PDA

View Full Version : Oura Ring / Sleep tracker - anyone using one?

Wattvagen
07-15-2020, 02:26 PM
I have become interested in doing some sleep tracking and gathering some other data, and have never been really happy about sleeping with a watch on, as most other fitness trackers seem to be wrist based.

the oura sounds like a winning solution.

is anyone using one?

have you found any particular value in sleep tracking or other metrics surrounding fitness data?

Bentley
07-15-2020, 03:27 PM
I don't use the oura ring, I use a Whoop strap that does a bit more. I think tracking your sleep is useful, I thought I was getting enough, and enough good sleep until I started with the Whoop strap. Knowing you are not getting enough or quality sleep helps with understanding what is impacting performance. I think its a good investment, provided it works

Wattvagen
07-15-2020, 03:42 PM
I don't use the oura ring, I use a Whoop strap that does a bit more. I think tracking your sleep is useful, I thought I was getting enough, and enough good sleep until I started with the Whoop strap. Knowing you are not getting enough or quality sleep helps with understanding what is impacting performance. I think its a good investment, provided it works

i did look at whoop, but the idea of a monthly membership fee is a non-starter for me. i already have enough stuff auto-billed to me.

Macadamia
07-15-2020, 06:26 PM
i did look at whoop, but the idea of a monthly membership fee is a non-starter for me. i already have enough stuff auto-billed to me.

yeah, also locked in for 6 months minimum.

I'm looking at various watches as fitness and sleep trackers, would really like to quantify and figure out how what I do outside of training affects me.

How well can I sleep while wearing a watch? That remains to be seen :)

When I get one I'll report back

Bentley
07-15-2020, 06:51 PM
yeah, also locked in for 6 months minimum.

I'm looking at various watches as fitness and sleep trackers, would really like to quantify and figure out how what I do outside of training affects me.

How well can I sleep while wearing a watch? That remains to be seen :)

When I get one I'll report back

not the same as wearing a watch, but understand its on all the time. The data you get from Whoop is not straight forward, but basically it measures what you are doing and measures your sleep and some bio metric data and runs it thru an algorithm that assesses your recovery. Is it perfect... Im not one to say. But, for me, the data seems to match well with how I feel, and when I am recovered, my ability to take on strain (do work... performance) is clearly enhanced. I am no expert on the oura ring, if it works at all... it will be useful

Good Luck

azrider
07-15-2020, 07:06 PM
I have a sleep tracker that's three years old and about 3' high........it taps my on the shoulder usually around 2am and says she's scared.....then it crawls in bed with me and proceeds to alligator roll for the next two hours.

I'd love to try and get my money back but I don't know who to talk to about that

:p:p:p

Likes2ridefar
07-15-2020, 07:12 PM
I have a sleep tracker that's three years old and about 3' high........it taps my on the shoulder usually around 2am and says she's scared.....then it crawls in bed with me and proceeds to alligator roll for the next two hours.

I'd love to try and get my money back but I don't know who to talk to about that

:p:p:p

If interested in upgrading to a 6yo and 4’ tall, I’ve a mint condition unit to consider. No returns accepted.

azrider
07-16-2020, 12:03 AM
If interested in upgrading to a 6yo and 4’ tall, I’ve a mint condition unit to consider. No returns accepted.

Bah-hahahahaha :p:p

unterhausen
07-16-2020, 09:51 AM
I have a garmin watch that does sleep tracking. I think it's really interesting but I'm not sure I would pay more for that function.