PDA

View Full Version : SMP carbon rails creaking

sulfate125
07-15-2020, 05:18 PM
Any advice on dealing with a creaking saddle. I have tried another saddle to be sure it is actually the saddle. Now making a ton of noise. I took the rails off and put on carbon friction compound but if anything, it is worse. Carbon rails appear to have been epoxied in place.

Dsteiker
07-15-2020, 05:41 PM
Any advice on dealing with a creaking saddle. I have tried another saddle to be sure it is actually the saddle. Now making a ton of noise. I took the rails off and put on carbon friction compound but if anything, it is worse. Carbon rails appear to have been epoxied in place.

had a similar issue, but with alloy rails. put a drop or 2 of triflow on the rail to saddle shell contact points, that did the trick. can't hurt to see if it works on the carbon rails

Waterlogged
07-15-2020, 10:40 PM
I had a similar issue on two saddles and found cracks at the saddle to rail interface on both.

C50
07-16-2020, 05:11 PM
Numerous variables involved but if you still need help or some suggestions send me a private message and I might be able to help.

prototoast
07-16-2020, 05:14 PM
Spraying some silicone lube on the saddle-rail interface has worked for me.

Jimbo
07-18-2021, 12:30 PM
Resurrecting this thread years later.
I just bought a used SMP and it creaked LOUDLY. I was trying to decide if I needed to epoxy the rails or lube them. Decided to search for previous threads and found this. Two squirts with silicone lube is all it took.
Thank you!!!
Jim