PDA

View Full Version : Another irrational desire - to ride a Pegoretti

tv_vt
07-19-2020, 08:53 PM
To paraphrase Clean39T here...

I have an irrational desire to ride a Pegoretti - a Duende or Responsorium...

58 or 59cm size, please.

I do know why. I have seen too many stunning versions of these bikes, and have read too many reviews. Not all of them are positive either. But there you go. I don't have room for one. I have two frames with Falz forks now - a Zanc aluminum and a Parlee carbon. How much different would a steel frame paired with the same fork feel? Same fork, three different materials, what do you think?

Everyone says the handling and ride is the best of the best. I've been intrigued by these frames for years.

A source (that will remain unidentified ;)) has a Duende and a Responsorium that are in my size range. One sizing issue is that with the level top tube, a 59 would have few stem spacers, but not much post showing; while the 58 would have more stem spacers but a bit more seatpost showing, which looks nice.

That's all.

FlashUNC
07-19-2020, 09:10 PM
Respo was such a unique, fantastic bike while I had it. Big big fan of whatever the Pegoretti secret sauce is.

Peter P.
07-20-2020, 06:08 AM
Bike handling isn't alchemy, and no one has a lock on some secret geometry that outshines all the others.

In the end, I think it's the art that propels the Pegoretti mystique. I see nothing wrong with that; Dario gave his frames something appealing that most other brands don't have.

So don't expect a magical ride. Expect the frame to appeal to your aesthetics, and make all other cyclists jealous.

OtayBW
07-20-2020, 06:30 AM
I don't know about magic carpet ride, but I liked the handling of my respo immediately in the 1st 1/4 mi of the 1st ride. I bought it used, so of course the choice of aesthetic was limited by that, but it was - and is - the ride that keeps me on it.

kohagen
07-20-2020, 06:44 AM
If you ever find one of these to ride, could we coordinate a day where we could both ride it? I'll drive over to you.

thwart
07-20-2020, 06:59 AM
So don't expect a magical ride. Expect the frame to appeal to your aesthetics, and make all other cyclists jealous.

I would humbly disagree. My Duende is the best frameset I've ever been on, aesthetics aside... and I've ridden a few.

Magical? No, but close enough. :banana:

rallizes
07-20-2020, 07:16 AM
Bike handling isn't alchemy, and no one has a lock on some secret geometry that outshines all the others.

In the end, I think it's the art that propels the Pegoretti mystique. I see nothing wrong with that; Dario gave his frames something appealing that most other brands don't have.

Do you think the fact that Dario built frames for a number of pro cyclists might be a factor?

wallymann
07-20-2020, 07:31 AM
something about dario's mystique draws me in like it does with lots of folks, but his geo just doesnt work for me..tall HT (fixable) and slack STA (not fixable) just put them on the "unworkable" list.

pjbaz
07-20-2020, 08:29 AM
I would humbly disagree. My Duende is the best frameset I've ever been on, aesthetics aside... and I've ridden a few.

Magical? No, but close enough. :banana:

I prefer my Mxxxxxo to the Duende, but they're both badass

FlashUNC
07-20-2020, 09:01 AM

That's 90% of the appeal of Pegs. Maybe you get there because of the paint work, but you stick around because the ride is sublime. A Respo is unlike any other steel bike out there, and I'd wager the Marcelo and Duende are in the same camp.