PDA

View Full Version : Could one fix this satisfactory one self?

tuscanyswe
07-16-2020, 02:11 PM
Looking at a real nice frame but has rust on tt cable stops i guess from sweat over the years as its in nice condition otherwise.

Can one fix this nicely oneself without sending away for paint and stuff, have little experience with restoring frames / paint. Or is it likely the paint will start to peal once i have a better look and try to scrape the stop? Cant inspect irl as its not near.

And also for those in the know. Assume the decals on these older masters were on top of the clearcoat and can be easily replaced, correct?

Thx

mulp
07-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Given how rusted that looks I think the paint will probably fall off if you were to apply any type of mechanical force to it.

I have found that most rust removers/converters I've used have also weakened the paint a bit as well so I doubt you'd be able to remove the rust without removing the paint.

Some other more experienced paceliners may have better options though

Dead Man
07-16-2020, 02:25 PM
maybe carefully strip the boss and then repaint with a matching finger nail polish?

prototoast
07-16-2020, 02:25 PM
You could pretty easily sand away the rust, and touch it up with some matching nail polish. It wouldn't look professional, but since the rust is on the cable stop, you probably wouldn't notice it from a distance.

Dead Man
07-16-2020, 02:38 PM
as to the decals - neg, they aint always on top of the clear. some manfers have an annoying habit of clear coating over decals.. kinda LOOKS like the decals are over the clear in the pix, but if youre not seeing the bike in person id get confirmation on that one before buying. if the decals are deal breakers to you

tuscanyswe
07-16-2020, 02:44 PM
as to the decals - neg, they aint always on top of the clear. some manfers have an annoying habit of clear coating over decals.. kinda LOOKS like the decals are over the clear in the pix, but if youre not seeing the bike in person id get confirmation on that one before buying. if the decals are deal breakers to you

Yes some manuf put them under this is a colnago master so figured someone knew specifically. They do look like they are on top agreed.

tuscanyswe
07-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Given how rusted that looks I think the paint will probably fall off if you were to apply any type of mechanical force to it.

I have found that most rust removers/converters I've used have also weakened the paint a bit as well so I doubt you'd be able to remove the rust without removing the paint.

Some other more experienced paceliners may have better options though

Yes this is what im afraid of. Its bit of a dealbreaker. Its nice enough so i wouldent want the frame if i cant get the rust feel of it so to speak. But if i have to hire a professional its not worth the cost unfortunately.

BRad704
07-16-2020, 02:46 PM
If it were mine
and
if I were feeling compelled to 'fix' it

I would use sand with a foam-backed emory board (like the big dollar store nail files), wipe the dust away very well and use flat/satin black Testors model paint. IMO using black would match the cables and not create some mismatch in colors.

shankldu
07-16-2020, 02:47 PM
use a Dremel tool w wire wheel then repaint , car shops like mine have guys that can match the paint . to keep cost down u can thin the paint and roll it on 3 4 coats then spray clear outa Walmart can .

Spaghetti Legs
07-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Overall, based on that kinda small pic that doesn't look too bad to me and I would touch that up myself. I've found that Testors red metal flake is a pretty good match for the Saronni-like Red.

My De Rosa had some worse condition cable guides and I sent it to a pro in Chicago for touch up work and it came out really nice.

tuscanyswe
07-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Not bad at all i would be very happy with that.
I dont even live in the US but always interesting to know, what did that cost u approx if u remember?

Gsinill
07-16-2020, 03:27 PM
I got a version of this

https://i.postimg.cc/bvd8B8c2/agora.png
http://www.amazon.de/Agora-Tec®-Airbrush-Pistole-Eraser-AT-AEG-01/dp/B0067M81FQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Q918XSNV6LVD&dchild=1&keywords=mini+sandstrahlpistole&qid=1594930859&sprefix=m%2Cini+sandst%2Caps%2C314&sr=8-1

I never used it on a bike but cleaned up the rusty edges around the sunroof of my old Benz.
Worked perfectly, the spread of the sand is very similar to paint from an airbrush, i.e. you can clean up very small areas.

tuscanyswe
07-16-2020, 03:29 PM
I got a version of this

https://i.postimg.cc/bvd8B8c2/agora.png
http://www.amazon.de/Agora-Tec®-Airbrush-Pistole-Eraser-AT-AEG-01/dp/B0067M81FQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Q918XSNV6LVD&dchild=1&keywords=mini+sandstrahlpistole&qid=1594930859&sprefix=m%2Cini+sandst%2Caps%2C314&sr=8-1

I never used it on a bike but cleaned up the rusty edges around the sunroof of my old Benz.
Worked perfectly, the spread of the sand is very similar to paint from an airbrush, i.e. you can clean up very small areas.

Hmm i forgot i bought an airbrush couple of years ago for an rc car project. Not sure i have the skills to use it and get better results than i would with a brush tho :)

Gsinill
07-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Hmm i forgot i bought an airbrush couple of years ago for an rc car project. Not sure i have the skills to use it and get better results than i would with a brush tho :)

This is not an airbrush, it’s a mini sand blasting gun...

tuscanyswe
07-16-2020, 03:53 PM
This is not an airbrush, it’s a mini sand blasting gun...

Ah i looked to fast. Hm so its kind of precision blasting? Is that even easier than to just sand? Wont the media used bounce on the cable stops and potentially richochet over other areas so u would have to mask really well in order to use it on something like this?

zmudshark
07-16-2020, 03:56 PM
If that is the worst of it, I think you could easily do that yourself. If you go with the Dremel wire brush Road, make sure you use a brass brush. I would use 2000 grit sandpaper, wet, to start after the brush to clean up the area around the cable guide. I have found that hot gluing a small piece of it to The end of a pencil eraser and spinning works well. Check out some YouTube‘s of guys doing touchups on high end cars.

Spaghetti Legs
07-16-2020, 04:48 PM
Not bad at all i would be very happy with that.
I dont even live in the US but always interesting to know, what did that cost u approx if u remember?

It was Chester Cycles. Including the shipping back and forth I believe I spent $350 to 400 US. Worth it to me for this bike. There is a gentleman On Bikeforums , styggno1, who lives in or near Stockholm I believe. He has several really nice vintage bikes and might have some info about local refinishers.

Asudef
07-16-2020, 05:00 PM
That honestly doesn't look that bad and not a deal breaker. The paint already has some good patina on it so it only adds to the character.

Maybe mask off the area and proceed as others have mentioned and even try some fine steel wool for good coverage and try one of those brass bristle brushes for cleaning gun barrels to get inside the boss.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rbQAAOSw2QtdJv1H/s-l300.jpg

Gsinill
07-16-2020, 08:48 PM
Ah i looked to fast. Hm so its kind of precision blasting? Is that even easier than to just sand? Wont the media used bounce on the cable stops and potentially richochet over other areas so u would have to mask really well in order to use it on something like this?

I don't think this would be an issue.

josephr
07-18-2020, 11:44 AM

I'd avoid media blasting simply b/c you're doing such a small area and unless you're really,really, really good, chances are you'll take away too much material or get too much of the top tube. Having done this before, the dremmel with a wire brush gives you a lot more control and precision. Also, gonna be real hard to get inside the cable guide. I really like zmudshark's ideas about using an eraser head, wet sand/dry sand. I wish I had that advice when I did my project. :)

If you can't find a nail polish to match, can also check with a model shop. Personally I love the decals and the paint scheme...so rad! :cool:

paredown
07-18-2020, 11:51 AM
With chips, I have used Zmud's 'sandpaper dots' trick, but it is often hard to feather the edge, so I have just used an artists brush and multiple coats to build up inside the chip area...