PDA

View Full Version : Chris King topcap + compression plug?

Cantdog
07-16-2020, 08:29 AM
What are some expansion plugs for carbon forks that play nicely with chris king topcaps? Dont want to mess up the matchy color scheme and lose the top cap. Fork did not come with an expansion plug, unfortunately.

joosttx
07-16-2020, 08:43 AM
What are some expansion plugs for carbon forks that play nicely with chris king topcaps? Dont want to mess up the matchy color scheme and lose the top cap. Fork did not come with an expansion plug, unfortunately.

I think any expansion plug (less some weight weenie system) is compatible with Chris King top caps. I have used enve expansion plus and a few other no name brands With CK top caps without issue for years.

Pinned
07-16-2020, 01:02 PM
Enve, Wolftooth, anything in that style is solid.

Cantdog
07-16-2020, 01:15 PM
Perfect, thank you!

Dino SuegiĆ¹
07-16-2020, 03:02 PM
As the others have said, almost any (1 1/8" I assume) expansion plug will work perfectly well.

On a carbon fork I like the expanders that are longer, ~80-100mm (definitely longer than 40mm), such as Specialized, Colnago, Deda, if you can find them.

Then your only other, purely aesthetic, concern will be whether or not you like the bolt (head shape, color) that comes with the plug, or if you buy a different bolt to better match or contrast with your CK top cap color and opening shape.

Velocipede
07-16-2020, 03:19 PM
Some expander wedges work better than other depending on the preload cap. Here are two pics I just took.

The preload cap one, you can see some are quite tall and fit deeper into the top of the expander. The silver is a Chris King for reference. It's one of the shallower ones.

The expander pic, 5 different brands including a newer and older Enve(new black, older silver). Some of them, the tension bolt sits high and some preload caps bottom out on them. Even if you have a 5mm spacer on top.

The reason I have so many different expanders, cause I never supply the shorter ones. I only supply 60mm or longer expanders. The short ones don't supply enough support in the steerer tube.