PDA

View Full Version : Colnago Super frame?

3DPaul
07-15-2020, 11:44 AM
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying this Colnago frame.
I would like to restore it with a new paint job and decals.

According to the seller it's a Colnago Super. I was wondering if anyone can confirm that and give me some more info about it like the year of production?
Seller says there's no cracks or dents or anything like that, but I looked in to getting it resprayed professionally and it looks like it's going to be quite costly. What would be a good price to pay with that in mind?

I was looking online and there's a nice article about identifying these frames here: http://www.cycling-obsession.com/how-to-identify-a-colnago-vintage-bike/

I, however, can't seem to find the one that would match what I am looking to buy here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

paredown
07-15-2020, 12:01 PM
Early '80s because of single water bottle bosses and curved steel fork, but with the engraved Colnago in the seat stay ends.

I would like to see a close up of the bottom bracket area, shot from underneath, but I don't think that this is a Super. One of the significant things about the Super was the stout extra reinforcement/cross tube just aft of the bottom bracket, and I don't see it on this one.

Here's shot of a NOS one that passed through my hands (that I now regret not keeping!)--it is a slightly later model. still with the 'Retinato' (crosshatched) paint, but with the TT cable guides now internal. But it still has that crazy stout chain stay brace.

If not a Super, then maybe 'Export'--or other slightly lower model?

Bentley
07-15-2020, 12:23 PM
If you buy it let me know, I have a guy that has painted a number of my Colnagos, even reproducing an Arte Decor paint job.

A lot of the cost is in the prep, paint removal, primer, sanding. Then the work of painting can get complex, if its just a single color and decals then less expensive than matching a Arte Decor or other complex paint job. My sense is it likely starts at $1000 and goes up.

GL

Ray

arimajol
07-15-2020, 01:31 PM
If you are buying with the intent of refinishing from the get-go, it better be a screaming deal. A frame like this in good condition, is probably worth 300-400 at the very top end, a complete vintage steel bike around 600-700. A quality repaint starting at a little less than 1,000 just doesn't make sense. There are lots and lots of great old steel frames around. If it were me, I'd keep looking for something in better condition

Spaghetti Legs
07-15-2020, 02:25 PM
A Super will have a chain stay bridge and crimps along the inside of the chainstays. I have an '82.

http://www.velo-retro.com/colnagotline.html

A quality paint job will cost you $500-$700, skewed toward the higher end. Powder coat is cheaper, more durable, and in experienced hands, can look good. I had a frame/fork stripped, powdered, decal'ed, clear coated for about $300-350 at Groody Bros in KC. Also factor in about $50 to buy new decals.

Toeclips
07-15-2020, 03:34 PM
Personally I would not buy the frame as a classic representation

I couldn't find anywhere, photos of that model listed

Not saying it's not a Colnago just not a collector's piece to spend on an expensive refinishing

Red flags for me

No reference photo

Tear drop seat stay caps - they should be curved and "colnago" engraved inside

Colnago stamped on the bottom bracket
That didn't start till much later

No chain stay bridge

The paint, all early models were a single color, blue red white I've also seen green and lavender

There are better examples on ebay

Hope this helps

Black Dog
07-15-2020, 04:27 PM
Personally I would not buy the frame as a classic representation

I couldn't find anywhere, photos of that model listed

Not saying it's not a Colnago just not a collector's piece to spend on an expensive refinishing

Red flags for me

No reference photo

Tear drop seat stay caps - they should be curved and "colnago" engraved inside

Colnago stamped on the bottom bracket
That didn't start till much later

No chain stay bridge

The paint, all early models were a single color, blue red white I've also seen green and lavender

There are better examples on ebay

Hope this helps

That bike is 100% a Colnago from the mid 80's. The bolded parts are indeed Colnago things that were on their bikes from that era. I say this having seen many and owned one of these.

Toeclips
07-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Didn't say it's not a Colnago, it is

I just don't think it's a Colnago Super

Toeclips
07-15-2020, 06:27 PM
Here you go, until I can find photos from old collection I used this for a guide

Took me a few to find this

Tz779
07-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Bikecology! wow, from the archives!

Toeclips
07-15-2020, 09:10 PM
Ok now I feel like, from the archives

cinema
07-15-2020, 09:50 PM
wow is that your catalog? would love to see a pic of every page on nagos in its entirety. nice!!

Toeclips
07-15-2020, 10:37 PM
Ok

3DPaul
07-16-2020, 07:34 AM
Thanks a lot for all your advice. This has been really helpful. I decided not to go for that frame as it would be quite a hassle to get it repainted not to mention the high costs...

A little back story why I was considering this frame and a new paint job:

So I bought this nice Vitus Carbone frame a couple of months ago. Took me a while to collect the rest of the components for it and when it was finally complete I absolutely loved the bike. After about 30/40 miles of easy commuting the frame developed this 'clicking'. It was noisy and also felt quite weird as I rode it. With pretty much every mile the clicking became worse and worse. I have read that this is quite a common problem with these frames and after 30 or so years the glue that bonds tubes and lugs get weak and the frame can just fail. The shop I bought it from won't accept any returns even if this frame lasted just a handful of rides so I'm just going to have to swallow the costs, possibly try to find someone who can fix it.
Wouldn not recommend dealing with a London based shop Brick Lane Bikes as they're not only pretty rude but also have been completly ignoring my emails and calls.

I'm attaching a picture of my current bike. By no means it's a period correct build, but the whole point for me was to get parts I really liked and have a nice looking ride.

Last few days I've been eagerly looking for a new frame. I am after a nice vintage (this time steel) frame in black to match my other components.
This is proving to be a really difficult thing to find. I am really set on it being black and muted.
A few days ago I stumbled upon a Berlin based shop where they had this really beatiful Colnago Mexico in black. I was ready to spend about €1000 on it but when I called them up they said it was already sold... (picture attached)
This is exactly what I am looking for.

So after a couple of days of not being able to find anything, I was considering just to get one for cheaper and spend money on a new paint job. But that's not really an option anymore as I am moving to another country in 4 weeks and the turnaround of all the places I contacted seems to be a lot longer.

By the way, that catalogue is amazing. Would be really interesting to see more pages. These frames look so nice..

Black Dog
07-16-2020, 07:46 AM
Didn't say it's not a Colnago, it is

I just don't think it's a Colnago Super

Sorry. I misunderstood your intent. I agree however that it is likely not a super.

Toeclips
07-16-2020, 09:34 AM
Yup yup

Hey I didn't want to hijack your thread so I started a thread Old Colnago Catalog Ads has a bunch of old Bikecolgy ads

cinema
07-16-2020, 09:37 AM
those vintage aluminum/carbon bikes are a no no
had a look kg team with carbon tubes/aluminum lugs this happened to
turned into a nice piece of wall art
galvanic corrosion
maybe a local composite person would be able to help you out

paredown
07-16-2020, 12:10 PM
those vintage aluminum/carbon bikes are a no no
had a look kg team with carbon tubes/aluminum lugs this happened to
turned into a nice piece of wall art
galvanic corrosion
maybe a local composite person would be able to help you out
There have been reports from people who have had them rebonded--a major PITA, since the frame needs to be disassembled, everything cleaned and prepped, then jigged and reglued.

This is the thread that I remembered where it was discussed.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.bicycles.tech/pzqgWG2J92g

Others have had success regluing themselves using a standard epoxy...