prefer navy with white logo...

x2

makoti
07-21-2020, 07:38 AM
PL group buy! Im in... though I'd prefer navy with white logo...

Take my money

happycampyer
07-21-2020, 08:26 AM
That blue bottle is awesome!

Velocipede
07-21-2020, 09:20 AM
Same bottle as this?

Yep. Same bottle.

Velocipede
07-21-2020, 09:41 AM
I asked. Nothing left. No plans to make more. They were a promo thing for media mainly. Unless I buy a case of bottles and have them screened here, looks like a no. Sorry.

thirdgenbird
07-21-2020, 10:14 AM
I asked. Nothing left. No plans to make more. They were a promo thing for media mainly. Unless I buy a case of bottles and have them screened here, looks like a no. Sorry.

Thanks for looking.

Velocipede
07-21-2020, 10:35 AM
No worries. I'd buy a case or two and do it if people committed to them. They are nice bottles.

thirdgenbird
07-21-2020, 10:42 AM
I would be very interested pending pricing

PaMtbRider
07-21-2020, 10:46 AM
No worries. I'd buy a case or two and do it if people committed to them. They are nice bottles.

Come up with a price and I imagine you could easily sell a case or two. Of course I don't even know how many bottles come in a case, but I would certainly be in for a couple of bottles.

Dino Suegiù
07-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Wouldn't a dealer or vendor of sorts proposing an unofficial group buy of these, which were clearly stated as "limited run" editions, essentially be then copyright infringement against both Elite and Campagnolo? It seems like an odd, not very respectful, thing to propose on a public forum, at the very least. If individuals buy their own Fly bottles and do that, that's one thing. This proposal seems quite different on several levels....

thirdgenbird
07-21-2020, 11:04 AM
You are assuming it was a “Limited Run edition” and not just a limited run. Big difference between limiting something for exclusivity and having something be limited based on need at the time.

Dino Suegiù
07-21-2020, 11:17 AM
You are assuming it was a “Limited Run edition” and not just a limited run. Big difference between limiting something for exclusivity and having something be limited based on need at the time.

I'm not assuming anything, really. I read this, from the source above, which seemed pretty clear.

Originally Posted by Velocipede:
"I asked. Nothing left. No plans to make more. They were a promo thing for media mainly. Unless I buy a case of bottles and have them screened here, looks like a no. Sorry."

Elite make limited edition bottles all the time.

makoti
07-21-2020, 11:20 AM

Thanks for trying. :beer:

Velocipede
07-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Umm... Dino, what is your deal? Why do you always have to comment on every post of mine?

And second, who said I wasn't allowed to make water bottles with the Campy logo? Did you every think maybe I can, legally?

Dino Suegiù
07-21-2020, 08:56 PM
Umm... Dino, what is your deal? Why do you always have to comment on every post of mine?

And second, who said I wasn't allowed to make water bottles with the Campy logo? Did you every think maybe I can, legally?

I am absolutely not going to...umm...hash anything out with you in public, too bad, even if you now feel like "calling me out".
Nor in private, via PM, because I do not at all like the prospects of that, seeing the various "NDA" etc., examples so far. No thank you.
So my "deal" (which does not actually involve myself in any business sense, trust me) will remain private, and my conviction about certain practices and treatments will remain the same, whether you like it or not. Do not fret: I am no past, current, nor future customer.

But, for here:
1) I certainly do not "always have to comment on every post" of yours. Nor do I do so, not even close. That's a bit melodramatic, really. :rolleyes:

2) I have absolutely no idea, and guessing/thinking about your legal options, etc., is definitely not my "deal": ARE you in fact allowed to make more of those bottles, exactly as Elite/Campagnolo did (same design, layout, colors, etc; which seemed to be your previous implication), with their explicit approval? If so, have at it.

thirdgenbird
07-21-2020, 09:03 PM
I am going to vote for gray bottles with an olive green shield logo and white bottles with a blue script logo.

Bici-Sonora
07-21-2020, 09:42 PM
Take my money

I’m in too

Velocipede
07-21-2020, 10:00 PM
I am absolutely not going to...umm...hash anything out with you in public, too bad, even if you now feel like "calling me out".
Nor in private, via PM, because I do not at all like the prospects of that, seeing the various "NDA" etc., examples so far. No thank you.
So my "deal" (which does not actually involve myself in any business sense, trust me) will remain private, and my conviction about certain practices and treatments will remain the same, whether you like it or not. Do not fret: I am no past, current, nor future customer.

But, for here:
1) I certainly do not "always have to comment on every post" of yours. Nor do I do so, not even close. That's a bit melodramatic, really. :rolleyes:

2) I have absolutely no idea, and guessing/thinking about your legal options, etc., is definitely not my "deal": ARE you in fact allowed to make more of those bottles, exactly as Elite/Campagnolo did (same design, layout, colors, etc; which seemed to be your previous implication), with their explicit approval? If so, have at it.

Funny given you called me out 3 times on 2 pages in the other Campy thread.

Dino Suegiù
07-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Funny given you called me out 3 times on 2 pages in the other Campy thread.

OK, now you are just embarrassing yourself.
You were completely wrong on 2 of those 3 "call-outs".

The thread you refer to is currently 12 pages long, comprising 171 replies.
Of those 171 replies, you posted 37 of them (38 replies total).
Of those 171 replies, I posted 8 of them.

3 of my 8 replies were specifically to you.
2 of those 3 replies were to your erroneous clams regarding Vittoria tires versus Vittoria shoes. So, yes, I "called out" your twice repeated misinformation, twice...too bad.
My other 1 reply to you, yes, mea culpa, I absolutely did indeed comment on your so defensive, "On a side note... clearly I'm not full of **** like some PM'ed to me...".* Too bad, once again.

Regardless, I would hope you would admit that, even using the fuzziest of math, my replying to you 3 times total (2 times completely correctly) to your 38 posts in 1 thread hardly qualifies as my commenting on your every post, per your absurd and ludicrous claim stated above as: "Dino, what is your deal? Why do you always have to comment on every post of mine?" :rolleyes: There are threads in which you have certainly posted multiple times, and in which I have not replied once, at all, to anyone let alone yourself.

So: really, now, I comment on every post of yours? Just stop, please.
But, you make up unsubstantiated bogus **** about me...yes, I will counter with the facts, as here.

(In fact, in that very same thread another member replied directly to you more times than I did, also "calling you out" for certain statements (overall and specifically). Maybe be more accurate in future, yeah? You are not a victim, except possibly of your own circumstance.)

*(And to be perfectly clear to others here, and which you are free to verify: I have never PM'd you, about any of these things.)

huck*this
07-22-2020, 04:58 AM
I’m in too

Same. Wonder how close to true Celeste color they are?

AngryScientist
07-22-2020, 08:16 AM
OK, now you are just embarrassing yourself.

[Long Rant Deleted]

This whole diatribe was completely un-necessary in this thread. Infraction awarded.

AngryScientist
07-22-2020, 08:17 AM
And just to pile on....

If Velocipede wants to make these happen - i'm in for a couple sets! The blue ones are beautiful!

shinomaster
07-22-2020, 01:03 PM
I'm down for the turquoise ones. Super Record bottles are pretty ugly.

Velocipede
07-22-2020, 10:17 PM
I spoke to Campy about buying a bunch premade. They are working on a price. I'll let you know what they say. Just so you know, one of the Campy guys says these bottle suck. I have never used them so I'm not sure. Anyone have any Elite Fly bottles? What are they like?

thirdgenbird
07-22-2020, 10:23 PM
I found some mixed reviews doing some searching.

Would there be objection to purist bottles? Not as cool looking, but a solid bottle.

Vientomas
07-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Purist w/ watergate valve +1

Seamus
07-22-2020, 10:35 PM
I actually switched over to Elite Fly Bottles from Purists as my preferred choice.

They do have a very elastic feel when squeezing the center that’s different from most bottles, due to the lighter weight. But no issues: fits cages, survived drops, don’t get particularly gunky, etc.

CyclingTips had a review on them I think.

Velocipede
07-22-2020, 10:54 PM
I found some mixed reviews doing some searching.

Would there be objection to purist bottles? Not as cool looking, but a solid bottle.

Purist w/ watergate valve +1

I actually switched over to Elite Fly Bottles from Purists as my preferred choice.

They do have a very elastic feel when squeezing the center that’s different from most bottles, due to the lighter weight. But no issues: fits cages, survived drops, don’t get particularly gunky, etc.

CyclingTips had a review on them I think.

I've never used them. The Campy guys didn't like the screw on caps and the spout. Elite makes the bottle for the SR cage/bottle combo, so I'm not surprised they use Elite for these.

The Purist ones, not used those either but I can check into them. My guess is Campy is going to want to use Elite for the ones from them.

I'll wait to hear from them first before I figure out what to do. I just posted it cause I'd never used the Fly ones before and a bunch of people asked about getting bottles.

fignon's barber
07-23-2020, 06:04 AM
Just so you know, one of the Campy guys says these bottle suck. I have never used them so I'm not sure. Anyone have any Elite Fly bottles? What are they like?

I've been using the Fly bottles for the last few months. One of my bikes has Elite carbon cages, so you have to use Elite bottles because Elite bottles'cages are a couple mm smaller than the industry standard and other bottles don't fit.
The Fly's are a bit "unique". Weight virtually nothing. Very very soft, so much so that they loose their roundness when empty. They are so soft that you can almost blast down the contents of a full bottle in one squeeze. They are so thin I wouldn't put them in a dishwasher. On the bike, they work well. For this project, I would suggest the older Elite model, the Corsa:

g00se
07-23-2020, 07:21 AM
I've got some Flys. I do like them but they won't last long. Fine in the dishwasher. If your bottle cages are dirty, they'll scratch up really quickly as the plastic is so soft.

The screw on top is fine, the spout is huge and you can get a lot of liquid out really quickly. (But don't lend one to your young daughter to chew - as if the top goes out of shape, it wont hold water).

If you can get hold of the branded campag ones, keep them for the cafe runs.

Velocipede
07-23-2020, 01:24 PM
I've been using the Fly bottles for the last few months. One of my bikes has Elite carbon cages, so you have to use Elite bottles because Elite bottles'cages are a couple mm smaller than the industry standard and other bottles don't fit.
The Fly's are a bit "unique". Weight virtually nothing. Very very soft, so much so that they loose their roundness when empty. They are so soft that you can almost blast down the contents of a full bottle in one squeeze. They are so thin I wouldn't put them in a dishwasher. On the bike, they work well. For this project, I would suggest the older Elite model, the Corsa:

They still offer the Corsa bottles. Just not as many options. Not sure why. But the Corsa is the one Campy uses for the Super Record cage/bottle combo. I'm betting the cost is more on the Corsa which is why they used the Fly for the promo ones.

thirdgenbird
07-23-2020, 01:39 PM
I would take limited options over a thin bottle.