PDA

View Full Version : Zwift while traveling?

JohnnyBoston
07-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Does anyone have experience trying to zwift with power meter pedals installed on a hotel stationary bike?

When I move on to my next profession I expect to be traveling by air, 2 weeks at a time.

In my mind PM pedals transmitting to an ipad or laptop should work ok. I would have to control resistance by whatever means on the bike itself.

A small tool kit to change any type of pedals I might encounter.

Anyone ever tried something like this? What am I not thinking about?

RonW87
07-16-2020, 04:36 PM
I've thought about this but not done it. I've certainly used my powertap pedals on rental bikes when I've traveled to cycle. I would have thought pedal wrench (metric and imperial) and allen keys and you're good. (and maybe do it a bit stealthy because the gym manager might not be super pleased.) Pedal wrench means might need to check your baggage.

Also, for cyclists, exercise bicycles often have saddles that are super uncomfortable. If you can swing it, install your own saddle too.

JohnnyBoston
07-19-2020, 02:48 PM
Yes you're right. The saddle is going to be bad, and I can't imagine changing it.

I would have to accept some compromises in my position on the bike as well.

Both of those things would normally be a deal breaker for me, but it's ride the spin bike or nothing.

I'm hoping it's better than not riding at all. And I'm hoping to not get caught switching the pedals back and forth! :)

R3awak3n
07-19-2020, 03:04 PM
sounds like a LOT of work. Why not bring the bike? Get a bag like the post carry or something like that. This way you don't have to always stay inside and can go out and explore.

Before Covid I was in the cayman islands and went and used the gym bike a couple of times and oh boy, was that bike a piece of shiité. I can't imagine doing zwift or any interval exercise on that thing for more than 15 minutes. Now don't get me wrong, some hotels might have nicer bikes, you might even get lucky and get a hotel with a stages bike or a peleton.

GonaSovereign
07-19-2020, 06:28 PM
Running shoes.

I travel a lot and like to ride a lot. Packing a bike is annoying at best and impossible with some travel. Hotel gyms suck. I do like your idea, but gave up on hotel gyms after a while b/c most are terrible. YMMV.
I do core work in my hotel room and run if I can motivate myself.

JohnnyBoston
07-20-2020, 07:55 AM
Traveling for work with a bike just ain't gonna cut it. I've even thought about a micro folding bike. As far as I know there is no bike small enough to be carry on.

Running...Man, I don't like running. But I have done it in the past.

I feel like running keeps cycling fitness better than cycling keeps running fitness, but I'm not too experienced with it.

trener1
07-20-2020, 09:01 AM
I think it depends if it's a basic exercise bike or a spin bike.
Yeah I would say a exercise bike will not be fun at all. but you can get a pretty good ride on a good spin bike.
I used to use the spin bikes at my gym at felt like you could do a decent r ide on them, bonus is that the had some bikes with spd pedals.

R3awak3n
07-20-2020, 09:14 AM
Traveling for work with a bike just ain't gonna cut it. I've even thought about a micro folding bike. As far as I know there is no bike small enough to be carry on.

Running...Man, I don't like running. But I have done it in the past.

I feel like running keeps cycling fitness better than cycling keeps running fitness, but I'm not too experienced with it.

actually you can carry on bromptons...

https://ashburnbicyclerepair.com/brompton-as-carry-on-luggage/

I know some airlines you don't even have to have it in the bag

C40_guy
07-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Pedal wrench means might need to check your baggage.

That's correct. I lost a really nice pedal wrench to TSA years ago.

Maybe you can find a "compact" pedal wrench that wouldn't violate their size guidelines...

Black Dog
07-20-2020, 05:45 PM
Zwift has become a parallel universe. Soon there will be zwift forums like thezwiftpaceline.skynet. Anyone who doubts the reach and scope of social media is living in a cave (real not virtual). ;)