PDA

View Full Version : Why you should ride steel

Fixed
07-14-2020, 12:07 PM
“To many bike racers, the mere suggestion of racing on a steel frame, let alone training on one, would be considered a joke. For some unwarranted reason, steel has gained a reputation in certain circles as being slow, heavy and technologically retarded – similar to the now unfounded reputation diesel-powered cars earned in the United States.

But the reality is that steel has never been stronger, lighter and more durable than it is today. And more than that, no other material can offer the versatility to custom build a bike which fits its rider perfectly.

Mass-produced Taiwanese carbon frames, which often cost more than a custom-built steel frame, cannot even come close to providing the right fit, feel and ride quality that steel can provide, let alone its durability, which will last its owner a lifetime if cared for properly.“

https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/why-you-should-be-riding-steel-and-not-carbon

mistermo
07-14-2020, 12:26 PM
https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/25A_4_a.jpg

Such a pretty bike. My Steelmans (Steelmen?) are my favorite steel bikes ever.

bfd
07-14-2020, 12:37 PM
“To many bike racers, the mere suggestion of racing on a steel frame, let alone training on one, would be considered a joke. For some unwarranted reason, steel has gained a reputation in certain circles as being slow, heavy and technologically retarded – similar to the now unfounded reputation diesel-powered cars earned in the United States.

But the reality is that steel has never been stronger, lighter and more durable than it is today. And more than that, no other material can offer the versatility to custom build a bike which fits its rider perfectly.

Mass-produced Taiwanese carbon frames, which often cost more than a custom-built steel frame, cannot even come close to providing the right fit, feel and ride quality that steel can provide, let alone its durability, which will last its owner a lifetime if cared for properly.“

https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/why-you-should-be-riding-steel-and-not-carbon

In fairness, you can get custom sizing and geometry in other frame materials including carbon. Calfee, Parlee, Appleman and Crumpton, to name a few, all offer custom geometry on their frames. It will cost, but as you said a Mass-produced Taiwanese Carbon frame isn’t cheap either.

Btw, I have bikes in carbon, ti and steel and my favorite bike is my Della Santa. I just enjoy the lively and springy ride. Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

m_sasso
07-14-2020, 12:38 PM
Don't own any bikes made from dead dinosaurs, like the tag line reads.

soulspinner
07-14-2020, 12:57 PM
My Cervelo and my Strong Steel have very similar ride qualities the way they are set up. 25s on the Cervelo, 23s with wider rims and 23s.The steel transmits slightly more road feedback but it never tires you. The Cervelo ultimately is the stiffer bike, which can felt on more severe impacts. YMMV.

jamesdak
07-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Because "Steel is Real"!!!!!!!!

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169339008.jpg

benb
07-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Bikes can be fun regardless of what material they're made of... even if they are slow steel bikes, they don't even have to be fast steel bikes.

Elefantino
07-14-2020, 01:36 PM
The best frame material is the one I'm on at the time.

nortx-Dave
07-14-2020, 01:36 PM
Can't wait to try THIS steel bike out! My new Bishop being born!

OtayBW
07-14-2020, 01:39 PM
Ah-Whoo-Hah...!:cool:

C40_guy
07-14-2020, 01:47 PM

Or live ones!

Fixed
07-14-2020, 02:08 PM
And I like my 31 year old 500 dollar steel bottecchia better than my 5000 dollar Specialized crux

madsciencenow
07-14-2020, 02:52 PM
The best frame material is the one I'm on at the time.

^Chicken dinner time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jemdet
07-14-2020, 03:31 PM
Because "Steel is Real"!!!!!!!!

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169339008.jpg

Who made it?

jamesdak
07-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Who made it?

Luciano Paletti

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169339007.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169339004.jpg

Wakatel_Luum
07-14-2020, 07:26 PM
My heart loves steel but my head says titanium is more logical...

rustychisel
07-14-2020, 08:33 PM

Woah. Hold on there. More logical in what sense?

Titanium is a great choice if you want to ride a titanium framed bike; steel is an excellent choice if you want to ride a steel framed bike.

There, you see, just helping you out with inescapable logic.

Also, over a hundred years of bike riders found steel a perfectly acceptable metal to build a bike from. What do you know which they do not?

bfd
07-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Titanium is a great choice if you want to ride a titanium framed bike; steel is an excellent choice if you want to ride a steel framed bike.

Also, over a hundred years of bike riders found steel a perfectly acceptable metal to build a bike from. What do you know which they do not?

Well, Titanium frames have only been around since like the late 80s/early 90s, so bike riders 100 years ago wouldn’t have been exposed to the material to know if it was ”better” or not. My ti bike is an old Litespeed from the mid90s, it’s my commuter bike and is very comfortable. I still prefer my Trek Madone and Della Santa for any ride longer than 30 miles. But I could ride it on a century and have no problem.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

bobvelo
07-14-2020, 08:55 PM
I like riding a steel frame. We all have are, stories as to why we end up on steel.

jemdet
07-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Luciano Paletti

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169339007.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169339004.jpg

Beautiful! And a perfect group to compliment it. I’ll put my thumb over the seat post and saddle :)

jamesdak
07-14-2020, 09:08 PM
Beautiful! And a perfect group to compliment it. I’ll put my thumb over the seat post and saddle :)

LOL, there's a Campagnolo Aero in it's future.

mj_michigan
07-14-2020, 09:16 PM
Atlanta from the '99 catalog and mine (today).

Coda1
07-14-2020, 10:11 PM
I'm still riding a lugged steel mountain bike. It's a Trek 970 from about 1992. Great bike but after a number of winters it has some rust on it. I picked up a Dean Ti frame to build my dream bike. Hopefully I like it as well as the old Trek.

KJMUNC
07-14-2020, 10:27 PM
At some point I want a steel bike with a modern 11/12 speed groupset and carbon wheels....all the steel bikes I've had were paired with older 8 or 9 speed drivetrains (my choice), but I'd like to experience/compare to my other carbon bikes.

Ken Robb
07-14-2020, 10:47 PM
I have owned bikes of aluminum, steel, titanium, carbon. They all had some good points but I'm down to one road bike and it is the Rivendell Rambouillet that I bought new. My other bikes might have been better in some narrow envelope but the Rambo was at least pretty good at everything and I never felt that it really held me back on any ride.

Rudy
07-14-2020, 10:54 PM
"Well, Titanium frames have only been around since like the late 80s/early 90s, so bike riders 100 years ago wouldn’t have been exposed to the material to know if it was 'better' or not."

Teledyne and Speedwell both offered Ti frames in the early 70s. No quarrel with your second assertion.

Wakatel_Luum
07-15-2020, 04:22 AM

Rust...

Peter P.
07-15-2020, 04:55 AM
Steel frames with carbon forks do not count.
;)

Peter P.
07-15-2020, 04:56 AM
Double post.

rustychisel
07-15-2020, 06:16 AM
Rust...

Nope. Sorry, gonna call your logic again... my steel bike was welded up in 1964, no rust, no slop, no fatigued steel. It just is.

My aluminium bike was welded up in 2000 or thereabouts. No frame fatigue, yada yada. It just is.

The carbon fibre bike hasn't rusted, fallen apart, melted or blown up either. Fancy that.

mcteague
07-15-2020, 06:26 AM
"Well, Titanium frames have only been around since like the late 80s/early 90s, so bike riders 100 years ago wouldn’t have been exposed to the material to know if it was 'better' or not."

Teledyne and Speedwell both offered Ti frames in the early 70s. No quarrel with your second assertion.

Comparing the original Ti frames to those made of 3-2.5 and 6-4 is like comparing the old Graftek to modern carbon frames.

Tim

oldpotatoe
07-15-2020, 06:45 AM

Yup, except, carbon is cheap, cheap...and Yup, steel gets a bad, underserved rap but the bike makers(trekspecilizedgiantcannondale), who are in it for $, won't ever get into the steel game again.

boywander
07-15-2020, 06:53 AM
I started out riding Tange Marin Bearvalley mtb, then a Tange Prestige Paramount mtb, Slingshot mtb & road True Temper tubing, Columbus SL Rossin which I steel have to this day. I rode a Reynolds 753 Lemond which was a superb ride. Around the same time carbon trek oclv was on the market but I never liked the dead feel riding it. Now also owns several carbon which I have to admit are all nice and light and the ride quality is much better than the dead feel of the early carbon treks. I still enjoy riding my steel SL a lot and I never have any complaints in the ride quality steel.

I did swapped for a carbon fork which didn’t change the ride quality much for me.

It would be nice to get my hands on the modern steel or stainless steel frame to see how those compares. Anyone letting go of a 53-54.5.. lol

Those whom hasn’t experienced riding steel doesn’t know what their missing or not missing. But I think there’s a steel bike for everyone to like and plenty of carbon bike don’t like.

boywander
07-15-2020, 06:54 AM
Steel frames with carbon forks do not count. They are for poseurs
and wanna-be's.
;)

I guess I’m one of those.. wannabe. Wannabe pros too [emoji2957]..

How about steel with carbon rear end and fork?

vincenz
07-15-2020, 07:11 AM
At some point I want a steel bike with a modern 11/12 speed groupset and carbon wheels....all the steel bikes I've had were paired with older 8 or 9 speed drivetrains (my choice), but I'd like to experience/compare to my other carbon bikes.

A steel frame AND fork bike with modern 11/12 speed components is an intoxicating ride...

redir
07-15-2020, 07:19 AM
I love steel bikes and own 6 of them but disagree on the fit argument. I also own carbon bikes too. None of my steel bikes, jsut like the carbon ones, were custom made to fit. How close does it really have to be? Just get the frame close and 'fit' it with the seat post, saddle position, crank length, and stem length.

I won't ride anything but steel for cyclocross. A good steel cross frame takes a lot of the shock out of a rough course.

bob heinatz
07-15-2020, 09:45 AM
Hard to beat my custom modern steel frame and fork. Also I love the looks of the lugs.

Charles M
07-15-2020, 09:59 AM

shoota
07-15-2020, 10:00 AM

Mass-produced Taiwanese carbon frames, which often cost more than a custom-built steel frame, [/url]

Wait, what?? Where are the sub $1000 custom steel frames? I want one.

ddtn
07-15-2020, 10:10 AM
I love my steel bikes but I've also ridden/owned plenty forgettable ones. I'm not big on monocoque carbon and don't plan on owning one unless it's for racing (except for a De Rosa SK Pininfarina), but I love lugged carbon bikes.

Material matters but the design, engineering and build quality matter way more. Still waiting to own a Ti bike though.

fignon's barber
07-15-2020, 10:17 AM
All bikes are good if driven properly.

Charles M
07-15-2020, 10:19 AM
I like steel...

This is a bull5hit post, but I like steel.

Carbon cab be made in virtually any geometry and configuration for build...

Ti can be made in virtually any geometry and configuration for build...

Aluminum can be made in virtually any geometry and configuration for build...

I have a custom steel bike rolling right now in Italy...

I'm polishing up this bike as we speak

https://pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/InkedInked_SNY2286-2_LI-1024x550.jpg
Alu, but metal... I have no issue at all with any material.

Ah, this is hanging next to that...

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/kellybedford_ib1.jpg

And one of the last Dario built Pegs next to the Bedford...

I just don't understand the inferiority complex that drives posts like this, nearly always from steel fans...

It's a great material.

You dont have to make 5h!t up about it.

jamesdak
07-15-2020, 12:15 PM
I like steel...

This is a bull5hit post, but I like steel.

Carbon cab be made in virtually any geometry and configuration for build...

Ti can be made in virtually any geometry and configuration for build...

Aluminum can be made in virtually any geometry and configuration for build...

I have a custom steel bike rolling right now in Italy...

I'm polishing up this bike as we speak

Alu, but metal... I have no issue at all with any material.

Ah, this is hanging next to that...

And one of the last Dario built Pegs next to the Bedford...

I just don't understand the inferiority complex that drives posts like this, nearly always from steel fans...

It's a great material.

You dont have to make 5h!t up about it.

Steel is real, nothing more to be said. One day you'll understand. ;)

Totally yanking your chain of course. :):):)

boywander
07-15-2020, 01:20 PM
Nice herd you got there CharlesM. I don’t think there’s any inferiority complex here. Everyone just expressing the thoughts. The only thing I have is envious of your bike. Lol

zennmotion
07-15-2020, 02:44 PM
I love steel bikes and own 6 of them but disagree on the fit argument. I also own carbon bikes too. None of my steel bikes, jsut like the carbon ones, were custom made to fit. How close does it really have to be? Just get the frame close and 'fit' it with the seat post, saddle position, crank length, and stem length.

I won't ride anything but steel for cyclocross. A good steel cross frame takes a lot of the shock out of a rough course.

Not saying you're wrong but this is also what I thought for decades and I was also sort of right but also wrong. The fact that a typical 56 square stock road frame fits me quite nicely, having owned lots of stock steel (and Ti and Alu and Carbon) frames through the years, including racing road and CX without "fit" related complaints, I could always put the saddle and handlebar in the right place. Then I had Tom Kellogg of soon-to-be-retired Spectrum fame measure me up a few years ago for a steel frame/fork, with no surprises (from the geometry and dimension numbers) in his design, looked pretty close to a typical stock 56 cm with a few adjustments here and there including a barely noticeable 1-2cm slope on the top tube, a few (literally just 3-4mm's) extended head tube etc. Just very small incremental changes in several places compared with my many stock frames that fit well in the past. Steel fork of course to customize the handling. And the whole thing is a noticeable step up from any other bike I own of any material in terms of long-day comfort and rock solid handling. I don't know the secret sauce to what makes this feel different to me with what appears to be a very-close-to-"stock" design and I didn't ask many questions about the tweaks, just trusted Tom after a half day fitting session and interview, and picked out the color. So the "fit argument" resonates with my experience, and how my body feels after a long ride on the custom vs one of my other road bikes is not a placebo effect. The sum of all the little differences is a profoundly different feeling bike. Nor is the carvy feeling on twisty downhills or holding a line on a rough road-it's not placebo, it's Tom listening to me tell him how I like my handling (neutral steering, holds a line through a turn, ability ride no hands on sketchy gravel- "agility" is secondary). The wheels are in the right place and while I can get good/close with a stock frame, the small differences add up. Which is mostly why I would never buy a used frame that was custom designed for someone else, it makes no sense to me, I'm better off with a standard stock bike after looking carefully at the dimensions. I also think, that with age (I'm well into my --cough-- 50s and not in racing shape anymore) the small design tweaks are more noticeable as my body becomes less tolerant of aches and pains that accompany a long hard ride (and for me, now, a long hard ride is limited to something more than 4 hours these days). The Spectrum makes it easier for me to do that- it's cool that it's steel, but I don't care for nostalgia, carbon is cool (and lighter!) but I'm more focused on what's going to enhance my riding experience and fit, handling,design>>>weight any day for the riding I do. Oh, and most importantly, it's british racing green.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2589581&postcount=2

Matthew
07-15-2020, 02:55 PM
I like my lugged carbon Meivici pretty well. And my two Moots are pretty nice too. Maybe steel is great, but I don't think I'm doing myself a disservice by riding fine carbon or Ti. I'd love a CSI or Atlanta though.

DHallerman
07-15-2020, 03:30 PM

My heart loves logic, so my head says titanium has everything I want and need.

Waldo62
07-15-2020, 03:35 PM
"A spring-loaded cloud" is how a friend who briefly rode my Erickson described it. I agree and would add that it descends surgically. I've ridden a couple of dozen bikes over the last 35 years, some from builders of highest acclaim, and have never experienced anything like it. It's magical.

redir
07-15-2020, 03:41 PM
Not saying you're wrong but this is also what I thought for decades and I was also sort of right but also wrong. The fact that a typical 56 square stock road frame fits me quite nicely, having owned lots of stock steel (and Ti and Alu and Carbon) frames through the years, including racing road and CX without "fit" related complaints, I could always put the saddle and handlebar in the right place. Then I had Tom Kellogg of soon-to-be-retired Spectrum fame measure me up a few years ago for a steel frame/fork, with no surprises (from the geometry and dimension numbers) in his design, looked pretty close to a typical stock 56 cm with a few adjustments here and there including a barely noticeable 1-2cm slope on the top tube, a few (literally just 3-4mm's) extended head tube etc. Just very small incremental changes in several places compared with my many stock frames that fit well in the past. Steel fork of course to customize the handling. And the whole thing is a noticeable step up from any other bike I own of any material in terms of long-day comfort and rock solid handling. I don't know the secret sauce to what makes this feel different to me with what appears to be a very-close-to-"stock" design and I didn't ask many questions about the tweaks, just trusted Tom after a half day fitting session and interview, and picked out the color. So the "fit argument" resonates with my experience, and how my body feels after a long ride on the custom vs one of my other road bikes is not a placebo effect. The sum of all the little differences is a profoundly different feeling bike. Nor is the carvy feeling on twisty downhills or holding a line on a rough road-it's not placebo, it's Tom listening to me tell him how I like my handling (neutral steering, holds a line through a turn, ability ride no hands on sketchy gravel- "agility" is secondary). The wheels are in the right place and while I can get good/close with a stock frame, the small differences add up. Which is mostly why I would never buy a used frame that was custom designed for someone else, it makes no sense to me, I'm better off with a standard stock bike after looking carefully at the dimensions. I also think, that with age (I'm well into my --cough-- 50s and not in racing shape anymore) the small design tweaks are more noticeable as my body becomes less tolerant of aches and pains that accompany a long hard ride (and for me, now, a long hard ride is limited to something more than 4 hours these days). The Spectrum makes it easier for me to do that- it's cool that it's steel, but I don't care for nostalgia, carbon is cool (and lighter!) but I'm more focused on what's going to enhance my riding experience and fit, handling,design>>>weight any day for the riding I do. Oh, and most importantly, it's british racing green.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2589581&postcount=2

I can only take your word for it, and I do. My next bike will most likely be a custom made steel CX bike so hopefully one day I will be able to find out for myself. :beer:

zennmotion
07-15-2020, 04:39 PM
I can only take your word for it, and I do. My next bike will most likely be a custom made steel CX bike so hopefully one day I will be able to find out for myself. :beer:

From my experience (15? seasons of CX pack fodder when the pack was kind enough to allow me to catch up) the thing about a CX bike (if we're talking about a CX bike for punter racing with a number pinned accidently on the wrong side, corrected 30seconds before the start gun :help:), not "gravel" or "all road" or whatever) is that no matter what frame you ride it's gonna hurt. I always saw CX bikes as pure tools, racin' is bumpin' and all that. Shimagnolo and parts bin setups, ride it 'til you break it. Some frame designs handle better than others of course (the worst I ever rode was a gorgeous stock Waterford X22 steel, but it handled like a pig, it made me look even more like an idiot). So in that scenario, a CX custom didn't make sense for me. Now that my racing days are mostly in the rear view mirror, I'd love a custom steel CX. Rim brakes because I'm old and stubborn and the kids these day with their brakes that work don't appreciate a good slickery panic hairpin maneuver braking (or not) through the snow fence.:hello: CX rules. CX bikes rule them all! Slap down that deposit, life is too short! :banana::banana::banana:

Fixed
07-15-2020, 05:41 PM
"A spring-loaded cloud" is how a friend who briefly rode my Erickson described it. I agree and would add that it descends surgically. I've ridden a couple of dozen bikes over the last 35 years, some from builders of highest acclaim, and have never experienced anything like it. It's magical.

Love that color when something is made by hand each one is a little different
imho never let go of that bike

Years ago I raced on a Team bike a Clark Kent it had a feeling I never felt on another bike
Cheers

Blue Jays
07-15-2020, 05:44 PM
Very happy with all my frames, in all various materials, all crafted by top builders.

Wakatel_Luum
07-16-2020, 06:20 AM
Nope. Sorry, gonna call your logic again... my steel bike was welded up in 1964, no rust, no slop, no fatigued steel. It just is.

My aluminium bike was welded up in 2000 or thereabouts. No frame fatigue, yada yada. It just is.

The carbon fibre bike hasn't rusted, fallen apart, melted or blown up either. Fancy that.

I have two Merlin Extralight's and a steel Tommasini...I live next to the beach and the titanium gives me no problems with salt, rain or rust etc...the Tommasini does even though I I only ride it on sunny days now. My previous Olmo had the same problems...

There is no way I'm riding a steel bike through winter along the beach in the rain on a steel bike anymore...so for me Titanium is more logical and more suitable to poor conditions.

Plastic bikes just don't count to me anymore...IMO.

makoti
07-16-2020, 07:50 AM

Your tag line actually says you are part of the resin revolution. You need a space in between "a" and "part"

redir
07-16-2020, 09:49 AM
From my experience (15? seasons of CX pack fodder when the pack was kind enough to allow me to catch up) the thing about a CX bike (if we're talking about a CX bike for punter racing with a number pinned accidently on the wrong side, corrected 30seconds before the start gun :help:), not "gravel" or "all road" or whatever) is that no matter what frame you ride it's gonna hurt. I always saw CX bikes as pure tools, racin' is bumpin' and all that. Shimagnolo and parts bin setups, ride it 'til you break it. Some frame designs handle better than others of course (the worst I ever rode was a gorgeous stock Waterford X22 steel, but it handled like a pig, it made me look even more like an idiot). So in that scenario, a CX custom didn't make sense for me. Now that my racing days are mostly in the rear view mirror, I'd love a custom steel CX. Rim brakes because I'm old and stubborn and the kids these day with their brakes that work don't appreciate a good slickery panic hairpin maneuver braking (or not) through the snow fence.:hello: CX rules. CX bikes rule them all! Slap down that deposit, life is too short! :banana::banana::banana:

I really wanted to get one from a local builder but he's out of business now :( He was young and won some awards for his work too but alas!

I had a Trek XO Alluminum CX bike and that thing about destroyed me. I switched to a steel bike and could not believe the difference. I probably have about 15 season of CX too. I managed to claw my way to Cat2 but that's as far as I could go. My racing days are in the rear view mirror now too. But I like to enter the occasional masters race as pack fodder now. And then it's nice to double up and do the pro/1/2 race and get blown off the back at the start line :D

William
07-16-2020, 09:54 AM
Steel is real!!:banana:

;)
William