PDA

View Full Version : Moving from SRAM to Campy 11 speed?

blantonator
07-16-2020, 03:53 PM
It's time to move my SRAM 10 speed groupset to 11 speed and I'm looking at both SRAM 11 speed and Campy Chorus 11 speed and plan on using shimano cassettes as they will still fit my freewheel. I've not used Campy previously, just Shimano and SRAM, but wanted to see how people compare 11 speed SRAM, which is a bit cheaper than 11 speed Campy Chorus.

Thanks!

rnhood
07-16-2020, 03:57 PM
I would stick with Shimano. Best group out there imho. But if the choice did not include Shimano, I would go with Campy without thinking twice, even if it cost twice what sram cost.

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 04:02 PM
My likely bias answer is go Campagnolo. I think Chorus 11 is going to be one of those groups that remains a classic similar to record 10 and 9000.

My preference would be 2015+ shifters and derailleurs with pre-15 cranks and brakes but you really can’t go wrong with any of it.

blantonator
07-16-2020, 04:02 PM
I would stick with Shimano. Best group out there imho. But if the choice did not include Shimano, I would go with Campy without thinking twice, even if it cost twice what sram cost.

Maybe I should have been more clear, I am not interested in Shimano. The ergo's and shifting mechanism of the mechanical groups don't jive with me. I've had good success with Red shifters and Rival derailleurs for a decade on SRAM, but something a bit more refined with better front derailleur shifting would be nice.

schwa86
07-16-2020, 04:17 PM
I did this. SRAM 10 to campy 11, shimano cassette. WAYYYY better. Prefer the hoods, love the thumb shifter, and the paddle shift lever doesn’t randomly snap off in the middle of 60 mile ride.

donevwil
07-16-2020, 04:38 PM
If you're looking at a new group as opposed to used have you considered Chorus 12? Incredible bang for one's buck relative to C11. Can your wheels take a freehub swap?

blantonator
07-16-2020, 04:43 PM
If you're looking at a new group as opposed to used have you considered Chorus 12? Incredible bang for one's buck relative to C11. Can your wheels take a freehub swap?

The campy freehub is $170 on my tune Mag170, which I find it a bit crazy. What more do you get than another gear?

Coffee Rider
07-16-2020, 04:44 PM
I'd vote for Campy over SRAM here based just on looks. The Campy looked good when it was being sold and will always look good. I think the SRAM stuff already looks dated. I know SRAM works fine, but you asked opinions and I'm aware of my bias.

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 04:48 PM

I agree this is worth considering. I still stand by my comments above but when I personally made the choice to upgrade earlier this year, I went chorus 12.

Ultimately, the decision for me would probably come down to the bike. If we are talking about a classic road bike or a go fast build, chorus 11 is lighter and looks beautiful. If the bike fits fat tires or sees mixed terrain, chorus 12 has some compelling gearing options and a charm that fits a bike with fat or knobby tires.

Asudef
07-16-2020, 04:53 PM
I've got Force 10, Record 10s, and Chorus 11s on my current bikes.

Am biased but would vote Campy 100%. It feels so much more solid in shifting and positive feeling. Hood shape is also much better and nicer looking.

SRAM shifters sound like plastic utensils snapping. It catches me off every time I hop on that bike. Campy drops into gear in a very positive way.

donevwil
07-16-2020, 04:55 PM
The campy freehub is $170 on my tune Mag170, which I find it a bit crazy. What more do you get than another gear?

Chorus 12 is significantly cheaper than 11 (assuming you go new) and will probably pay for that freehub change and then some.

Plus, as already mentioned, you have much wider gearing options.

Dave
07-16-2020, 05:07 PM
The suggestions to buy Campy 12 are sound. I switched last July. No more 11 speed on either of my bikes. The group as a whole was considerably cheaper than the Chorus 11 group that I bought the year before.

Also keep in mind that 11 speed shifters, cranks, and the like are not in current production. Those parts all went on clearance sale a year ago. It's like going to a car dealer and asking to buy a new 2018 car, instead of the 2020 model.

Shimano 11 will also be dead soon, along with their hub design.

blantonator
07-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Chorus 12 is significantly cheaper than 11 (assuming you go new) and will probably pay for that freehub change and then some.

Plus, as already mentioned, you have much wider gearing options.

I don't love the aluminum and would probably go for Record 12 and now I'm definitely more expensive. a 34 up front and a 28 out back gets me most places. I could always have a spare 32t cassette for a day in the mountains.

mcteague
07-16-2020, 05:12 PM
I have Chorus 11 on one bike and installed Record 12 on another. At first the 12 stuff seemed like a subtle improvement. However, after mostly riding my primary bike with the new Record, and then going back to the Chorus bike, the difference is much more noticeable. The new shifters really do feel better and shifting is snappier. Can’t go wrong either way IMO.

Tim

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 05:13 PM
I don't love the aluminum and would probably go for Record 12 and now I'm definitely more expensive. a 34 up front and a 28 out back gets me most places. I could always have a spare 32t cassette for a day in the mountains.

I know there are other differences with things like the cranks and brake calipers, but it’s interesting how much of a difference three pieces of carbon makes in the character between chorus 12 and record 12.

blantonator
07-16-2020, 05:22 PM
Looking at it a bit more, the weight is fairly negligible, especially if I get a Record Crank. Maybe 12 is the way to ago and I'll be future proofed, although the 12 speed campy cassettes are dura-ace expensive where an 11 speed shimano ultegra is less than $80

9tubes
07-16-2020, 05:29 PM
I've got Force 10, Record 10s, and Chorus 11s on my current bikes.

Am biased but would vote Campy 100%. It feels so much more solid in shifting and positive feeling. Hood shape is also much better and nicer looking.

SRAM shifters sound like plastic utensils snapping. It catches me off every time I hop on that bike. Campy drops into gear in a very positive way.

I agree that SRAM Red is a bit loud. eTap is my new friend.

blantonator
07-16-2020, 05:35 PM
I agree that SRAM Red is a bit loud. eTap is my new friend.

I would go etap if it was reasonable to find a 2x11 etap. The axs has too much propriety stuff going on with the cranks and cassette.

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 05:37 PM
Looking at it a bit more, the weight is fairly negligible, especially if I get a Record Crank. Maybe 12 is the way to ago and I'll be future proofed, although the 12 speed campy cassettes are dura-ace expensive where an 11 speed shimano ultegra is less than $80

They are sweet looking cassettes though :) My wife randomly commented on the attractive finish when I had a spare wheel setting in the basement.

ToonaBP
07-16-2020, 05:51 PM
I've been using SRAM since the first Force group and purchased two Red groups in following years. When I bought my C-59, I tried Campy Record. Now, both road bikes have Campy on them. Love the ergonomics of the hoods and FD shifting.... Didn't think I'd like the thumb shifter, but got used to it.

robertbb
07-16-2020, 06:17 PM
My likely bias answer is go Campagnolo. I think Chorus 11 is going to be one of those groups that remains a classic similar to record 10 and 9000.

Interesting. Not that I disagree - wonderful group - but what is it about Chorus 11 over, say, Record/SR 11 that you think will make it a classic?

thirdgenbird
07-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Interesting. Not that I disagree - wonderful group - but what is it about Chorus 11 over, say, Record/SR 11 that you think will make it a classic?

I think the full work of Campagnolo 11 will be well regarded but specifically called out chorus because the OP asked about it. I do think chorus 11 has some desirable traits however. First, chorus 11 has very little that makes it different than R/SR. this was true during some years of 10spd, but the difference was smallest with 2015+ chorus. Second, the all white branding on chorus is favored by many over the similar R/SR groups. The latter are better, but chorus is a classic. Great value and the best looking branding.

simonov
07-17-2020, 05:23 AM
It's time to move my SRAM 10 speed groupset to 11 speed and I'm looking at both SRAM 11 speed and Campy Chorus 11 speed and plan on using shimano cassettes as they will still fit my freewheel. I've not used Campy previously, just Shimano and SRAM, but wanted to see how people compare 11 speed SRAM, which is a bit cheaper than 11 speed Campy Chorus.

Thanks!

If you like the ergonomics of SRAM, go for Force 22. Yaw front shifting is a big improvement over old 10speed front shifting. I prefer it to Campy's seemingly endless trim stops. They both have a nice, crisp rear shift so the difference will come down to thumb shifter or double-tap. I prefer double-tap, but I'm also happy with the Chorus 11 group overall. I've got both in the rotation and I really think you'd be happy with either, so pick whichever has the looks or ergonomics you prefer.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2020, 06:25 AM

Thanks!

Campag 11s..more functional levers(multi higher gear feature), rebuildable levers, better ERGOnomics(personal, I know), great crank design altho it will work with any crank. Remember, your '10s' rear wheel..many are NOT 11s compatible...BUT Campag..

Since Chorus is now 12s..lots of great deals on Chorus 11s..
You mentioned-
Maybe 12 is the way to ago and I'll be future proofed

Your 10s shimano wheel 'may' support a shimano 11s cogset..BUT if 12s, gotta be a Campagnolo compatible rear hub, which are 9/1/11/12s..

wayaway
07-17-2020, 06:30 AM
For what it’s worth, a friend, who rides sram, got on my chorus 11 and said “holy **** these hoods are comfortable!” I have nothing but good things to say about campy.

robertbb
07-17-2020, 06:55 AM
I think the full work of Campagnolo 11 will be well regarded but specifically called out chorus because the OP asked about it. I do think chorus 11 has some desirable traits however. First, chorus 11 has very little that makes it different than R/SR. this was true during some years of 10spd, but the difference was smallest with 2015+ chorus. Second, the all white branding on chorus is favored by many over the similar R/SR groups. The latter are better, but chorus is a classic. Great value and the best looking branding.

Agree with all that, and I'd add:

1) Chorus FD cage is not prone to breaking like the R/SR carbon cages
2) The "speed holes" in the R/SR levers are nothing more than openings for crud (dust, sweat, sunscreen, road spray) to get into your brifters. Bit silly really.

mcteague
07-17-2020, 06:56 AM
For what it’s worth, a friend, who rides sram, got on my chorus 11 and said “holy **** these hoods are comfortable!” I have nothing but good things to say about campy.

Campy has the history and used to have the looks thing nailed. However, the feel of the hoods is what brought me back to Campagnolo. The old 10s ones looked more attractive and felt nice but the 11/12 Gumby hoods are near perfect IMO. The slight flare to the 12s levers and modified shape of the thumb button just makes a good thing even better.

Tim