PDA

View Full Version : Increasing suspension fork travel?

tuxbailey
07-16-2020, 01:35 PM
I am waiting for the service kit to arrive to do an overhaul of the Rockshox Recon Fork that my MTB has. It is a hardtail set up with 100mm of travel. In reviewing the service guide it is noted that the travel can be increased from 100mm to 120mm by removing a spacer in the air spring.

Is it advisable to do that? The bike is a 29er with G2 geometry.

Jaybee
07-16-2020, 01:45 PM
I am waiting for the service kit to arrive to do an overhaul of the Rockshox Recon Fork that my MTB has. It is a hardtail set up with 100mm of travel. In reviewing the service guide it is noted that the travel can be increased from 100mm to 120mm by removing a spacer in the air spring.

Is it advisable to do that? The bike is a 29er with G2 geometry.

Do you commonly find yourself maxing out the 100mm of travel? Do you like the way the bike handles at 100?

tuxbailey
07-16-2020, 01:53 PM
Do you commonly find yourself maxing out the 100mm of travel? Do you like the way the bike handles at 100?

I think the bike handles well at 100. I think the area where my bike is being ridden I could use some more travel. I am new to proper MTB ride so not really sure, but since I am taking apart the fork and this is a "free" option I am trying to see if I will benefit from it.

Jaybee
07-16-2020, 03:12 PM
It’s pretty easy to do if you have the fork apart already. I’d say it’s worth the experiment.