PDA

View Full Version : Cabin fever in July

gdw
07-12-2020, 06:13 PM
The virus definitely seems to be effecting the forum. We're well on our way to setting an all-time summer record for locked threads and suspended or banned members.

Coffee Rider
07-12-2020, 06:37 PM
We could definitely use some bike racing, epic rides (though there can still be some now) and new bike junk to discuss. Racing and the new gear releases sort of coincide, so we could use some people having some great rides to discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbcoupe
07-12-2020, 06:50 PM
The virus definitely seems to be effecting the forum. We're well on our way to setting an all-time summer record for locked threads and suspended or banned members.

Here's a suspended band member. Cool threads and locked hair. Made lots of records. :rolleyes:

dancinkozmo
07-12-2020, 06:53 PM
what band is that ?

cgolvin
07-12-2020, 06:53 PM
Here's a suspended band member. Cool threads and locked hair. Made lots of records. :rolleyes:

They also had the mods after them … rockers, too.

cgolvin
07-12-2020, 06:54 PM
what band is that ?

*Who* band is that

dancinkozmo
07-12-2020, 06:58 PM
*Who* band is that

dont you mean 'whom" ?

cgolvin
07-12-2020, 07:00 PM
dont you mean 'whom" ?

I mean “that band is The Who”

gbcoupe
07-12-2020, 07:01 PM
Couldn't resist. Just trying to lighten it up.

dancinkozmo
07-12-2020, 07:05 PM
I mean “that band is The Who”

ok thanks

i wont get fooled again

Dino Suegiù
07-12-2020, 07:12 PM
The virus definitely seems to be affecting the forum. We're well on our way to setting an all-time summer record for locked threads and suspended or banned members.
Perhaps the "problem" then lies also elsewhere, at the very least certainly not restricted only to members and the locks applied to threads, often with such alacrity and even a certain smugness. The inconsistency of policy along with what might even be seen as personal vendetta in certain cases is becoming hypocritical and ridiculous, a sort of selective kindergarten-y level approach in a presumably more mature and sophisticated world. It has become fatiguing, and I think many feel both frustrated and tired, though I speak only for myself.

:( https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/statusicon/thread_hot_lock.gif :(

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2020, 07:19 PM
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/102736389-Untitled-1.jpg?v=1433534019&w=678&h=381

Mike V
07-12-2020, 07:22 PM
what band is that ?

It's The High Numbers

Tickdoc
07-12-2020, 07:22 PM
Time to revisit the need for an off-topic, un moderated, free for all section Again

:banana:

reuben
07-12-2020, 07:38 PM

I just got dinged for mentioning "the v***s", which makes me wonder how this thread exists.

charliedid
07-12-2020, 07:39 PM
Time to revisit the need for an off-topic, un moderated, free for all section Again

:banana:

I wish...

Monsieur Toast
07-12-2020, 08:04 PM
Yeah. It's a total drag opening threads and seeing the same dozen+ personalities relentlessly steering conversations towards a wall.

Bruce K
07-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Again, for a variety of reasons, an unmoderated OT section is not likely to happen here.

If you think some of what goes on is tiring, you should see the flood of emails/complaints we have been getting over the last few weeks about what appear to be fairly innocuous things.

Some complaints are absolutely valid and we deal with them as quickly as we can.

Again, we are not here 24/7 and so some threads go longer than they should. And sometimes we allow civil conversations to keep going, even when our spider sense tells us it won’t last.

<edit> To MT’s comment, we are trying to identify those folks that constantly derail threads and are sending PM’s or issuing timeouts as necessary.

We try our best.

BK

cgolvin
07-12-2020, 08:11 PM
ok thanks

i wont get fooled again

Good.

Riding can be such an amazing journey, not just for people of my generation — there’s no substitute. I can’t explain.

William
07-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Good.

Riding can be such an amazing journey, not just for people of my generation — there’s no substitute. I can’t explain.

I can see what you did there...well done sir!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/kDbiE1vK2x29O/giphy.gif

W.

gbcoupe
07-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Bravo!

gbcoupe
07-12-2020, 09:46 PM
Well that didn't work. No smashing gif.

paredown
07-12-2020, 09:52 PM
I think a lot of peeps are under stress--jobs/economy uncertain, school return uncertain. safety/health uncertain. Unsurprisingly, some of it manifests itself here in snark.

We had our first social outing since March--appropriate precautions, outside--and it was a topic of discussion--no one knows what comes next. We have friends who teach, who feel like they are being pressured to return to teaching in the Fall in schools and situations that will endanger their (and the children's) health.

Lots of industries are imploding--my wife works on branding/licencing for retail products--she has not had a substantial client for quite some time--and will not--so it looks like the end of a a thirty year career.

Our local malls can open--but between bankruptcies of major tenants along with some sharpened pencils in the few firms left standing, those malls will be ghost towns.... hundreds of jobs lost there that won't be coming back.

Throw in the restaurants--and it starts to look like there are going to be a lucky few with government jobs or jobs in protected industries, and a whole lot of people without jobs, even if we figure out how to deal with the ongoing Covid worries.

We all need to take a deep breath, focus on what we can control, ride our bikes so we don't go crazy--and be kind.

choke
07-12-2020, 10:03 PM
Good.

Riding can be such an amazing journey, not just for people of my generation — there’s no substitute. I can’t explain. I love how when I'm on the bike and going mobile I can see for miles, it's a bargain, maybe even the best I ever had. It's a sure way to cure the summertime blues, especially if I go with my wife.

Bruce K
07-12-2020, 10:22 PM
But when you ride, do you become part of the machine?

BK

many_styles
07-13-2020, 12:38 AM
I think a lot of peeps are under stress--jobs/economy uncertain, school return uncertain. safety/health uncertain. Unsurprisingly, some of it manifests itself here in snark.

We had our first social outing since March--appropriate precautions, outside--and it was a topic of discussion--no one knows what comes next. We have friends who teach, who feel like they are being pressured to return to teaching in the Fall in schools and situations that will endanger their (and the children's) health.

Lots of industries are imploding--my wife works on branding/licencing for retail products--she has not had a substantial client for quite some time--and will not--so it looks like the end of a a thirty year career.

Our local malls can open--but between bankruptcies of major tenants along with some sharpened pencils in the few firms left standing, those malls will be ghost towns.... hundreds of jobs lost there that won't be coming back.

Throw in the restaurants--and it starts to look like there are going to be a lucky few with government jobs or jobs in protected industries, and a whole lot of people without jobs, even if we figure out how to deal with the ongoing Covid worries.

We all need to take a deep breath, focus on what we can control, ride our bikes so we don't go crazy--and be kind.

Well said... [emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
07-13-2020, 06:41 AM

BK

Ha! Nice.

oldpotatoe
07-13-2020, 07:39 AM
It's like winter
-steel bikes and comfort
-rotating wheel weight
-squishy tires

threads started all yesterday..BUT these are unprecedented times for a LOT of reasons. MUCH more contentious than either around 1968(VietNam), or in the aftermath of various assassinations..JFK, RFK, Dr King....perfect storm type thing......BUT

Things will be OK in the end..if they aren't OK, it's not the 'end'...:)

redir
07-13-2020, 09:26 AM
For most of us it will be all over when there is a vaccine. So there is something to look forward too. It's only a matter of time. In the mean time just be smart about it.

RFC
07-13-2020, 11:05 AM
It's like winter
-steel bikes and comfort
-rotating wheel weight
-squishy tires

threads started all yesterday..BUT these are unprecedented times for a LOT of reasons. MUCH more contentious than either around 1968(VietNam), or in the aftermath of various assassinations..JFK, RFK, Dr King....perfect storm type thing......BUT

Things will be OK in the end..if they aren't OK, it's not the 'end'...:)

Short term traumatic events we can get over and back to normal. Vietnam, while highly controversial, for most of us, did not disrupt our daily lives.

What's going on now is more like a world war that goes on for months or years. The P***** impacts everyone's lives and everyone is at risk. The world has changed forever and our lives and will forever mark our lives.

cgolvin
07-13-2020, 11:48 AM
I love how when I'm on the bike and going mobile I can see for miles, it's a bargain, maybe even the best I ever had. It's a sure way to cure the summertime blues, especially if I go with my wife.

Both excellent, chapeau.

I was tempted to say that my bikes provide a magic bus ride but felt that was too much.

Latestart
07-13-2020, 11:58 AM
For comparison... let's imagine this discussion board in Spring of 1942. Would we lock threads for:

People discussing the war and the right/wrong of the sides?
People discussing rumors of a mass genocide of jews?
People discussing chemical warfare
People discussing the imprisonment of Japanese-Americans in CA?
People discussing the limits on biking because of materials availability?

I think we have to be realistic - Covid, Race, Politics and the economy are on people's minds more than ever. We do owe each other polite conversation and room for disagreement. And I could see a separate section. But it is hard to imagine saying 'pretend this is not going on'.

After flying 125k miles last year I haven't been on a plane since February - life is definitely different and that creates opportunities and challenges. Let's embrace that and each other.

Tickdoc
07-13-2020, 06:17 PM
For comparison... let's imagine this discussion board in Spring of 1942. Would we lock threads for:

I think we have to be realistic - Covid, Race, Politics and the economy are on people's minds more than ever. We do owe each other polite conversation and room for disagreement. And I could see a separate section. But it is hard to imagine saying 'pretend this is not going on'.

After flying 125k miles last year I haven't been on a plane since February - life is definitely different and that creates opportunities and challenges. Let's embrace that and each other.

I agree, but there was a huge aire of civility and accountability present then that does not exist today. You had to write it down and sign your name and there were reprocussions that Also do not exist today.

Still, I still agree.

Wattvagen
07-13-2020, 06:29 PM
cabin fever - no way. not here!

since all business travel, including commuting is now dead, i've been riding more miles than ever.

it's quite amazing really, i see my family more, exercise more, eat healthier and waste less time in a car or train.

there is a LOT of bad about covid, but cabin fever is not one of my problems.

daker13
07-13-2020, 09:13 PM
My family isn't going on vacation this summer, and I miss going to NH and hiking and seeing my family. But I can still get on my bike and go for a long ride, and I'm enjoying those, and am grateful for them.

Web1111a
07-14-2020, 12:14 AM
Think about it Netflix is a discussion point

gasman
07-14-2020, 01:19 AM

Yes we are all aware that these impact all of us on a daily basis. But while many, if not most members are able to have a civil discussion, almost universally the discussion devolves with non-productive comments and outright rudeness from some members . I wish it were a different reality but there always seems to be someone who blows up the discussion, turns it into a pissing match so the thread gets closed.

The mods all do this on a volunteer basis and we all have real lives. We also go on vacation, have family emergencies, etc . We can’t know every post made on every thread , every day. Hence the rules to avoid politics among other subjects.
There are lots of other places to discuss politics, covid and other world events. These events all impact us I know.

This is not 1942 with only newspapers, letters to the editor and the corner store to sit around and discuss current events. Go to FB, IG or across the hall if you want to go into political discussions. It’s not that we don’t think these issues are important, they are , but go elsewhere.

Let’s stick to bikes which was the original intent of the forum. It’s worked for 20 years.

tuxbailey
07-14-2020, 05:59 AM
I personally think the amount of moderation in the locked threads were just about right. Give them a run for a few pages so the community can blow off some steam (and/or voice some opinions) then everyone can calm down. Add some spice to the forum. :banana:

That is just me though, they don't really bother me much other than changed my opinions on some members.

:bike:

OtayBW
07-14-2020, 07:05 AM
I personally think the amount of moderation in the locked threads were just about right. Give them a run for a few pages so the community can blow off some steam (and/or voice some opinions) then everyone can calm down. Add some spice to the forum. :banana:

That is just me though, they don't really bother me much other than changed my opinions on some members.

:bike:
Most commonly, yes. Occasionally (or more), no. IMO....

fignon's barber
07-14-2020, 07:16 AM
This is not 1942 with only newspapers, letters to the editor and the corner store to sit around and discuss current events. Go to FB, IG or across the hall if you want to go into political discussions. It’s not that we don’t think these issues are important, they are , but go elsewhere.

Let’s stick to bikes which was the original intent of the forum. It’s worked for 20 years.

Totally agree. Also, the whole Woke Culture thing has no place in a bicycle forum.

Wattvagen
07-14-2020, 07:24 AM
haha, i'm a noob to this forum, but had a good chuckle at the fellow in the other thread who got deeply insulted and felt "condescended" when someone else said road bikes should have 25mm tires.

that's pretty over the top!

in all seriousness, this seems like a great space and discussion board. thanks for the hard and probably thankless work.

Blue Jays
07-14-2020, 07:26 AM
Excellent post. Thank you, @gasman.

redir
07-14-2020, 07:35 AM
I agree, but there was a huge aire of civility and accountability present then that does not exist today. You had to write it down and sign your name and there were reprocussions that Also do not exist today.

Still, I still agree.

I think this is true too and in fact you can see it in old newsreels and interviews and such.

It does make me wonder about what the civility was like in say 1855? Because it got so bad that 5 years later we were shooting at each other.

FlashUNC
07-14-2020, 08:14 AM
I think this is true too and in fact you can see it in old newsreels and interviews and such.

It does make me wonder about what the civility was like in say 1855? Because it got so bad that 5 years later we were shooting at each other.

Charles Sumner was one who was on the business end of that eras "civility."

peanutgallery
07-14-2020, 08:19 AM
But, but, but... he'd called Preston Brooks 8th cousin 4 times removed... a scalawag!!! The horror

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

redir
07-14-2020, 10:11 AM

Back in the day when they used to beat each other up on the Senate floor :eek:

KonaSS
07-14-2020, 12:12 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with most that has been posted in this thread. I skip over sooo many discussion topics cause I just don't want to go down those roads. I try my hardest not to put negativity out in this world and not to consume it.

Wattvagen
07-14-2020, 12:24 PM
I try my hardest not to put negativity out in this world and not to consume it.

good policy.

Latestart
07-14-2020, 12:43 PM
We appreciate the "free labor" to keep this going.

We are not the only bike board trying to sort this out.. found this thread on a board in the UK. Maybe Brits are more reasonable online? Hard to say, but interestingly different tone to discussion.

For my part, flame wars online are pretty low value; engaging individual people and groups IRL and donating time and money and VOTING will help in the long term.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/348974/