PDA

View Full Version : Continnental releases GP5000 tan wall

flying
07-13-2020, 12:09 PM
https://cdn1.cyclist.co.uk/sites/cyclist/files/styles/article_main_wide_image/public/2020/07/continental-gp-5000-tanwall.jpg?itok=0ekFRQkb

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/8437/continental-releases-tan-wall-version-of-the-gp5000-road-tyre?fbclid=IwAR23ADNIzPUYp9OpR0M1moT2GuD-IUcfdEj3j1nLxjxCmKC3OCVv1CxtLMg

Not a fan of Tan but I know many are ;)

jtbadge
07-13-2020, 12:11 PM
Releasing a new tire in only a 700c x 25 size in 2020 is a bold move

AngryScientist
07-13-2020, 12:13 PM

this is a road bike tire. it is not designed to go on your "adventure" bike or beach cruiser.

charliedid
07-13-2020, 12:13 PM

Test the market with 25mm first?

thegunner
07-13-2020, 12:18 PM
hi, i'm thegunner.

i like 25mm tires and tanwalls. :hello:

ddtn
07-13-2020, 12:27 PM
This is probably targeting the retro modern market, where tan wall is appreciated but nobody has clearance for 28s.

cgolvin
07-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Based on another current thread's title, I'd like to invite one of our more artistically inclined members to craft a "cabin fever" emoji/icon that we can use to highlight a thread once it gets its first incendiary response.

OK, sorry.

sg8357
07-13-2020, 12:29 PM
According to BRR, G5k 25mm, measure 27mm.

If Conti wanted to appeal to the Eisenhower Era Cruiser riders,
the would have made a 35mm.

sw3759
07-13-2020, 12:33 PM
have not tried any gp5k yet but that lovely tire will probably seal the deal for me

earlfoss
07-13-2020, 12:37 PM
I use 25mm tires on my Madone, and will continue to do so. Thanks for sharing! Nice to see there's another gumwall option out there.

Allcarbon
07-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Oh boi it's like they read my mind as I ordered the GP5000s in black for a friend. :banana:

Any idea how these still stack up against my Vittoria Corsa 25s with tan sidewalls? Will probably need some new tires in the not too distant future.

kramnnim
07-13-2020, 12:38 PM
neat, so I can have tan colored threads unraveling from my sidewalls instead of black :banana:

Andreas
07-13-2020, 12:41 PM
:rolleyes:

The vast majority of the market wants at least 28mm tires on their road bikes and you know it.

Continental is a German company that is selling tires to a worldwide market.
GP5000 is a road racing tire.

Your above quoted statement refers presumably to a subset of the US market. While it may be true for the US (I doubt it for road racing tires), it certainly is not true for Europe, Asia, Pacifica, South America.

Plus, the company has other products available for hobby riders that like to roll along on roads on 30+ tires.

4151zero
07-13-2020, 12:42 PM
neat, so I can have tan colored threads unraveling from my sidewalls instead of black :banana:

LOLz, so true.... but I'm still tempted to go to the 'tan' side of the continent.

vincenz
07-13-2020, 12:47 PM

Lot of reasons why there’s only one size. Could be testing, could be a manufacturing constraint, could be a lot of other things not known to you. Best guess would be because that’s the tire size that sells the most in that specific category.

Not sure why you’re all butthurt about it. Need fatter tires? Lots of other options for you, or ride better roads, or decrease your system weight.

TheseGoTo11
07-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Not sure why you’re all butthurt about it. Need fatter tires? Lots of other options for you, or ride better roads, or decrease your system weight.

I'm baffled as to why jtbadge's "bold move" comment has others riled. I was taken by surprise by the bite in Angry's comment, which seems uncharacteristic. And this one seems out of line.

Blue Jays
07-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Continental GP 5000 tires have been really great in my experience.
I am sure these will be equally fantastic for those seeking tan wall.

zzy
07-13-2020, 01:00 PM
25 makes sense because it's what pro riders will ride - not a 28. Will probably measure 27 on most wide rims anyway.

vincenz
07-13-2020, 01:05 PM
I'm baffled as to why jtbadge's "bold move" comment has others riled. I was taken by surprise by the bite in Angry's comment, which seems uncharacteristic. And this one seems out of line.

And I saw zero "bite" in Angry's comment. 25mm is a road race tire width. I agree anything more becomes more oriented to off-road use. 25mm also probably sells the most overall for that specific tire's market. It doesn't matter what the gravel bike echo chamber says.

jtbadge's comment by itself is harmless, but it's what he said AFTER Angry's shows his true context, therefore my comment on that.

AngryScientist
07-13-2020, 01:05 PM
listen guys, i was just joking around.

i thought we could still make jokes about bike components are tire size, but it seems like these days, some people are insulted about every little thing.

Angry will just be keeping his mouth shut from here on. My sincere apologies to anyone who felt insulted about my comment about 25c tires and road bicycles.

kppolich
07-13-2020, 01:07 PM
Tubeless offering would have been nice!

mtechnica
07-13-2020, 01:08 PM
this is a road bike tire. it is not designed to go on your "adventure" bike or beach cruiser.

:hello:

FlashUNC
07-13-2020, 01:12 PM
Really thought they would have gone with a run of 23/25/28 on these, but guess the 25s are just to test the waters.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 01:13 PM
I think a reasonable guess is that Continental sells more GP5000's in 25c than any other tire size, so if they were going to choose just one, sell the best-seller size.

i think they look cool!

Mark McM
07-13-2020, 01:25 PM

Accordingo the article (and the Continental web site), the full name of this tire is "Grand Prix 5000 - Special Edition Tour de France 2020". As a special edition tire, I wouldn't expect that it comes in all shapes and sizes.

This isn't the first time that Continental has released a special edition tire in a single size. A number of years ago they also has the GP4000RS, a special version of the GP4000 that had a thinner tread (to reduce rolling resistance) and only was made in 700x23c.

Some Continental special purpose racing tires are only available in one width: The GP TT (Time Trial tire) is only available in 25mm width, the Attack (road racing front tire) is available only in 23mm width, and the Force (road racing rear tire) is available only in 25mm width.

nobuseri
07-13-2020, 01:25 PM
To add to the 25mm/Conti discussion, I seem to recall the GP4K RS tires only came in 25mm as well.

TdF sponsored tire, a bit lighter weight than the GP4K.

Must be a sweet spot, selling wise.

fignon's barber
07-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Really thought they would have gone with a run of 23/25/28 on these, but guess the 25s are just to test the waters.

They could have gone the Veloflex route: make a batch of 23mm and just label them 23,25, and 28mm.

Big Dan
07-13-2020, 01:30 PM
No thanks.

Blue Jays
07-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Back in the GP3000 and GP4000 days, they also made the tires in solid colors on both tread and sidewall.
Unsure if they contained the same technology-driven high-grip compound or not.

Dino Suegiù
07-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Any idea how these still stack up against my Vittoria Corsa 25s with tan sidewalls? Will probably need some new tires in the not too distant future.
The Veloflex Corsa 25s (all-black) are better than both.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Back in the GP3000 and GP4000 days, they also made the tires in solid colors on both tread and sidewall.
Unsure if they contained the same technology-driven high-grip compound or not.

I think when they introduced "Black Chili" compound, they abandoned colored tires. Seems like most other tire mfg's have also gotten away from colored tires, i think i read something somewhere about how black is really necessary to make the best combination of properties for a tire.

GregL
07-13-2020, 01:51 PM
Dumb question: do today's tan walled tires maintain consistent color over their lifespans? I rejoiced when black walled, high performance tires became available. They stayed looking good despite riding on wet, dirty roads. In contrast, the sides of my tan walled tires always tended to become dull and gray after a few rainy rides.

Greg

Bruce K
07-13-2020, 01:55 PM
I am going to lock what should have been a simple discussion about a new tire.

The pot stirring needs to stop.

BK

William
07-13-2020, 04:19 PM
We will reopen this thread and try again, please keep it on-topic. Also, keep in mind the very few rules that this forum is run on...

Treat others respectfully,

Steer clear of partisan politics and political topics,

Classifieds are for individual member's and supporting vendors only. Don't try to sell here if you are a business and not supporting the forum,

Treat others respectfully.

W.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 04:22 PM
Excellent - so to the point then:

GP5000 comes in tubeless and [like these subject] tires, clinchers only.

various testers have tried to calculate the difference - can anyone here speak about the actual difference between the tubeless GP5000 and clincher version?

i'm guessing the clincher only is more supple, where as the tubeless is stiffer to support tubeless running?

Blue Jays
07-13-2020, 04:23 PM
"...I think when they introduced 'Black Chili' compound, they abandoned colored tires. Seems like most other tire mfg's have also gotten away from colored tires, I think I read something somewhere about how black is really necessary to make the best combination of properties for a tire..."

Yes, that is the name of the proprietary Continental technology! I couldn't recall it!
Your observations are certainly what seems to be happening in the tire marketplace.

weiwentg
07-13-2020, 04:47 PM
I think when they introduced "Black Chili" compound, they abandoned colored tires. Seems like most other tire mfg's have also gotten away from colored tires, i think i read something somewhere about how black is really necessary to make the best combination of properties for a tire.

Perhaps you read Jan Heine (https://www.renehersecycles.com/black-tread-only/)?

In the back of my mind, I may vaguely remember one of Josh Poertner's Marginal Gains podcasts covering this issue, but there are quite a few ask me anything episodes, and I have no idea which one it would be (and I'm not even sure he discussed it).

fmradio516
07-13-2020, 04:49 PM
Anyone else experience that the GP5k's sidewalls are susceptible to tears much easier than the 4ks?

Spdntrxi
07-13-2020, 04:51 PM
they looked painted on = meh

R3awak3n
07-13-2020, 05:11 PM
hope not to get this thread locked again but the best road tire is a Vittoria Corsa Control 28mm in tan color.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 05:15 PM
Perhaps you read Jan Heine (https://www.renehersecycles.com/black-tread-only/)?

yes, i think that is what i was recalling. makes sense to me.

vincenz
07-13-2020, 05:24 PM
Looks like his childish attempt to get the thread locked backfired.

Dumb question: do today's tan walled tires maintain consistent color over their lifespans? I rejoiced when black walled, high performance tires became available. They stayed looking good despite riding on wet, dirty roads. In contrast, the sides of my tan walled tires always tended to become dull and gray after a few rainy rides.

Greg

I haven’t found any to remain clean. Would like to know otherwise. Some people say to paint some shellac on, but I haven’t gone that far.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 05:25 PM
i may be in the minority, but personally, i think a nice bike with filthy tan sidewalls looks great. that well-loved look i guess.

Dead Man
07-13-2020, 05:36 PM
i may be in the minority, but personally, i think a nice bike with filthy tan sidewalls looks great. that well-loved look i guess.

totes.. i was actually pretty stoked when i opened the thread. there are PLENTY of steel frames out there on the road that cant take >25mm tires that these would look great on. i was actually on the verge of nabbing some gp5000s for the most recent bike project, but didnt want all black sidewalls.. didnt end up going tan for sake of some gray vittoria corsas i found for a steal, but if the tan gp5000 had been an option on the pulldown tab thats the way i woulda gone

Monsieur Toast
07-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Anyone else experience that the GP5k's sidewalls are susceptible to tears much easier than the 4ks?

I've thankfully had great luck with my GP5ks. No different than the 4ks I rode for years. Couple days ago I was coming up to a wooden bridge and ended up with my rear wheel in a gap between boards that was pretty rough. It was enough of a hit that I stopped to check that I didn't screw up my wheel before riding on. The tire didn't flinch (shockingly).

FlashUNC
07-13-2020, 05:42 PM
hope not to get this thread locked again but the best road tire is a Vittoria Corsa Control 28mm in tan color.

I prefer the regular Corsas vs the Controls, but the Controls are great for balancing puncture reisstance and not riding like a Gatorskin.

flying
07-13-2020, 05:53 PM

It has been called a Tour De France limited Edition

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 05:55 PM
I prefer the regular Corsas vs the Controls, but the Controls are great for balancing puncture reisstance and not riding like a Gatorskin.

the pro move for a high miles training bike is corsa front/corsa control rear. evens out the wear a little and improves the ride a bit over controls front/rear.

IMO.

54ny77
07-13-2020, 06:08 PM
This is GREAT! They look sharp too.

More choices = better. I do hope they make em in 23's eventually.

Am huge Veloflex fan past couple years but they can be finicky for getting flats, in my experience.

Plus I have years of handling confidence in Conti tires in various conditions that I don't have yet on Veloflex, so knowing the 5000s will be just as good and better, that is a plus.

I was screaming into a sweeping right hand turn this past weekend while on a ride on a bike I have set with Veloflex tires and had momentary pucker factor. :eek:

RoosterCogset
07-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Excellent - so to the point then:

GP5000 comes in tubeless and [like these subject] tires, clinchers only.

various testers have tried to calculate the difference - can anyone here speak about the actual difference between the tubeless GP5000 and clincher version?

i'm guessing the clincher only is more supple, where as the tubeless is stiffer to support tubeless running?

FWIW, tubeless tires are also clinchers. I keep seeing this nomenclature and it's confusing.

Nope.. in 25mm is better :-)

the pro move for a high miles training bike is corsa front/corsa control rear. evens out the wear a little and improves the ride a bit over controls front/rear.

IMO.
That's a interesting idea from a pure performance standpoint. Though of course it's the front tire you typically want to know won't flat.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 06:26 PM
FWIW, tubeless tires are also clinchers. I keep seeing this nomenclature and it's confusing.

well true, you can run tubeless tires as tubed clinchers, but you can not run the clinchers as tubeless.

That's a interesting idea from a pure performance standpoint. Though of course it's the front tire you typically want to know won't flat.

yea, i only do it to get more miles out of the rear.

FlashUNC
07-13-2020, 06:26 PM

All tigers are cats, but not all cats are tigers.

RoosterCogset
07-13-2020, 06:57 PM
well true, you can run tubeless tires as tubed clinchers, but you can not run the clinchers as tubeless.

You can only run tubeless tires as clinchers. With or without tubes. Tubeless clincher tires can be run tubeless. The term 'clincher' is to distinguish from 'tubular', not from tubeless.

jamesdak
07-13-2020, 06:59 PM
As the owner of around 25 steel bikes that all get ridden this is very, very happy news! :banana::banana:

RoosterCogset
07-13-2020, 07:04 PM

Exactly, all tubeless tires are clinchers (excepting tubular tires which are their own thing). Not all clinchers can be run tubeless.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 07:08 PM
Now, the real question is going to be availability of these tires.

when the GP5000's first came out, they sold at or near MSRP, but now it's easy to find a set well under msrp at most of the usual suspect discount vendors.

BTD has a pre-order for these now @69 bucks a tire ($79 msrp) - for a [non tubeless] clincher, that's quite a markup over what these can be had for in blackwall.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-grand-prix-5000-tdf-ltd-road-tire

Elefantino
07-13-2020, 07:29 PM
The Veloflex Corsa 25s (all-black) are better than both.

Veloflex Master 25s are better still.

Mark McM
07-13-2020, 07:51 PM

But all cats think they're tigers.

weisan
07-13-2020, 07:57 PM

But all cats think they're tigers.

Not all tigers are...tigers.

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/open-uri20150608-27674-188j3q9_ff1d52d0.jpeg?region=0,0,640,444

rccardr
07-13-2020, 08:17 PM
As the owner of around 25 steel bikes that all get ridden this is very, very happy news! :banana::banana:

Amen

David Benson
07-13-2020, 08:17 PM

Faster and grippier, just like the all black ones

KonaSS
07-14-2020, 06:23 AM
I can't believe tan sidewalls hit 5 pages. We REALLY need some racing going on!:banana:

oldpotatoe
07-14-2020, 06:26 AM

Correct, in spite of the "bigger, fatter, more better" noise, the most common tire size on 'ROAD' bikes is 25mm...and, 'Groad' bikes are still a pretty small segment in spite of the marketeers telling you this 'purpose driven type' is a true 'game changer'...:)

R3awak3n
07-14-2020, 06:34 AM

I was using corsas and then switched the rear to a control after a puncture and tbh saw little difference in comfort or speed but that tire has lasted the longest of any tire I have had in a while, was pretty impressed

IMO.

was running this setup but now on 2 controls.

steveoz
07-14-2020, 06:41 AM
Well crap, I was actually looking for tan sidewall and I like Contis , just got all a a pair of all black 5000s last week -guess I'll have to buy these too..

fignon's barber
07-14-2020, 06:47 AM
Correct, in spite of the "bigger, fatter, more better" noise, the most common tire size on 'ROAD' bikes is 25mm...

Got that right. The last pre-covid training ride I did had maybe 100 guys on it. Probably not one tire over 25mm. And if you want to magically "convert" the ride of a 25 to 28, let out 3 PSI.

Wattvagen
07-14-2020, 06:55 AM
it's too early to tell with these 5000's, but my biggest gripe with the conti tires i have tried over the years is that they dont age well. they seem to develop a sort of dry rot pretty quickly, which always lead to fragile/brittle sidewalls that would come apart, usually at an in opportune time.

saab2000
07-14-2020, 07:07 AM
Correct, in spite of the "bigger, fatter, more better" noise, the most common tire size on 'ROAD' bikes is 25mm...and, 'Groad' bikes are still a pretty small segment in spite of the marketeers telling you this 'purpose driven type' is a true 'game changer'...:)

Are you sure? Big gravel events fill up early in their registration process.

Gravel riding is a thing and it’s evolving and continuing to grow. No guarantees it will always be like this but I completely get the appeal: 99% less automobile traffic on many of those roads.

tomato coupe
07-14-2020, 07:15 AM
I can't believe tan sidewalls hit 5 pages. We REALLY need some racing going on!:banana:

Even harder to believe a thread about tan sidewalls got locked down in the third page. Who knew tan was so controversial?

oldpotatoe
07-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Are you sure? Big gravel events fill up early in their registration process.

Gravel riding is a thing and it’s evolving and continuing to grow. No guarantees it will always be like this but I completely get the appeal: 99% less automobile traffic on many of those roads.

No doubt but "groad' bikes still a small segment. It is a "thing" and it is 'evolving' or changing, or something but it's being pushed hard by the 'big boys', because the bike market, COVID weirdness aside', is still really flat, has been for years. Other issue is 'many of those 'roads', compared to ass-felt..are comparatively really small in number, often not maintained as well(WASHBOARD!!) and tough to get to..
PLUS, no 'support', like that little general store that you always stop at in Masonville to get a soda and look at the strange stuff for sale.

If 'events' and how they fill up was an indicator..then road riding must be YUGE(it really isn't)..Ride the Rockies(when it was all ass-felt) filed up in a matter of minutes.