PDA

View Full Version : Adam Sklar Bozeman MT

bob59
07-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Does anybody have one of his bikes?

One for sale locally in my size. Looking to try something new.

Thnx

Bentley
07-16-2020, 09:30 AM
Not sure, but might be a member here.

I went to his website, bikes look cool, can’t remember why I visited but seems like it started here.

Ray

.RJ
07-16-2020, 09:39 AM
His bikes are really nice, and he seems to be going in the right direction with his frame geo. Wish I could afford one.

charliedid
07-16-2020, 09:39 AM
I'd buy one.

andeww
07-16-2020, 09:51 AM
Here’s his thread, so you can reach out

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=232740

With all due respect I feel like there is a mark up for the hip factor versus someone like Walt works that isn’t known to be “cool” or radivist but has been in the game longer and can do anything you have in mind.

Not knocking on him, just my opinion I’m terms of value and pricing

livesadventure
07-16-2020, 11:30 AM
A friend of mine got a custom ti allroad built by sklar, he loves it. It definitely has some cool, modern geo.

I do agree with the above point about the hip factor, take a look at the price differences between a De salvo and Sklar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doomridesout
07-16-2020, 11:45 AM
They seem super nice but are priced to include a raffle ticket for a photo spread on the Radavist. Personally I’d buy something else.

Cantdog
07-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Curious—if you are paying for something other than just tubes welded together, is buying a Sachs any different?

At the end of the day you’re buying a bike, and a story. If you like the Sklar story, it’s worth it to you.

jkbrwn
07-16-2020, 12:21 PM
Curious—if you are paying for something other than just tubes welded together, is buying a Sachs any different?

At the end of the day you’re buying a bike, and a story. If you like the Sklar story, it’s worth it to you.

I see your point, but RS has been building frames longer than Adam has been alive, for a start... not a knock on Adam, but that's not a fair comparison.

Cantdog
07-16-2020, 12:53 PM
I see your point, but RS has been building frames longer than Adam has been alive, for a start... not a knock on Adam, but that's not a fair comparison.

You are paying for something intangible is my point. Hipness, history, ‘collectibility’, doesn’t matter. Kudos for Adam for creating something someone wants and making a living off it.

charliedid
07-16-2020, 01:06 PM
They seem super nice but are priced to include a raffle ticket for a photo spread on the Radavist. Personally I’d buy something else.

You no like raffles?

nmrt
07-16-2020, 01:39 PM
good for Adam for making frames people want to buy.

would have been good for me too if he only would have only returned my phone calls and emails where i showed interest in having him fabricate a 29er Ti frame.

but no worries. i went with engin cycles.

unterhausen
07-16-2020, 01:55 PM
You are paying for something intangible is my point. Hipness, history, ‘collectibility’, doesn’t matter. Kudos for Adam for creating something someone wants and making a living off it.

I didn't look up his pricing, but my guess is that you get the hipness at a very deep discount. There aren't too many builders that can charge full price for hipness.

Pegoready
07-16-2020, 02:24 PM
We're talking about a used frame here guys, not an experience with a builder or paying retail (I hope). If you like it and can swing it, why not? Used is nice because the thing exists and you can test ride it and you don't have to wait for it.

This is one of my favorite bikes of all time, no idea how it rides or if it's any good but it just speaks to me:

https://i.imgur.com/na5kRaJl.jpg

unterhausen
07-16-2020, 02:26 PM
I'm having flashbacks to the ascii image newsgroups.

SlowPokePete
07-16-2020, 02:33 PM
My friend has one and it's sweeeeeet...

SPP

Cantdog
07-16-2020, 03:19 PM
A friend of mine got a custom ti allroad built by sklar, he loves it. It definitely has some cool, modern geo.

I do agree with the above point about the hip factor, take a look at the price differences between a De salvo and Sklar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A DeSalvo road/gravel bike is more than the Sklar road/gravel bike...

CMiller
07-16-2020, 06:38 PM
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/d/santa-cruz-montana-made-sklar-275er-mtb/7153384071.html

I imagine it's this one? It's been up for a long time, no drop in price, maybe shoot them an offer. It's too much money for someone else's custom for me personally, but the build is A+++.

Also I emailed Adam Sklar asking him nicely if a particular bike he posted used powder coat and if he would be open telling me the RAL number and he told me he doesn't share those. Something to consider if you are hoping to contact him with questions on the bike, maybe he is cooler if you own one of his.