PDA

View Full Version : PowerTap user Qs

92degrees
01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I got the PowerTap set up over the weekend with the help of the LBS. Cool stuff but I've never seen a product with a poorer user's manual. Ever. Did a little shakedown this afternoon and have some questions.

Is the unit supposed to "wake" when you start to ride, or do you have to manually wake the unit by hitting buttons?

Occasionally the watts display disappears and I just get dashes? Why?

Those are the two big mysteries right now. Thanks.

wanderingwheel
01-29-2007, 07:12 PM
You must manually turn the computer on before your ride by pushing either button. Also, the computer will turn off if you've been stopped for more than a few minutes, so check it after your longer breaks.

The dashes mean that the computer is not receiving data from the hub. Some problems that can cause this are poor placement of the antenna on the seat or chain stay, no vibration dampener under the antenna, and local interference. Depending on your hub and receiver, there are different distances that work best, but usually mounting the antenna as close to the hub as possible is a good option. Check also for the proper alignment between the antenna and the hub (perpendicular to the hub, not angled in any direction). For many people, simply better isolating the antenna from frame vibrations by a thicker piece of rubber under the antenna solved the problem.

DGMcGinty
01-30-2007, 06:35 AM
You are right about the manule. Made by engineers, not users. There is an improved manual on Cyclops web site. Also there is a light weight "training with power" Program by Alan Lim on the site.

The other condition that will give you --- on the watts is if the computer head is set up to start receving data when it detects a heart rate first instead of from the hub. That fuction is there so the head can be used as a stand alone heart rate monitor.

David

92degrees
01-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys. I'll mess around with those suggestions tonight. The sender on the seatstay is parallel to the hub and I don’t think there’s much vibration on the trainer, but I’ll try to make some tweaks.