PDA

View Full Version : Some wheel and bike advice needed

ridethecliche
07-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been on paceline since I was in college and got a bunch of help when I needed some parts for the then caad9 race bike. Now 12 years and two back surgeries later, I've started riding again for fun and exercise and holy moly did i miss it!

I sold my caad9 for peanuts last fall, I guess I should have waited for the prices to jump like they did how haha.

In any event, I ended up buying a used AL ghost nivolet with 105 5800 and got some nice AL clinchers for it. Also ended up buying some used Williams carbon clinchers which are in pretty great condition, but I have yet to use them at all. I've owned a 1984 trek 760 since college that was in ssfg mode and recently swapped the 5800 from the ghost to the trek and built the ghost up with new 105 r7000.

I'm enjoying the trek way more than I thought I would and I was semi debating reverting the ghost to 5800 and selling that as well as the carbon wheels and putting the money towards a fund for a bike with disc brakes with clearance for slightly wider tires. The trek will likely only clear 28s. Maybe 30-32 if I get the chainstays dimpled but I don't want to damage the frame so I'd likely take it to bilenky here in Philly.

I've seen some really nice bikes for sale on a few forums that would check off the boxes I'm looking for. Hopefully something steel... Who knows!

So any input? Are the discs actually that big of an improvement to merit changing things around?

A) Enjoy what you have and run the carbon wheels because why not?
B) Enjoy what you have, but sell the carbon wheels and pick up another set of the psimet alloy wheels you seem to like so much. Pocket the difference!
C) Sell both the wheels and the ghost and get something with discs!

kohagen
07-19-2020, 01:26 PM
I hope this doesn't start another disc brake/rim brake discussion.

ridethecliche
07-19-2020, 01:45 PM

They each have their pros and cons and in the end only I can decide. Any link to that thread? I can go look there and ignore that question here.

I thought discs were about it these days for wider tires

gbcoupe
07-19-2020, 03:23 PM

Didn't you read? He's already had discs break!

ridethecliche, happy you're back in the saddle.

gbcoupe
07-19-2020, 03:46 PM
Anyway, back on topic. I have limited experience with discs (only my winter bike). They do work better in wet conditions. Otherwise, not any better or worse than rim brakes for the riding I do. Discs might give you more options for wider tires.

I would look for a frame that fits you, your budget and the size tires you want. Brake type would be secondary.

ridethecliche
07-19-2020, 04:31 PM
That's part of the problem actually.... I'm not really sure what I'm looking for because I don't really know what I want. Right now I guess I like the idea of having the option of having wider tires on the road.

I just measured the clearance on the ghost and it should clear 28s without an issue. I weigh about 170 and the bike is 18 with cages and pedals so loaded up I don't really have to run high pressures even on 25s...maybe like 80-90F/90-100R.

Maybe I'll try out the Williams carbon wheels on the ghost tomorrow and see if that changes my mind re keeping things?

uber
07-19-2020, 06:43 PM
Wow! There is so much passion with bikes and no clear right or wrong. Trying out different equipment for yourself might be the only way. In my personal experience, an aero carbon bike willl be a bit faster, electronic shifting (Di2) is perfect, and disc seems to be the future- better braking in the wet, and great modulation. But, I still favor a steel bike with carbon tubulars. I don't care that it isn't as fast, I don't do much riding in the rain, and mechanical shifting really is good enough for what I do. Try as many bikes as you can and decide.

Robot870
07-19-2020, 06:58 PM
I just went from 60 psi in a tubless set up back to GP5000's with tubes at 100psi and love it for now.......Experiment as much as you can then settle on what feels good/fun for you.

ridethecliche
07-19-2020, 07:56 PM
The carbon clinchers I have actually have gp4000 or 5000 mounted. I think I'm going to they're a cassette on there tonight and try them tomorrow evening.

I guess my reasoning for this was that my 84 trek already serves as a decent road bike. With low priced bikes selling for a good amount right now, I could probably stand to get what I paid used for the ghost if not a bit more (with the tube up & newer cables and fd/rd). Same goes for the wheels since I'll likely break even on them. It would be a bit of work for me to swap all the parts over between the two bikes but it would only take an afternoon since I don't have to touch the derailleurs.
Unfortunately the cable and housing lengths will be different but it is what it is. There's no way I'd sell that bike with a brand new group on it though haha.

I guess my budget would be in the 2k or so range.

The other part of me thinks that I spent 2 weeks without a running bike because of all this building shenanigans t so maybe not again lol.

I guess I just don't think id get anything close to the price things are going for if I waited till say next year. There's also nothing keeping me from leaving everything as is and enjoying it. I guess I like tinkering too much lol.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2020, 06:54 AM
Now 12 years and two back surgeries later, I've started riding again for fun and exercise and holy moly did i miss it!

At least for now, ride what ya got, sell nothing. Use 28mm tires if they fit, lower the PSI, and go ride..make sure this is what you want to return to long term before you go all in with a disc brake bike.

Maybe I'll try out the Williams carbon wheels on the ghost tomorrow and see if that changes my mind re keeping things?

Viola!!

ridethecliche
07-20-2020, 08:42 AM
https://i.imgur.com/heGpp8A.jpg

That actually looks better than I thought it would!

If I end up keeping things, I'll likely take the stickers off. I definitely need to get a better pump mount for under the cages or such. Might get a smaller pump for this bike. I've had this road morph for 14 years!

Weighs about 18 lbs without any crazy weenie parts other than the carbon post and lightweight skewers on the other wheels (both bought used from a friend).

Currently the bikes both have 25s on them which I have a few of but I might look into the 28s in the future. 25s should feel cushy on the steel trek! I need to get another 11-32 cassette though. I had to swap things over last night to set up the carbon wheels.

I've never ridden carbon wheels before so this should be fun. Just have to remember to swap on the Reynolds pads that I have so I don't obliterate the brake tracks!

Re: buying more stuff

I just finished grad school last year so I guess spending 2k on a bike right now even after wheeling and dealing is a bit sub optimal...

Hilltopperny
07-20-2020, 09:12 AM
I would try out the 25s at a little lower pressure first. That is what I am riding on my Alchemy and have not had any issues and I am heavy. If you feel you need more comfort and can fit a 28 then go for it.

As far as disc brakes vs rim brakes go that is extremely subjective. Disc brakes are heavier with more that can go wrong with hydraulic discs, but the stopping power is extremely good. I have them on my mountain bike and gravel bike and they work great. Both of my road bikes are still rim brake. They are two pounds lighter than my gravel bike and stop me without any issue on any of the rides I take them on.

I personally prefer my road bikes to have rim brakes after trying a couple of disc brake roadies over the years. The fork required for discs is typically stiffer and more overbuilt than a rim brake bike. One of the pluses of discs is that you will not wear out the brake track and have to replace the rim. Replace the rotors and pads on discs and your wheels will last for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robot870
07-20-2020, 09:18 AM
https://i.imgur.com/heGpp8A.jpg

That actually looks better than I thought it would!

If I end up keeping things, I'll likely take the stickers off. I definitely need to get a better pump mount for under the cages or such. Might get a smaller pump for this bike. I've had this road morph for 14 years!

Weighs about 18 lbs without any crazy weenie parts other than the carbon post and lightweight skewers on the other wheels (both bought used from a friend).

Currently the bikes both have 25s on them which I have a few of but I might look into the 28s in the future. 25s should feel cushy on the steel trek! I need to get another 11-32 cassette though. I had to swap things over last night to set up the carbon wheels.

I've never ridden carbon wheels before so this should be fun. Just have to remember to swap on the Reynolds pads that I have so I don't obliterate the brake tracks!

Re: buying more stuff

I just finished grad school last year so I guess spending 2k on a bike right now even after wheeling and dealing is a bit sub optional...
Bike looks great! Save your money and ride the crap out of that thing - You will need some cash for repairs and tires down the road! Best of luck!!!

ridethecliche
07-21-2020, 12:06 AM
I feel like this is going to be a cliche post but...

I recently PRed a 35 mile route on the trek, well today I beat that on the ghost with the aero wheels on it.

My front brakes were squealing bloody murder though, but I think that's because it turns out that they were adjusted too high. Hopefully didn't do any damage to the rim but i think it's fine. Gonna recheck them tomorrow.

These wheels are Purdy dang fast! Oh and half of it was a night ride with lights. Been in the mid 90s here during the day so I'm going to stay trying to venture out between 7-7:30 Pm if I can swing it.