PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo crank based power meters

Mark McM
07-18-2020, 05:41 PM
I've got a bike with a Campagnolo group, and I'd like to get a crank based power meter for it. There are a few companies I've found that make Campagnolo based power meters (SRM, Power2Max, Stages), but here's the thing: I've moved to 165mm cranks, and I haven't been able to find any 165mm Campagnolo crank power meters.

So, anybody know of any Campagnolo crank based power meters that are available in 165mm?

Just in case anyone asks:
Why a crank power meter? I've already got a few pairs of wheels for this bike, and some of them are pre-built, so it is not really practical to rebuild wheels or find similar pre-built wheels with power meters. I'm also dedicated to the free float in Speedplay pedals, and there are no pedals with power meters built in.

Why do they need to be Campagnolo crank based? Not only would that keep the cranks matchy-matchy with the rest of the drivetrain, but few cranks have the same low Q-factor (145.5mm) and U-Factor (128mm) of Campagnolo cranks, and I prefer cranks as narrow as I can find them. But if are other power meter cranks with similar widths, I could be open to them.

weiwentg
07-18-2020, 06:01 PM
Stages or 4iiii factory install could be an option. The problem is, Stages only depicts the 11s Record and SR crankarms on their site, and we don’t know what crank model you have. Moreover, they’re backed up for an unknown period. 4iiii only lists compatibility with Potenza cranks.

Presumably you know about the existence of a few decent Look-based pedal systems, and you aren’t open to them because you would have said so.

I’m racking my brains, but I fear that by specifying Campagnolo and power, you’ve already limited your choice set substantially, and specifying 165mm cranks further limits it given Campy’s carbon arms and relatively niche market share. I intend to switch to 165mm arms myself, and I already have some trouble finding just the plain 165mm Shimano cranks. It doesn’t seem like a common arm length, although maybe it should be.

ergott
07-18-2020, 06:04 PM
SRM Origin in aluminium is available in 165.

http://www.srm.de/product/powermeters/origin-road/

uber
07-18-2020, 06:09 PM
Or just put a Powertap hub on the rear wheel. Bombproof.

thirdgenbird
07-18-2020, 06:16 PM

I dig the look of that with Miche rings. It looks like a great match to a pair of ee brakes.

RoosterCogset
07-18-2020, 06:19 PM
As mentioned.. yeah it's not clear what would be wrong with a pedal-based system. Running Speedplays or something?

Mark McM
07-18-2020, 08:41 PM

This is definitely a possibility if a Campagnolo crank based power meter isn't available. In that case, there are a number of other possibilities as well.

Or just put a Powertap hub on the rear wheel. Bombproof.

As I mentioned, I use multiple wheel sets with this bike, and some of them are pre-builts which may not be able to re-built around a power meter.

As mentioned.. yeah it's not clear what would be wrong with a pedal-based system. Running Speedplays or something?

Yes, I'm using Speedplays, as I indicated.

Stages or 4iiii factory install could be an option. The problem is, Stages only depicts the 11s Record and SR crankarms on their site, and we don’t know what crank model you have. Moreover, they’re backed up for an unknown period. 4iiii only lists compatibility with Potenza cranks.

A little bit of checking indicates that the Stages pre-installed Campagnolo power meters are not available in 170mm, but I could probably have them install it on my own 165mm crankarm. However, one downside is that it appears that Stages only do single sided power meters for Campagnolo cranks, and one of the reasons I want a power meter is to work on a right/left power imbalance.

However, looking at the 4iiii units, it looks like they have a solution that checks all the boxes. They have a program where they can install a dual sided power system on a customer's own Campagnolo cranks, Unfortunately, the only Campagnolo model they list that comes in 165mm is 12spd Super Record cranks, and I currently have Record 12pd cranks. I'm going to contact them to see if there is a reason they can't do Record 12spd (they do list Record 11spd). But, if they can only do Super Record, then I'll see if I can come up with the money to upgrade my cranks.

Thank you for pointing me toward possible solution.

I’m racking my brains, but I fear that by specifying Campagnolo and power, you’ve already limited your choice set substantially, and specifying 165mm cranks further limits it given Campy’s carbon arms and relatively niche market share. I intend to switch to 165mm arms myself, and I already have some trouble finding just the plain 165mm Shimano cranks. It doesn’t seem like a common arm length, although maybe it should be.

Yeah, I'm not looking for something that is truly impossible; every feature I've specified is individually currently available, so its not like the manufacturers couldn't produce a product with all these features if they wanted to. But as you say, they probably find it too niche to produce this particular combination. It's as if one of the axioms of designing bicycle products is:

"Don't fit the customer to the bike, fit the bike to the customer. Unless its not convenient, then fit the customer to the bike."

ergott
07-18-2020, 09:42 PM
This is definitely a possibility if a Campagnolo crank based power meter isn't available. In that case, there are a number of other possibilities as well.

Does Campagnolo make a 165mm crank? I wonder if you could contact SRM and ask if they'll convert a 165mm crank as some sort of special order.

Mark McM
07-18-2020, 10:21 PM
Does Campagnolo make a 165mm crank? I wonder if you could contact SRM and ask if they'll convert a 165mm crank as some sort of special order.

For the past number of years, the only 165mm cranks Campagnolo offered were Centaur Power Torque cranks. But 165mm cranks are now available in all 12spd groups (Chorus, Record and. Super Record). The bike I'm looking to put a power meter on currently has 12spd Record 165mm cranks.

SRM and Power2Max Campagnolo power meter cranks use a special carbon right crank without an integral spider. Each company builds their own power meter spider and attaches it to the crank arm. I doubt Camapagnolo would make this special right crank arm as a special order for a single customer.

jpang922
07-18-2020, 10:57 PM
I remember seeing someone putting a Favero Assioma spindle into a speedplay pedal body. Couldn't find it at the moment but here's a relevant Trainerroad thread on making an SPD version: https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/a-wild-idea-for-favero-assioma-pedals/18627/23

Edit: found the weight weenies post: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148289&start=420#p1572233

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/download/file.php?id=82429&mode=view

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/download/file.php?id=82428&mode=view

glepore
07-19-2020, 05:41 AM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I've got 2 Quarq's on SR11 groups-the crankarms strip easily, and you can get excellent Campy crankarm decals from Speedy Decals. Cover with clear, and voila.

superbowlpats
07-19-2020, 06:21 AM
However, one downside is that it appears that Stages only do single sided power meters for Campagnolo cranks, and one of the reasons I want a power meter is to work on a right/left power imbalance.

"

Mark, curious as to why / how you would work on right/left power balance. I have that data from my PMs but other than looking at it and saying hmm that's interesting, not sure how i could ever really change the balance and if that would really do anything. I'm typically 48/52 R/L but on really hard efforts more like 45/55%

R3awak3n
07-19-2020, 07:28 AM
with all the meter we are talking about, from my understanding, stages for campy (1 side), SRM and p2m you will not get proper left and right power. I know that they estimate left and right (p2m) and you will not get a true left/right balance.

For that you need to go pedal based or something like rotor 2inpower or I guess stages with the little pod on both sides which does not exist for campy.

I know you want to stick with speedplay but I recently switch from a power2max and a powertap (they were both excellent I have to say but I wanted to use a different set of wheels and did not want to buy yet another crank meter so I sold the Powertap and the p2m which were on 2 different bikes and got a set of powertap P1 pedals. I was concerned about switching because I really love my SPDSL pedals with 2degree cleats which do not exist for the P1 pedals but now I am on 6 degree cleats and have to say I have been happy so far, took me a ride to get used to the new pedals and now I can clip and unclip and its so easy to move from bike to bike. I understand that going from speedplay is a little more complicated because of of dual side clipping have being able to choose float)

trener1
07-19-2020, 07:30 AM
But...
Have you looked at infocrank? are any of theirs Campy compatible?
https://vervecycling.com/compare-models/

What about FSA?.

Mark McM
07-19-2020, 10:00 AM
Mark, curious as to why / how you would work on right/left power balance. I have that data from my PMs but other than looking at it and saying hmm that's interesting, not sure how i could ever really change the balance and if that would really do anything. I'm typically 48/52 R/L but on really hard efforts more like 45/55%

As you say, not everybody is perfectly symmetric, and people often have a few percent difference in power between legs. In most cases, the balance is what it is, and is just part of their natural physiology. I've used a power meter crank on another bike (this crank won't easily fit on this new bike), and I found that my power balance is getting more uneven over the past year or two. I'd like to get to the bottom of what's going on, to make sure there isn't something wrong.

Mark McM
07-19-2020, 10:09 AM
with all the meter we are talking about, from my understanding, stages for campy (1 side), SRM and p2m you will not get proper left and right power. I know that they estimate left and right (p2m) and you will not get a true left/right balance.

For that you need to go pedal based or something like rotor 2inpower or I guess stages with the little pod on both sides which does not exist for campy

It is true that spider based power meters, like SRM and Power2Max, can not give true power balance, but they can get pretty close. Their built-in rotation sensor know whether the right or left crank is descending, so they assume that the majority of the power is from the right leg when the right crank is descending, and the majority of the power is from the left leg when the left leg is descending. This isn't exact, but its a pretty good approximation.

However, as was suggested by weiwentg above, 4iiii has solution for Campagnolo cranks with power pod on each crank, for true right/left power balance.

lverma
08-19-2020, 08:41 PM
SRM use to make a Dura Ace 10sp crankset in 165mm

maxim809
09-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Snip

Hi Mark, did you end up making a decision or are you still exploring your options?

I'm in a near identical situation as you, and while searching for viable options I ran across this thread. Wondering where you are at with this and if anything new came about. :)

In my case:
165mm
Campy
strong desire for dual-side PM

In my scenario I don't have requirements on Speed Plays, which opens me to Garmin Vectors or Favero Assioma's. However, I have a soft desire to minimize weight so I was exploring crank-based power meters that were compatible with Campy-165, and thus I wanted to know if you were farther along with one of these alternative paths.

Mark McM
09-02-2020, 03:21 PM
Hi Mark, did you end up making a decision or are you still exploring your options?

I'm in a near identical situation as you, and while searching for viable options I ran across this thread. Wondering where you are at with this and if anything new came about. :)

In my case:
165mm
Campy
strong desire for dual-side PM

In my scenario I don't have requirements on Speed Plays, which opens me to Garmin Vectors or Favero Assioma's. However, I have a soft desire to minimize weight so I was exploring crank-based power meters that were compatible with Campy-165, and thus I wanted to know if you were farther along with one of these alternative paths.

Unfortunately, my search came to naught. While there are Campagnolo crank based power meters, none met the needs for my bike. I found two types of Campagnolo crank based power sensors: One type used a sensor mounted on the spider, and the other type used a sensor mounted on the face(s) of one or both crankarms.

Spider sensor models are available from SRM and Power2Max. These use special detachable spider crankarms produced by Campagnolo, and then the power meter manufacturer attaches their own spider to the cranks. Unfortunately, it appears that Campagnolo does not provide these special crankarms in 165mm (only 170mm and longer), so I couldn't use these.

Crankarm mounted sensor models are available from Stages and 4iiii. These can either be bought as cranks with pre-installed sensors, or they can install sensors on customer provided cranks. Both can use aluminum or carbon cranks. Stages does only single sided (non-driveside crank only) sensors for Campagnolo cranks, while 4iiii can also does dual sided (both drive and non-drive side crank) sensors. Unfortunately for me, the sensors require a minimum of 10mm clearance between crank and frame, and on my bike, there was only about 7mm of clearance on the non-driveside, so I couldn't use these power meters either.

So, I ended up using a non-Campagnolo crank power meter on this bike. I found some 165mm SRAM Force 22 cranks (these have a detachable spider), and installed an SRAM compatible Power2Max power meter spider.

Maybe you'll get lucky, and your frame has clearance for the Stages or 4iiii crankarm based power meters.

parallelfish
09-02-2020, 04:07 PM
I had the same issue - Campagnolo cranks and Speedplay pedals with few options available. My solution was to go with the PowerPod. Can move it between bikes. No worries regarding crank, hub and pedal compatibility. A Left/Right option is available.

It has worked well for me.

maxim809
09-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Snip.

Thanks for sharing! Very thorough. Being only a few days into this hunt myself, your details reinforced the hunch I started developing that it was gonna be tough to hit all the checkboxes and something was going to have to give.

I had also learned about the 4iiii clearance requirements, and waiting on my frame set to arrive to take some measurements. I'm willing to jump through hoops and taking longer to make things work, but it's looking like pedal-based may end up being the best recourse for me.

merckxman
04-26-2022, 06:39 AM
Campagnolo files patent application for power meter:
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/campagnolo-power-meter-could-be-way-292211

jpritchet74
04-26-2022, 08:26 AM
Campagnolo files patent application for power meter:
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/campagnolo-power-meter-could-be-way-292211

Seems like a silly thing to do now that there are so many options out there - especially the pedal based options which allow the use of the existing gorgeous Campagnolo cranksets.

I hope to see the day that Campagnolo EPS goes wireless.