I also found a 1st edition original Winning Magazine

I had to include Bob Jackson ads too

Enjoy

cinema
07-15-2020, 10:55 PM
$475!

windsurfer
07-16-2020, 10:52 AM
I have an old training bike with one of those anatomical saddles in the catalog hanging it the garage. The warehouse sales at Bikecology were great back then.

Toeclips
07-16-2020, 12:03 PM
It was a lot of fun going through this catalog
I'll try to copy more pages

merckx
07-16-2020, 12:18 PM
$475!

I purchased a Super frameset in 1983 from R&A cycles for $395.00. It was a POS; however, I did race the hell out of it. When I sat up to peel a banana and the bike didn't track straight, I thought all bicycles steered to the port side. When I noticed a bulge in the down tube at the BB junction, I thought all "hand-made" frames had some tube shaping in that area to stiffen things up. The first time I threw a leg over a genuine hand-made frameset I had an epiphany.

keevon
07-16-2020, 12:46 PM
$475!

Yes, but...

https://i.ibb.co/YLF014H/1981.jpg

fignon's barber
07-16-2020, 12:59 PM
I purchased a Super frameset in 1983 from R&A cycles for $395.00. It was a POS; however, I did race the hell out of it. When I sat up to peel a banana and the bike didn't track straight, I thought all bicycles steered to the port side. When I noticed a bulge in the down tube at the BB junction, I thought all "hand-made" frames had some tube shaping in that area to stiffen things up. The first time I threw a leg over a genuine hand-made frameset I had an epiphany.

I'm curious. What did you upgrade to? Mine was an Atala In Columbus SL.

merckx
07-16-2020, 02:57 PM
I'm curious. What did you upgrade to? Mine was an Atala In Columbus SL.

I had a few stutter-steps following the Colnago, but it was a Waterford R22 that ultimately opened my eyes. It was straight, solid and fast. I've had many frames since then that have also been superb. All hand-builts, and that includes my current Zank. Many production frames that we coveted back in the day were cob-jobs. Most got us across the finish line just fine, but we also didn't know the potential of what a properly built frameset could deliver.

Tandem Rider
07-16-2020, 08:32 PM

I think QC was spotty at best, sorry yours was not good, I had/have a 1979 that is the complete opposite of your experience. I think I had over 50k on it before it broke, it got me through the categories up until my 2nd year as a 2. I liked it enough I fixed it and still have it.

merckx
07-16-2020, 08:50 PM
I think QC was spotty at best, sorry yours was not good, I had/have a 1979 that is the complete opposite of your experience. I think I had over 50k on it before it broke, it got me through the categories up until my 2nd year as a 2. I liked it enough I fixed it and still have it.

No doubt that there were some good ones, many good ones, released to the general public. But the fact of the matter is, these were carousel built frames, by kids in some cases, who wielded a torch. We all rode them, we survived, and now we are spoiled with choice.

merckx
07-16-2020, 08:58 PM
I'll be honest. If someone dropped off an '82 Saronni red Super hung with SR, and GP4s with Strada 66 tubs, a Black Regal, and model 65 bars at my doorstep, I'd flog that thing like I was 24 again, and I'd do it with no apologies.

Toeclips
07-16-2020, 09:08 PM
I'm with you Merckx I just hope mrs toestrap doesn't answer the door first

merckx
07-17-2020, 05:55 AM
I'm with you Merckx I just hope mrs toestrap doesn't answer the door first

Like.

Tandem Rider
07-17-2020, 07:55 AM
No doubt that there were some good ones, many good ones, released to the general public. But the fact of the matter is, these were carousel built frames, by kids in some cases, who wielded a torch. We all rode them, we survived, and now we are spoiled with choice.

You are correct.

Add to the mix that there were literally dozens and dozens of job shops that simply assembled frames for manufacturers from parts supplied by the manufacturers. These guys didn't care if they were working on bike frames this week or patio furniture next week, it was a job and a paycheck. Assembled frames then went off to paint and then then loaded on boat to come over here. I know, it's not the glamorous image we all had in our heads at the time of some Italian craftsman meticulously making our frames, one at a time. :eek:

Toeclips
07-17-2020, 12:20 PM
To your point, you can see that by the page count on ebay