PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr. Campagnolo,

catulle
01-29-2007, 05:24 PM
You may or may not read this blog, but maybe someone will let you know what your consumers are thinking. First, though, be aware that I have been buying Campagnolo parts for the past forty years. I have never bought a bicycle part of another brand unless Campagnolo didn't build it (saddles, for instance.)

Anyway, although I perfectly understand that the world spins around and around, and that manufacturers need to go with the times, it is with a great deal of dismay that I've received the news that you will no longer build sliver Record components. I feel betrayed; as simple as that. If for the longest time you offered the consumer the choice of silver or black, why abandon loyal old timers in order to run after the money of the fashionable young? Shame on you.

Just as you "evolve" I can evolve and switch brands. See, it takes two to tango; and to tangle, too. As a matter of fact, I don't buy Nike running shoes because they change so damn much. If I like a pair of Nike shoes, by the time I'm ready to replace those shoes they are no longer availabe. Assics or New Balance, on the other hand, do change but they keep a consistency in their product line that let's you return over and over again.

Ok, so Nike has very little to do with silver or black, that might be so but when you feel the brand has left you behind or out of the loop, you are forced to move somewhere else. Just saying, Mr. Campagnolo.

Hey, take good care. And bring back the silver parts, atmo...

znfdl
01-29-2007, 05:56 PM
You may or may not read this blog, but maybe someone will let you know what your consumers are thinking. First, though, be aware that I have been buying Campagnolo parts for the past forty years. I have never bought a bicycle part of another brand unless Campagnolo didn't build it (saddles, for instance.)

Anyway, although I perfectly understand that the world spins around and around, and that manufacturers need to go with the times, it is with a great deal of dismay that I've received the news that you will no longer build sliver Record components. I feel betrayed; as simple as that. If for the longest time you offered the consumer the choice of silver or black, why abandon loyal old timers in order to run after the money of the fashionable young? Shame on you.

Just as you "evolve" I can evolve and switch brands. See, it takes two to tango; and to tangle, too. As a matter of fact, I don't buy Nike running shoes because they change so damn much. If I like a pair of Nike shoes, by the time I'm ready to replace those shoes they are no longer availabe. Assics or New Balance, on the other hand, do change but they keep a consistency in their product line that let's you return over and over again.

Ok, so Nike has very little to do with silver or black, that might be so but when you feel the brand has left you behind or out of the loop, you are forced to move somewhere else. Just saying, Mr. Campagnolo.

Hey, take good care. And bring back the silver parts, atmo...

+1

bcm119
01-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm far more concerned with the price than the color.

If you like silver try Shimano, it works just as well. ;)

Frankwurst
01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm far more concerned with the price than the color.

If you like silver try Shimano, it works just as well. ;)

There's alot more to it than how it works. :beer:

Erik.Lazdins
01-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Campagnolo has this mapped out.

1. Drop the Silver parts

2. Watch the people panic, then wait for the griping to stop, wait for acceptance, and a rush to buy the new stuff.

3. Wait for sales to flatten

4. Bring back the Silver bits!

sspielman
01-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Dear Mr. Campagnolo,

I really don't care if your parts are pedominately black or white, as they are still generally the best looking parts available...and usually the best working as well. However, what frosts my gonads is the fact that you do not offer a Chorus 10 speed cassette in 12-23. You see, when I had 9 speed parts, I did the vast amount of my mileage with a 12-21. I found the range adaequate for most of the terrain that I regularly encountered, and I particularly liked to use the 18 cog with the big ring while climbing steady grades in races.....By switching to 10 speed, I would have liked to have added the 23 while keeping the 18....BUT instead, I had to give up the 18 for the used-twice-a-year 11..I gained a cog, but lost a useful gear.....

mike p
01-29-2007, 06:51 PM
I wish shimano would put out some black parts!

Mike

Erik.Lazdins
01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
+1 We need the 18

We want the Silver option - the elegance the beauty, the tradition.

Chad Engle
01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
105 comes in black

mike p
01-29-2007, 06:57 PM
105 comes in black

Gotta have at least ultegra.

Mike

stevep
01-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Dear Mr. Campagnolo,

I really don't care if your parts are pedominately black or white, as they are still generally the best looking parts available...and usually the best working as well. However, what frosts my gonads is the fact that you do not offer a Chorus 10 speed cassette in 12-23. You see, when I had 9 speed parts, I did the vast amount of my mileage with a 12-21. I found the range adaequate for most of the terrain that I regularly encountered, and I particularly liked to use the 18 cog with the big ring while climbing steady grades in races.....By switching to 10 speed, I would have liked to have added the 23 while keeping the 18....BUT instead, I had to give up the 18 for the used-twice-a-year 11..I gained a cog, but lost a useful gear.....

very surprising to me,
wonder why?
10 spd cassettes that we sell ( shimano ) listed in order of sales volume
1 12-25
2 12-23
3 12-27
4 the rest are small numbers...

Simon Q
01-29-2007, 07:22 PM
If they have to have one colour, I am gald they went with black as it looks great on my rig. But I agree that it is a shame there is no choice. Wouldn't mind betting silver versions will be out soon. Easy enough for them to do.

Elefantino
01-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Campy is the new black.

PBWrench
01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Campagnolo= Black

Shimano = Absence of Colour

Ti Designs
01-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Tulio is dead, black suits him.

dbrk
01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
To the Functionalists:

I just can't get with the idea that the color of components is sorta' trivial in comparison to performance. I'd rather see a bike as a whole and a bike bit as a piece of the larger issue of function-and-aesthetics. I prefer the way Campagnolo Ergo works and fits my hands and I sure wish there were silver parts. I think the absence of downtube shifters is even more of a loss/darn shame/geez that's really really too bad thing. I suppose it's supply and demand and I'm a dinosaur, luddite, etc.

But we buy what they sell because that's what there is to buy. I'm not in their business plan anyway. I use Shimano downtube shifters now when I'm not shifting friction.

dbrk

Grant McLean
01-29-2007, 07:57 PM
There are silver silver campy parts: it's called CHORUS.

Anyway... I just want to add to the wish list: regular 50-59mm reach brakes!

-g

72gmc
01-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Veloce is also still available in silver. Centaur is silver but for the levers and the face plate on the rd... sigh... I hope my former silver bits serve Lifelover well. I won't exactly be suffering with carbon levers, but still.

rwsaunders
01-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Remember the Coke Classic that we were supposed to like the same as "the old Coke"? Maybe this is the plan......

merckx
01-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I wish that Campy didn't move to Tiawan

OldDog
01-29-2007, 08:21 PM
As Campy parts are rebuildable, stock up on some spare parts. Barring a crash, those silver campy bits will last as long as any of us.

Question for the wheel guru's: what can be done, if anything, for a worn hub, i.e. ovalized spoke holes?

Big Dan
01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I wish that Campy didn't move to Tiawan

That's a secret...........

:cool:

PBWrench
01-29-2007, 08:29 PM
(Lennon/McCartney)

Oh dear, what can I do?
Baby's in black and I'm feeling blue
Tell me, oh what can I do?

atmo
01-29-2007, 08:31 PM
(Lennon/McCartney)

Oh dear, what can I do?
Baby's in black and I'm feeling blue
Tell me, oh what can I do?

john got yoko ono-ed.
what does that tell you atmo?

AgilisMerlin
01-29-2007, 08:37 PM
lets not forget the eventual electronic shifting metamorphosis...........good buy cables :D

i'd rather ride purple components than use a automatic transmission. jmo

amerliN

(saul, your my hero Yo')

PBWrench
01-29-2007, 08:51 PM
I'd rather be Yoko'ed

fierte_poser
01-29-2007, 09:51 PM
We can only pray that rivendell will save us all. Screw the fellowship of the ring, we need the fellowship of the silver brake lever. :beer:

oracle
01-29-2007, 10:12 PM
yo catull-io... here's your answer.... (http://www.worldcycling.com/graphics/00000002/Dura_together.jpg)

shinomaster
01-30-2007, 02:47 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/reviews/shimano105group

soulspinner
01-30-2007, 04:16 AM
Just an excuse to buy Zero Gravity brakes. They are black too.

catulle
01-30-2007, 06:01 AM
I copy and pasted this silly rant on the Campagnolo site and today received a cocky answer. "We know that we cannot please everyone". Oh, well... I know that Tullio is more than the PR person who answered my not so nice correspondence, so I'll remain loyal - for the time being...

PacNW2Ford
01-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I also wonder why the new triple cranks don't come in 172.5.

Simon Q
01-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I copy and pasted this silly rant on the Campagnolo site and today received a cocky answer. "We know that we cannot please everyone". Oh, well... I know that Tullio is more than the PR person who answered my not so nice correspondence, so I'll remain loyal - for the time being...

They prob found that more dudes, such as myself, were buying the black Record calipers when there was a choice so went with the strength. They are not silly.

Ahneida Ride
01-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I have 03(?) Silver Record. THe first Record Triple.

I could NEVER install black parts .... NEVER ....
I'd give up riding first.

I suspect that the black finish is cheaper to manufacture the silver.

I know the black parts are great. I know the CIII/CDA is a perfect ride.

But I still want lugs and polish.

It's my frn and that's how I'll spent it.

Grant McLean
01-30-2007, 11:23 PM
If there are others who find the black/carbon Record evolution not to
their liking, it's a good time to stock up. I've found Rec. alu cranks and
silver brakes on close out lists. Same for 28.6 clamp front derailleurs
and 1" headsets. 2006 chorus with alloy cranks too.

I think come spring time, lots of shops will start to get motivated to move
out the "old" stuff nobody wants any more. Get a couple of rubbermaid
plastic parts boxes, and fill 'em up!

g

shinomaster
01-30-2007, 11:25 PM
I can't stomach the thought of those new BB cups on a pretty bike imho. The secret hidden old style is what I'm about.

oracle
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
black record is so 105........

shinomaster
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
105 is so Kmart.

oracle
01-30-2007, 11:38 PM
black record is so Kmart.

that's just rude.....

inGobwetrust
01-31-2007, 12:10 AM
There's alot more to it than how it works. :beer:

Eff Campy. I said it....I feel better. War Shimano!

shinomaster
01-31-2007, 02:40 AM
that's just rude.....

Why can't you just behave?