PDA

View Full Version : Panaracer Sealsmart Sealant - no thanks

EB
07-19-2020, 07:17 PM
Usually I swear by Stans and Orange Seal, but based on Jan Heine’s recommendations I thought I’d give this stuff a try.

Needless to say, I will be sticking to Stans and Orange Seal. It’s dramatically more viscous than either of those sealants - in particular, attempting to put in the sealant via the valve stem resulted in the sealant completely clogging and then sealing the valve stem, something I’ve never seen happen with Stans or OS. At that point the tire didn’t have enough sealant in it and couldn’t be inflated, due to the sealed valve. Had to pull the tire off the rim bead, with the resulting huge mess, just to get access to the stem so that I could flush it out.

It’s possible that I just had bad luck, but I can’t recommend this product.

nmrt
07-19-2020, 07:27 PM
when i refill my tires with stans through the valve stem, i always get a clogged valve stem.

MikeD
07-19-2020, 07:48 PM
Never with Orange Seal. Why not just shove a nail or drill bit in the stem to clear it?

Jaybee
07-19-2020, 08:42 PM
I haven’t used the Panaracer product, but I usually use my air compressor (or just a pump would work) to blow air through the valve stem after I inject sealant but before I put the valve core back in. I also use a 100mL syringe with a 4” plastic “needle” to inject the sealant way into the tire so it never gets close to the valve stem.

Orange Seal works great though, can’t see a reason to work around the extra hurdles caused by this product.

HenryA
07-19-2020, 08:47 PM
Did you remove the valve core? I’ve never had clogging through either a presta or schraeder stem with the core removed. If you have chunks big enough to clog those holes, you have a problem with your sealant.

ColonelJLloyd
07-19-2020, 08:47 PM
I also use a 100mL syringe with a 4” plastic “needle” to inject the sealant way into the tire so it never gets close to the valve stem.

Orange Seal works great though, can’t see a reason to work around the extra hurdles caused by this product.

+1 If it ain't broke. . .

The reason Rene Herse sells the Panaracer product isn't because Orange Seal isn't up to snuff.

oldfatslow
07-19-2020, 09:07 PM
Panaracer is the contract tire manufacturer for Rene Herse. I love my new Snoqualmie Pass TC Endurance +.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

many_styles
07-20-2020, 01:27 AM
Pretty much what the Road.cc said. Good sealant, but fussy to use.

I have a set of Rene Herse and bought a bottle of the Panaracer sealant. I’ll be letting a shop set my wheel set tubeless, but eventually I’ll need figure a method to fill the tire without too much fuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
07-20-2020, 06:39 AM

The reason Rene Herse sells the Panaracer product isn't because Orange Seal isn't up to snuff.

:banana:

MikeD
07-20-2020, 09:43 AM

It's more like their tires aren't up to snuff for tubeless use. They have weak beads and porous casings. They're better when used with tubes.

ryker
07-20-2020, 09:51 AM

Didn’t RH formerly recommend Orange Seal because Stan’s wasn’t “up to snuff”?

I’ve tried three sealants with RH tires and concluded the tires themselves are not tubeless-compatible in the way I’ve come to expect. Nice tires with tubes though.

ColonelJLloyd
07-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Didn’t RH formerly recommend Orange Seal because Stan’s wasn’t “up to snuff”?

I believe so (as Compass), yes.

It's more like their tires aren't up to snuff for tubeless use. They have weak beads and porous casings. They're better when used with tubes.

I’ve tried three sealants with RH tires and concluded the tires themselves are not tubeless-compatible in the way I’ve come to expect. Nice tires with tubes though.

There are too many anecdotes out there to argue people have legit issues. But, I can say that my particular experience with Switchback Hill EL and Bon Jon EL tires setup tubeless with Orange Seal has been as good as any tubeless tire I've used. So, sure, some people have issues. But, plenty of people are happily putting miles on Compass/RH tubeless setups.

R3awak3n
07-20-2020, 10:18 AM
I have had RH set up with orange seal, they have like 1500 miles and have been flawless. I also have some compass bon jons and they have been fine as well... the rear was giving me problems and then realized just needed more sealant.

All of these are non extralight, I think most people that have problems are on the extra lights.

I have thougth about trying the panaracer sealant but I really like Orange Seal, this stuff is amazing. Coming from Stans its not on the same league.

EB
07-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Oh damn, good call out on road.cc - I should have read this review before trying it. This reviewer had the exact same experience that I did: https://road.cc/content/review/270731-panaracer-seal-smart-sealant

Orange Seal for lyfe.